Reset PCI card

Post by Nix N. Ni » Fri, 24 May 2002 18:30:11

The symptom:

Sometimes, when I switch between virtual terminals, (away from X ==
tty7), instead of getting my usual login prompt, the picture I've had
during my X session (or the picture of the display manager) stays on the
screen, albeit with some of the colours screwed up (as if it were a 256
colour palette-based display, even though it's 24 bit colour - you know,
like in Windows, when you have 256 colours and you switch from one app
to another and the colours in your background picture get all frelled
up).  The terminal does switch over to the appropriate tty because I can
log in and type whatever (blindly though) and it does work.

The problem:

There is no way to somehow reset my video card so that it once again
switches between X and console mode correctly.

The question:

Is there any way of fooling an AGP card (or a PCI card) into believing
that the computer has been powercycled/rebooted/whatever ?
Alternatively, is there any other approach to fixing this problem (==
getting my consoles back) ?  I have no frame buffer devices compiled
into the kernel (vanilla 2.4.18).  This problem seems to be video card
independent and it seems that starting multiple X servers tends to
precipitate this problem.  So far, I have experienced it with
NVidia(AGP, has DRI), Voodoo5/5500(PCI, has DRI), ATI Rage Mobility P/M
(AGP-Laptop, no DRI).
It's as if the video card all of a sudden refused to switch modes from
1024x768x24 to console and back.

The solution:
The only solution I could find (obviously unsatisfactory) is to reboot.
Hence my question:  I'd like to fool the card into thinking I've
rebooted, or otherwise get it switching modes again.

Thanks for your attention.

-

Reset PCI card

Post by Michael Dunsk » Sat, 25 May 2002 20:40:09

Hi!

The "svgalib" has a tool named "reset_vga". It completely resets your
VGA-card . You may try it... but it's only a workaround at the cause and
not at the symptom.

I used it a longer time ago with a similar problem (only slightly
similar - programmed the VGA-card "by hand", and needed to clear the
scrambled output I produced :-) ).

ciao

Michael

 > The symptom:
 >
 > Sometimes, when I switch between virtual terminals, (away from X ==
 > tty7), instead of getting my usual login prompt, the picture I've had
 > during my X session (or the picture of the display manager) stays on
 > the screen, albeit with some of the colours screwed up (as if it were
 > a 256 colour palette-based display, even though it's 24 bit colour -
 > you know, like in Windows, when you have 256 colours and you switch
 > from one app to another and the colours in your background picture get
 > all frelled up).  The terminal does switch over to the appropriate tty
 > because I can log in and type whatever (blindly though) and it does
 > work.

-

Reset PCI card

Post by Nix N. Ni » Sun, 26 May 2002 04:10:11

> Hi!

> The "svgalib" has a tool named "reset_vga". It completely resets your
> VGA-card . You may try it... but it's only a workaround at the cause and
> not at the symptom.

That package doesn't have a nice automake/autconf installer, so I didn't
run across the reset_vga thingy at first.  I did, however, make it work
with mode3:

1. SSH in
2. init 3
3. mode3
4. init 5
5. Close SSH
6. Walk over to the box
7. Log into all the text mode ttys (tty[1-6]), type "clear" and log out.

You're right though.  This shouldn't be happening in the first place.

> I used it a longer time ago with a similar problem (only slightly
> similar - programmed the VGA-card "by hand", and needed to clear the
> scrambled output I produced :-) ).

> ciao

> Michael

>  > The symptom:

>  > Sometimes, when I switch between virtual terminals, (away from X ==
>  > tty7), instead of getting my usual login prompt, the picture I've had
>  > during my X session (or the picture of the display manager) stays on
>  > the screen, albeit with some of the colours screwed up (as if it were
>  > a 256 colour palette-based display, even though it's 24 bit colour -
>  > you know, like in Windows, when you have 256 colours and you switch
>  > from one app to another and the colours in your background picture get
>  > all frelled up).  The terminal does switch over to the appropriate tty
>  > because I can log in and type whatever (blindly though) and it does
>  > work.

> -

Thanks for all the help.

-

1. PCI ethernet card shares irq with PCI scsi card

Hallo,

I've got a problem getting my network up and running.
When I want to put my eth0 up (compex PCI card using ne2k-pci) I got a
siocsifflafs:try again error. I found out that it had something to do with
irq's. A cat /proc/interrupts shows me that the PCI NCR810 scsi card was on
that IRQ. In windows everything works fine, so I figured linux could do it
to.
I did some research and found that the scsi driver needed some modifications
(something with SA_INTTERUPTS that need to be remnoved). I tried it, but it
failed (compilor errors). Can someone help me out on this on?

changing irq's isn't possble, since I dont have that option in my BIOS and
besides, I dont have any other free IRQ left...    Please help!

Vincent

2. Help with EXB-210 8mm stacker on Solaris2.3

3. PCI Riser card for Multia and S3 PCI card

4. LILO - URGENT . VERY URGENT

5. how to get unixware v7 recognize pci modem and pci sound card??

6. :-) TOOL FOR MS-INTERNETSERVER :-)))))

7. need to change/reset the IRQ on a 3com PCI 3C905B-TX

8. linux SLS distribution

9. Patch(2.4.6):serial unmaintained (bugfix pci timedia/sunix/exsys pci cards)

10. Regular PCI to Compact PCI riser card?

11. Does a 4422 pci cards really need a 66 Mhz PCI bus ?

12. PCI SIIG scsi PCI card

13. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card