REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Robert Hui » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:19:44

just want to see if anyone else here is interested in such a topic. I have
come across little quirks so far that leads me to believe it's not so
straightforward.

Robert Huie

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:15:26

Do you mind sharing the information on the quirks you see? I wrote a
P/Invoke GAPI sample that works fine except that I'm seeing some jerkiness -
I cannot get a simple flying box to fly smoothly

Alex Feinman
MVP Windows Media Center

Quote:> just want to see if anyone else here is interested in such a topic. I have
> come across little quirks so far that leads me to believe it's not so
> straightforward.

> Robert Huie

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Robert Hui » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:30:10

well for one thing i can only seem to call GXopenInput and GXcloseinput. i
can't call GXgetdefaultkeys (probably because the return struct isn't
consistent with the gx.h). I couldn't even get as far as animating because I
can't even find how to retrieve the hardware handler that the other gapi
function calls need from my class (dirived from form)

I found only one source of comment that got me going and it wasn't readily
obvious (for me) that i had to specify an entry point like so, in order for
it to work:

private static extern int GXOpenInput();

but for one of my other invoke to another dll didn't need it:

[DllImport("coredll.dll")]

private static extern short GetAsyncKeyState(int vkey);

It also took me a while to find out these info was retrieved through
dumpbin.exe.

I'm currently using GDI for my animation. since i am only animating a
character that only takes 10% of the screen it so far looks smooth. but i
plan to move over to pure gapi paint routines if i do encounter some
performance difficulties.

could you send me your pinvoke to gapi sample?

One little quirk i noticed in the ppc2003 emulator from my dell axim x5 is
that none of the 256 possible keyboard values is triggered when someone
clicks on the softkey1 through softkey4. i.e. inbox/contacts/calendar. It
works on my axim but not on the emulator. It's possible i MUST register
hotkeys for these to work but I find that rather silly ask i currently
managed to use gxopeninput to override the hardware buttons.

thanks.

Robert Huie

> Do you mind sharing the information on the quirks you see? I wrote a
> P/Invoke GAPI sample that works fine except that I'm seeing some
jerkiness -
> I cannot get a simple flying box to fly smoothly

> Alex Feinman
> MVP Windows Media Center

> > just want to see if anyone else here is interested in such a topic. I
have
> > come across little quirks so far that leads me to believe it's not so
> > straightforward.

> > Robert Huie

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:30:09

For P/Invoke example take a look at
http://www.alexfeinman.com/download.asp?doc=GAPITest.zip

I don't remember if the 4 keys can be intercepted via GAPI, but it's either
that or RegisterWindowKey.

I'm x-posting this to dotnet.framework group, as this conversation
obviouslly belongs there rather than here

> well for one thing i can only seem to call GXopenInput and GXcloseinput. i
> can't call GXgetdefaultkeys (probably because the return struct isn't
> consistent with the gx.h). I couldn't even get as far as animating because
> can't even find how to retrieve the hardware handler that the other gapi
> function calls need from my class (dirived from form)

> I found only one source of comment that got me going and it wasn't readily
> obvious (for me) that i had to specify an entry point like so, in order
for
> it to work:

> private static extern int GXOpenInput();

> but for one of my other invoke to another dll didn't need it:

> [DllImport("coredll.dll")]

> private static extern short GetAsyncKeyState(int vkey);

> It also took me a while to find out these info was retrieved through
> dumpbin.exe.

> I'm currently using GDI for my animation. since i am only animating a
> character that only takes 10% of the screen it so far looks smooth. but i
> plan to move over to pure gapi paint routines if i do encounter some
> performance difficulties.

> could you send me your pinvoke to gapi sample?

> One little quirk i noticed in the ppc2003 emulator from my dell axim x5 is
> that none of the 256 possible keyboard values is triggered when someone
> clicks on the softkey1 through softkey4. i.e. inbox/contacts/calendar. It
> works on my axim but not on the emulator. It's possible i MUST register
> hotkeys for these to work but I find that rather silly ask i currently
> managed to use gxopeninput to override the hardware buttons.

> thanks.

