eepro100 ?

Post by Robert L. Harri » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:20:08

I have 2 machines with eepro100 cards.  I used the original driver for
them out of habit and on the last 2.4.20 kernel get A LOT of:

eth0: freeing mc frame.

in my dmesg log.  Out of curiosity I tried with the alternate driver and
that seems to have gone away.  Is one depreciated or are they both
viable and just different?   The help message doesn't really say much on
the topic.

< >     EtherExpressPro/100 support (eepro100, original Becker driver)
< >     EtherExpressPro/100 support (e100, Alternate Intel driver)

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B

DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE.  I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

eepro100 ?

Post by Alan Co » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:40:06

> in my dmesg log.  Out of curiosity I tried with the alternate driver and
> that seems to have gone away.  Is one depreciated or are they both
> viable and just different?   The help message doesn't really say much on
> the topic.

> < >     EtherExpressPro/100 support (eepro100, original Becker driver)
> < >     EtherExpressPro/100 support (e100, Alternate Intel driver)

e100 is intels own driver which was initially proprietary but has since been
cleaned up a lot and relicensed GPL, then merged with the kernel. The e100
driver is probably the best driver to be using nowdays although both should
work reliably

-