Honest does not pay here...

Post by Steven Barnhar » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:10:09

> I've had some discussion with an ex-NVidia guy who was there while
they
> were doing the driver release.

> They wanted to dual GPL/BSD license the kernel part in the first
place,
> then they realised they had a problem.  They don't own the copyright
on all
> that code themselves, nor do they have the right to redistribute specs
for
> all of the hardware without NDA, because it consists in part of
purchased
> 'IP blocks' (as hardware people call libraries).  So in the end
they've
> opened up as far as they were allowed by preexisting constraints.

> Remember, the hardware was not constructed with an open source driver
in
> mind.  It's fairly easy to build hardware which can have open source
> drivers (you choose your IP block vendors carefully), but NVidia did
not do
> that in the first place, and now they are stuck.

> So your belief about hardware is just plain false, unfortunately.
You're
> free not to buy their hardware, but I don't think you are being fair
to dis
> them when they appear to have gotten the point of open source but been
> stymied by other vendors.  NVidia do try hard to give you the right to
use
> their stuff with Linux, but there is only so far they can go.

> I expect if Linux makes them enough money, they might buy the rights
they
> don't have, and release the driver in full.  But don't expect that to
> happen soon, because if you think proprietary software licenses can be
> expensive, you haven't seen hardware.

> Andrew

Finally someone who explained this to everyone. Thanks Andrew you
cleared this up to quite a few people.
--
Steven

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9357 F403 B0A1 E18D 86D5  2230 BB92 6D64 D516 0A94

-

1. Honest does not pay here ...

Well, all this goes to show you is that if you try to do the right thing
and you have something of value, you are attacked.

I have enjoyed begin called everything from a turncoat, backstabber,
cheater, liar, theif, weasle.

I guess I should not have said anything, and behaved like the rest.

You know the embedded, the appliance, etc ... resellers who we all know
close up the code and ship for commerial reasons.  Funny how they can do
it and nobody cares or they hide with a grin screaming NIMBY NIMBY.
Everyone is doing it and everyone looks away.

Best of all some of the worst name callers are the ones who use the code I
wrote to enable them to make money.  Yet if you have something which does
not exist in the kernel and you adopt an API to use kernel calls, you get
branded and hated.

It could not have happened to a nicer loser, "fill in the blank" ...

Well you all have gotten all kinds of goodie for free, and I just want to
keep one of my pieces of hard work that was created during the time I was
booted out.

Well I was thinking of giving part of it to the community after I
recovered my costs of development, now I think not.

At least I have the integrity to state clearly my intentions, while the
rest hide and cower in corners.  This reminds me of a bucket of crabs.

Well I really wanted to use every dirty word in the book, but it is not
worth it.

I will plan to put "linux-ide.org" and "linuxdiskcert.org" up for sale.
Additionally I will try to arrange for a legal transfer of the NDA's
attached to "Linux ATA Development" to the individual or group who wish to
purchase the access, pays all legal fees/work to to complete the transaction.
I wisely attached any and all NDA's to the fore mentioned organization.

If you are interested, please contact me offline.
Please also have the means to purchase the information to be transferred
which is not covered by any of the NDA's.  This will include various
pieces of IP which was scheduled to be transfered to the kernel, but now
will only be for sale as an entire package.

The transaction for purchase will be executed via a wire transfer of funds
to a specified account, once cleared it you will receive a manifest.

regards,

-ah

-

2. When isn't recvmsg() and sendmsg() implemented yet for networking?

3. Brilliant Ideia

4. An honest question From an Honest Newbie

5. Server POP3 set up?

6. An honest Question From an Honest Newbie

7. RewriteRule & Servlets

8. COMMERCIAL: ~twaddle - pay and get paid for Free Software

9. Honest opinions - switching to Apples and Linux from Windows (not a troll!)

10. How do you boot DOS not typing dos?

11. UK - How not to pay the Microsoft tax