> Robert Huie

> > Do you mind sharing the information on the quirks you see? I wrote a
> > P/Invoke GAPI sample that works fine except that I'm seeing some
> jerkiness -
> > I cannot get a simple flying box to fly smoothly

> > Alex Feinman
> > MVP Windows Media Center

> > > just want to see if anyone else here is interested in such a topic. I
> have
> > > come across little quirks so far that leads me to believe it's not so
> > > straightforward.

> > > Robert Huie

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Moe Khosrav » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:57:28

I've got an article coming out on Intel.com on GAPI and .NET CF. One's an
intro and one's an optimized batched EVC++
 DLL for Compact Framework Apps...

-Moe Khosravy
Vital Images Inc.
www.vitalimages.com

> For P/Invoke example take a look at
> http://www.alexfeinman.com/download.asp?doc=GAPITest.zip

> I don't remember if the 4 keys can be intercepted via GAPI, but it's
either
> that or RegisterWindowKey.

> I'm x-posting this to dotnet.framework group, as this conversation
> obviouslly belongs there rather than here

> > well for one thing i can only seem to call GXopenInput and GXcloseinput.
> > can't call GXgetdefaultkeys (probably because the return struct isn't
> > consistent with the gx.h). I couldn't even get as far as animating
because
> > can't even find how to retrieve the hardware handler that the other gapi
> > function calls need from my class (dirived from form)

> > I found only one source of comment that got me going and it wasn't
readily
> > obvious (for me) that i had to specify an entry point like so, in order
> for
> > it to work:

> > private static extern int GXOpenInput();

> > but for one of my other invoke to another dll didn't need it:

> > [DllImport("coredll.dll")]

> > private static extern short GetAsyncKeyState(int vkey);

> > It also took me a while to find out these info was retrieved through
> > dumpbin.exe.

> > I'm currently using GDI for my animation. since i am only animating a
> > character that only takes 10% of the screen it so far looks smooth. but
> > plan to move over to pure gapi paint routines if i do encounter some
> > performance difficulties.

> > could you send me your pinvoke to gapi sample?

> > One little quirk i noticed in the ppc2003 emulator from my dell axim x5
is
> > that none of the 256 possible keyboard values is triggered when someone
> > clicks on the softkey1 through softkey4. i.e. inbox/contacts/calendar.
It
> > works on my axim but not on the emulator. It's possible i MUST register
> > hotkeys for these to work but I find that rather silly ask i currently
> > managed to use gxopeninput to override the hardware buttons.

> > thanks.

> > Robert Huie

> > > Do you mind sharing the information on the quirks you see? I wrote a
> > > P/Invoke GAPI sample that works fine except that I'm seeing some
> > jerkiness -
> > > I cannot get a simple flying box to fly smoothly

> > > Alex Feinman
> > > MVP Windows Media Center

> > have

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Moe Khosrav » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:00:30

Sorry... Posted too quickly. I'll post the URLs to the embedded *
articles to be published on Intel's IDS/IDF sites as soon as I know the
URLs.

-Moe Khosravy

> I've got an article coming out on Intel.com on GAPI and .NET CF. One's an
> intro and one's an optimized batched EVC++
>  DLL for Compact Framework Apps...

> -Moe Khosravy
> Vital Images Inc.
> www.vitalimages.com

> > For P/Invoke example take a look at
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > I don't remember if the 4 keys can be intercepted via GAPI, but it's
> either
> > that or RegisterWindowKey.

> > I'm x-posting this to dotnet.framework group, as this conversation
> > obviouslly belongs there rather than here

> > > well for one thing i can only seem to call GXopenInput and
GXcloseinput.
> > > can't call GXgetdefaultkeys (probably because the return struct isn't
> > > consistent with the gx.h). I couldn't even get as far as animating
> because
> > > can't even find how to retrieve the hardware handler that the other
gapi
> > > function calls need from my class (dirived from form)

> > > I found only one source of comment that got me going and it wasn't
> readily
> > > obvious (for me) that i had to specify an entry point like so, in
order
> > for
> > > it to work:

> > > private static extern int GXOpenInput();

> > > but for one of my other invoke to another dll didn't need it:

> > > [DllImport("coredll.dll")]

> > > private static extern short GetAsyncKeyState(int vkey);

> > > It also took me a while to find out these info was retrieved through
> > > dumpbin.exe.

