drivers/block/paride/pd.c vs. generic IDE code

drivers/block/paride/pd.c vs. generic IDE code

Post by Arpi » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:20:05

Hi,

I've recently bought an parallel-to-ide interface, and after some kernel
hacking to get it work i found several problems with the currect (2.4.19)
paride interface. Actually the files drivers/block/paride/p?.c and pcd.c
are stripped down ide interface code (duplicate of the generic ide code at
drivers/ide/*)

As you're on changing/redesigning the IDE code of the 2.5 tree, I would
consider taking a look at the paride interface and include it into the new
generic IDE code.

Current problems/limitations of paride code:
- no support for LBA (>32GB) or big (>128GB) disks
  (i've hacked LBA support into pd.c to get my 40G hdd work - i'll prepare a
   patch when i'm statisfied with testing results)
- no ioctls for hdparm and other hdd utils to control the devices

I think the problem is that paride was developed many years ago  and is not
maintained/updated to the changes of the IDE interface (i've sent
mail a week ago to the author - no answer yet)
It seems this part of the code have been somehow forgotten :(

Either it should be extended to avoid teh above mentioned limitations (i'm
working on that) or the better would be merging it with the generic ide code
(i don't know the kernel's generic ide code yet enough to do it myself).
The former means lots of code duplication what i want to avoid if possible.
The later has a big problem though, actually the paride drivers have custom
_functions_ to read/write IDE/ATA registers and data blocks instead of using
just inb/outb or DMA. I don't know if the current/planned new IDE code can
deal with it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

-

drivers/block/paride/pd.c vs. generic IDE code

Post by Jonathan Amer » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:40:05

Quote:>Hi,

>I've recently bought an parallel-to-ide interface, and after some kernel
>hacking to get it work i found several problems with the currect (2.4.19)
>paride interface. Actually the files drivers/block/paride/p?.c and pcd.c
>are stripped down ide interface code (duplicate of the generic ide code at
>drivers/ide/*)

>As you're on changing/redesigning the IDE code of the 2.5 tree, I would
>consider taking a look at the paride interface and include it into the new
>generic IDE code.

>Current problems/limitations of paride code:
>- no support for LBA (>32GB) or big (>128GB) disks
>  (i've hacked LBA support into pd.c to get my 40G hdd work - i'll prepare a
>   patch when i'm statisfied with testing results)

 There appears to be LBA support in 2.5 nowadays - I've backported the
patch (which appears to be working - no guarrentees though!).

 http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~jdamery/pd.lba.patch

 J.
-

1. 2.5.15 : drivers/block/paride/pd.c minor unused var

Hello all,
  This patch removes an unused function variable..

Regards,
Frank

--- drivers/block/paride/pd.c.old       Sat May  4 12:23:09 2002

 int pd_init (void)

-{       int i;
+{
        request_queue_t * q;

        if (disable) return -1;

-

2. USERADD...cant get it to work right

3. Linux 2.5.68 - Debug statement after return in drivers/block/paride/bpck6.c

4. Roxen or HTdig for AIX 4.1.5

5. 2.5.15 : drivers/block/paride/pcd.c minor unused var patch

6. nroff 'xerox' driver

7. IDE oops with generic ide driver

8. Korn Shell question

9. NCR5380 generic driver code, ALPHA T128/128F/228 SCSI driver

10. Q: is there any PD code for PCI drivers?

11. IDE vs. EIDE vs. Ultra IDE

12. Remove compile warning from drivers/ide/pci/generic.h

13. Any PD source for Queues/Stacks/FIFOs/Generic DB MGMT