SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by David Shirle » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:30:06



Hi Guys,

I was running 2.4.18 with an Asus A7M266-D Board with Athlon 2000 MP's fine,
I decided to try out 2.4.19-rc2-ac2 and now the machine doesn't even boot.

With no kernel options (in grub) it gets upto "ENABLING IO-APIC IRQ's" and
a little
bit further then it hangs and prints out "APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)"

If i put in noapic in grub it does exactly the same thing but prints out
the above lots and
lots in quick succession and with CPU1 not 0.

Btw: It does the same thing with MPS1.4 rather than 1.1

Anyone?

Cheers
Dave

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Amith Varghes » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:50:05


I have the same setup with the same exact problem.

Amith


> Hi Guys,

> I was running 2.4.18 with an Asus A7M266-D Board with Athlon 2000 MP's fine,
> I decided to try out 2.4.19-rc2-ac2 and now the machine doesn't even boot.

> With no kernel options (in grub) it gets upto "ENABLING IO-APIC IRQ's" and
> a little
> bit further then it hangs and prints out "APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)"

> If i put in noapic in grub it does exactly the same thing but prints out
> the above lots and
> lots in quick succession and with CPU1 not 0.

> Btw: It does the same thing with MPS1.4 rather than 1.1

> Anyone?

> Cheers
> Dave

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Zwane Mwaikamb » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:20:09



> bit further then it hangs and prints out "APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)"

That looks really odd, thats actually a reserved bit. I'll try dig a
little further.

        Zwane

--
function.linuxpower.ca

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Mikael Pettersso » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:40:07




>> bit further then it hangs and prints out "APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)"

>That looks really odd, thats actually a reserved bit. I'll try dig a
>little further.

08 is a "Receive Accept Error" for all but the P4 family.
The K7s tend to be like the P6s.

/Mikael
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Zwane Mwaikamb » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:00:08



> 08 is a "Receive Accept Error" for all but the P4 family.
> The K7s tend to be like the P6s.

-EBRAIN off by one, i plead lack of coffee...

Cheers,
        Zwane

--
function.linuxpower.ca

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Greg Loui » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:10:09


Same problem has been encountered with a Supermicro 370DLR dual-PIII
(Coppermine) board.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by David Shirle » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:20:06


OK I just put on 2.4.19-rc3 and it works fine, so maybe its something in
the ac patch?
D.


>Hi Guys,

>I was running 2.4.18 with an Asus A7M266-D Board with Athlon 2000 MP's fine,
>I decided to try out 2.4.19-rc2-ac2 and now the machine doesn't even boot.

>With no kernel options (in grub) it gets upto "ENABLING IO-APIC IRQ's" and
>a little
>bit further then it hangs and prints out "APIC error on CPU0: 00(08)"

>If i put in noapic in grub it does exactly the same thing but prints out
>the above lots and
>lots in quick succession and with CPU1 not 0.

>Btw: It does the same thing with MPS1.4 rather than 1.1

>Anyone?

>Cheers
>Dave

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

>More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

/-----------------------------------
David Shirley
System's Administrator
Computer Science - Curtin University
(08) 9266 2986
-----------------------------------/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

 
 
 

SMP Problem with 2.4.19-rc2 on Asus A7M266-D

Post by Alan Co » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:50:22



> OK I just put on 2.4.19-rc3 and it works fine, so maybe its something in
> the ac patch?

The -ac patch has the summit SMP work in it. This means it can boot on
the ultra high end cool IBM stuff. It should also boot on the normal SMP
stuff too but in a few cases right now does not.

There are IBM folks looking into this so I've left the problem in my
tree while it gets sorted. Ultimately it does need to be solved for real

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/