IRIX NFS server and Linux NFS client

Post by Steffen Persvol » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:10:09

Hi all,

Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a directory
exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version of IRIX
yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine, but if I
try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".

I'll appreciate any help.

Regards,
--
  Steffen Persvold   | Scalable Linux Systems |   Try out the world's best

Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 |   Olaf Helsets vei 6   |      - ScaMPI 1.13.8 -
Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 |   N0621 Oslo, NORWAY   | >320MBytes/s and <4uS latency

-

Post by Steffen Persvol » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:30:14

> Hi all,

> Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
> nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a directory
> exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version of IRIX
> yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine, but if I
> try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".

> I'll appreciate any help.

I forgot to mention that NFSv3 works when an IRIX client mounts the same
directory (i.e the directory shows up as "nfs" and not "nfs2" in the mount
table on the IRIX client).

Could it be that IRIX only supports NFSv3 with TCP and not UDP (I didn't
try TCP mounting on the Linux client) ?

Post by Trond Myklebus » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:20:10

     > I forgot to mention that NFSv3 works when an IRIX client mounts
     > the same directory (i.e the directory shows up as "nfs" and not
     > "nfs2" in the mount table on the IRIX client).

     > Could it be that IRIX only supports NFSv3 with TCP and not UDP
     > (I didn't try TCP mounting on the Linux client) ?

Have you applied

  http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.18/linux-2.4.18-seekdir.dif

in order to work around the glibc-2.x readdir bugs?

Cheers,
  Trond
-

Post by Thomas Duff » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:20:11

>> Hi all,

>> Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
>> nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a
>> directory exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version
>> of IRIX yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine,
>> but if I try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".

What version of IRIX are you using?

There was a fix put into IRIX in the 6.5.12/13 timeframe that made it
more compatible with Linux.  Make sure you are updated to at least that
release.

-tduffy
-

Post by Steffen Persvol » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:30:10

> >> Hi all,

> >> Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
> >> nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a
> >> directory exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version
> >> of IRIX yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine,
> >> but if I try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".

> What version of IRIX are you using?

> There was a fix put into IRIX in the 6.5.12/13 timeframe that made it
> more compatible with Linux.  Make sure you are updated to at least that
> release.

Hmm It's IRIX 6.4 and unfortunately the server can''t be upgraded. Is
there a ChangeLog somewhere (for IRIX) which describes the changes you
mention a bit more in detail ? I looked at the SGI homepage, but I didn't
seem to find
it.

Post by Thomas Duff » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:50:08

> Hmm It's IRIX 6.4 and unfortunately the server can''t be upgraded. Is
> there a ChangeLog somewhere (for IRIX) which describes the changes you
> mention a bit more in detail ? I looked at the SGI homepage, but I didn't
> seem to find
> it.

AHHH.  IRIX 6.4...yuck.  All bets are off for that one.  IRIX 6.3 and
6.4 were probably the worst releases ever (said in comic guy voice :).
6.3 was a one-off to support the o2 and 6.4 was a one-off to support the
Origin 2xxx series.  I would *highly* recommend upgrading to 6.5.x.

For one, NFS v3 was not very mature in the 6.4 days.  I would stick to
NFS v2 if you cannot upgrade the OS.  But *please* upgrade the OS :)

-tduffy

  signature.asc
< 1K Download

1. Linux NFS client and IRIX NFS server

We have been having some problems with the linux NFS client talking to
an IRIX NFS server.

Here is the scenario.  Our developers have SGI boxes on their desktops
and they are editing their code on those boxes.  They also have a Linux
RH5.2 box running 2.2.1 kernel.  When they are done making changes to
their code they save their files and then run make in the Linux box
window.  The Linux box might see the changes to the file in about 30-60
seconds after they save the file.  Our developers are saving their files
to an SGI NFS server.

I tried the following test.

SGI client box A
SGI client box B
Linux client
SGI Server

On SGI client A, I created a file and saved it to SGI server.  I then
tried to cat the file on SGI client B and on Linux client.  SGI client B
was almost instantaneous, and I had to wait for several seconds before
I could cat the file on Linux client

Is there any way to speed this up?   Instead of jacking up the attribute
caching min and max is there a way to force the Linux client to flush
the attribute cache and re-read the directory contents?

Also on a related topic why do we see very little latency on SGI boxes
when talking to the same server when all mount parameters (attribute
caching, etc) are set the same way?

Thanks
-Andrew

2. how to set

3. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

4. Help with multiple ethers please

5. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

6. Network card driver

7. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.

8. Stupid Question re:magic SysRq

9. OS/2 NFS client and Linux NFS Server help needed

10. OS/2 NFS Client and Linux NFS Server?

11. FC/2 NFS Client problem with Linux NFS Server

12. NFS woes: tcsh's internal ls fails on Solaris 2.6 client / IRIX 6.x server

13. nfs: Irix client, DEC server