> > > I'm currently using GDI for my animation. since i am only animating a
> > > character that only takes 10% of the screen it so far looks smooth.
but
> > > plan to move over to pure gapi paint routines if i do encounter some
> > > performance difficulties.

> > > could you send me your pinvoke to gapi sample?

> > > One little quirk i noticed in the ppc2003 emulator from my dell axim
x5
> is
> > > that none of the 256 possible keyboard values is triggered when
someone
> > > clicks on the softkey1 through softkey4. i.e. inbox/contacts/calendar.
> It
> > > works on my axim but not on the emulator. It's possible i MUST
register
> > > hotkeys for these to work but I find that rather silly ask i currently
> > > managed to use gxopeninput to override the hardware buttons.

> > > thanks.

> > > Robert Huie

> > > jerkiness -

message

> > > have
> so

REQUEST: webcast or tutorial on Gapi with .net

Post by Robert Hui » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:15:59

thanks guys. This should help me greatly.

I'll post what I have in terms of projects to show how well a game can run
even under managed code as soon as i get a respectable beta ready.

Robert Huie

> Sorry... Posted too quickly. I'll post the URLs to the embedded *
> articles to be published on Intel's IDS/IDF sites as soon as I know the
> URLs.

> -Moe Khosravy

> > I've got an article coming out on Intel.com on GAPI and .NET CF. One's
an
> > intro and one's an optimized batched EVC++
> >  DLL for Compact Framework Apps...

> > -Moe Khosravy
> > Vital Images Inc.
> > www.vitalimages.com

> > > For P/Invoke example take a look at
> > > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > > I don't remember if the 4 keys can be intercepted via GAPI, but it's
> > either
> > > that or RegisterWindowKey.

> > > I'm x-posting this to dotnet.framework group, as this conversation
> > > obviouslly belongs there rather than here

> GXcloseinput.
> > because
> gapi

> > readily
> order
> > > for

> but

> x5
> > is
> someone

inbox/contacts/calendar.

> > It
> register

> message

> topic.
> > so

1. ANN: First Diagramming Tutorial and request for Feedback

The core of First is stabilizing and as of Beta 0.7 it does a decent job of
creating basic diagrams. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a really great job at
any particular kind of diagram. We want to change that. So, it's time to
start focusing on specific use cases, and we're interested in hearing what
kind of diagrams people want to create.

To help, we've created a tutorial that covers the basics of what First can
do. You can find the tutorial at
www.matterandmotion.com/Tutorial/Tutorial.htm. You'll need Beta 0.7 to run
the tutorial, which you can get at www.matterandmotion.com under the
"Support" link. The tutorial doesn't cover the ActiveSync file filter yet,
but we'll amend it soon.

So, would you be interested in using a PocketPC diagramming program? If yes,
what kinds of diagrams are you most interested in making/using? Let us know
which of these are most important:

Concept Maps
Flow Charts/Process Charts
Block Diagrams
Software Diagrams
Class diagrams
Object Diagrams
Sequence Diagrams
Org Charts
Network Diagrams
Others?.

Are there others you would like to see us support? Please send us at

Thanks for your attention! And, enjoy!

--
Matter and Motion, Inc.
www.matterandmotion.com

2. NT Extensible Agent..

3. Techniques for filling lists using the .NET Compact Framework - new DEVBUZZ tutorial

4. GUI*Converter

5. eVC/GAPI questions and observations from a .NET CF refugee

6. IBM PC110 FAQ (3 of 3)

7. VPN->No request can be made from .Net CF application and Internet Explorer

8. What is MINT?

9. Next Generation Pocket PC and Smartphone webcast now available on-demand

10. .NET Jabber SDK for .NET Compact Framework

11. Webcast on Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 Connection Manager

12. Webcast?

13. Reminder: Webcast Monday on next gen PPC and SP development!