Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/ » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Read
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreaming...
(it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for the
Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
audio and video!

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by A Guy Named Mik » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

YEY!!  That's perfect .. I knew buying this iPAQ was a good thing ..

// A Guy Named Mike

Quote:> Read

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreaming...
Quote:> (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for
the
> Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
> audio and video!

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by A Guy Named Mik » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

In fact that's amazing!!! .. wahoo .. way to go on the asf codec!! .. a much
needed compression for Pocket PD Devices alike...

// A Guy Named Mike

Quote:> Read

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreaming...
Quote:> (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for
the
> Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
> audio and video!

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by A Guy Named Mik » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

So what do I use to convert my movie clips to an acceptable quality
compression (other than mpeg-1) for use with this new player?

// A Guy Named Mike

Quote:> Read

Quote:>I've downloaded and installed this but browsing at www.launch.com and
>choosing videos to play still won't start the music videos playing in
>this new media player as it does in windows 98.

Try getting the URL for it, then placing the URL in Media Player. (Note: I
don't have an iPAQ, so I can't vouch if this'll work or not, as I can't
test it out myself).

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
ActiveSync problems?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/ » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>yeah, tried that already but viewing the source of the web page its
>pretty well hidden somewhere deep. Never mind...

>any other places I can go to try this new media player?

Try some videos on Microsoft's site, or on the Comdex site.

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
ActiveSync problems?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by trista » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

It does not mention anywhere what format they support for video.

I assume it is MPEG-4 (what version ? is it encapsulated in ASF ?)

Where can you get the tools to transcode video content (VCD, DVD) into
this format ?

-t

Quote:-----Original Message-----

.

Post by Anthon » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:14:44

yeah, tried that already but viewing the source of the web page its pretty
well hidden somewhere deep. Never mind...

any other places I can go to try this new media player?

> >I've downloaded and installed this but browsing at www.launch.com and
> >choosing videos to play still won't start the music videos playing in
> >this new media player as it does in windows 98.

> Try getting the URL for it, then placing the URL in Media Player. (Note: I
> don't have an iPAQ, so I can't vouch if this'll work or not, as I can't
> test it out myself).

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by RW » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:06:54

Blah!  You beat me to the punch :)  I was going to post the same
thing.  Anyways this is what I've been waiting for!  Yahooo!!!
Hopefully Microsoft will be adapting this to the handheld pc soon too.
Otherwise, I may have to seriously reconsider making that HP720
purchase.  Here's a second PR called Wireless Wonder that talks about
the new streaming capabilities also.  I love how they mention Ricochet
in both Press Releases:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessWonderPR.asp

On a related note, don't forget folks, as of today, you can sign-up for
the OmniSky Ricochet beta user program by going to the omnisky website
and signing-up.  It's only for current ipaq owners only though and I
would imagine that you need to live in a Ricochet coverage area of
course ;)

Quote:

> Read

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreamingPR.
asp

Quote:> (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available
for the
> Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish -
streaming
> audio and video!

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Anthon » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:25:18

Hmmm.. If I use file- open and choose a .MP3 file that I play with the
standard media player, the new one it gives and error (after selecting the
file specifically from the files list) "cannot open '\storage card\my
documents\a-ha - take on me.mp3'. Please verify that the path and filename
are correct and try again."

Also it doesn't recognise my playlists (*.pmp files) created in the standard
windows media player on the IPAQ.

Quote:> Read

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreaming...
Quote:> (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for
the
> Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
> audio and video!

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/nonavpocketpcsync.asp

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Michael Lync » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:06:30

Folks, this stuff is awesome. I've been sampling streaming video on my
802.11b-connected iPaq, and the possibilities are very enticing. I really
didn't think I would care about this much, but after seeing it in action,
I'm hooked.

BTW, my iPaq has now been streaming a 100 kbps Internet music channel for
around 2 hours straight--wirelessly. During this time, I even checked my
email a few times. Oh yea, I'm just using the iPaq's internal speaker, and
it is LOUD (for some reason, the new PPC WMP seems to make the iPaq's --
already loud -- speaker sound even louder. By battery-level, in both the PC
Card sleeve and the iPaq, is down to around 40%.

I'm impressed!

-Mike *

Quote:> Read

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Quote:> (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for
the
> Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
> audio and video!

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/ for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://www.veryComputer.com/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Anthon » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:25:07

what sites are you browsing please? (URLs)

I have a 500kbps cable modem connection that I wirelessly connect to with my
IPAQ and the COMPAQ WL100 (802.11b) card and I'd love to give this a go on a
few different sites.

I agree with the volume... the default each time I start the software is
maximum and I'm finding I have to turn it down!

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for
> the
> > Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
> > audio and video!

> > --
> > Rob Borek
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> > Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/ for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> > What is an MVP? http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > ActiveSync problems?
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by RW » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Yahoooooooo!
Okay, so we've heard from an 802.11 user and it sounds like it went
quite well.

Now I'd like to hear from:

-a Ricochet 128kbps user
-a CDPD user
-a wireless phone user

to see how it goes.  I'm not expecting much of the latter 2, but
sometimes you never do know now do ya.  I'd especially like to hear
from the wireless phone user that uses this connection to listen to
internet music for 2 hours straight during business hours tomorrow like
Mike did with his 802.11 network.  ;)

> Folks, this stuff is awesome. I've been sampling streaming video on my
> 802.11b-connected iPaq, and the possibilities are very enticing. I
really
> didn't think I would care about this much, but after seeing it in
action,
> I'm hooked.

> BTW, my iPaq has now been streaming a 100 kbps Internet music channel
for
> around 2 hours straight--wirelessly. During this time, I even checked
my
> email a few times. Oh yea, I'm just using the iPaq's internal
speaker, and
> it is LOUD (for some reason, the new PPC WMP seems to make the
iPaq's --
> already loud -- speaker sound even louder. By battery-level, in both
the PC
> Card sleeve and the iPaq, is down to around 40%.

> I'm impressed!

> -Mike *

> > Read

http://www.veryComputer.com/
asp

Quote:> > (it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available
for
> the
> > Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish -
streaming
> > audio and video!

> > --
> > Rob Borek
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> > Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/ for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> > What is an MVP? http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > ActiveSync problems?
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

Before you buy.

Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Post by Michael Lync » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I was started with www.windowsmedia.com. Under "Broadband" I found the "Hit
List featuring Jessica Simpson," 100K. This was the channel I kept streaming
for over two hours, on battery power, and using the iPaq's internal speaker.
The LCD wasn't off, but the side-light was (most of the time).

BTW: From that same web page, I found the live BBC live news channel, and I
began streaming it at 100 kbps (didn't want to be greedy and use 300 kbps
<g>). When I went to sleep last night, I left it on, streaming away (iPaq
connected to AC adapter). It was still playing in the morning! Very cool
indeed...

-Mike *

Quote:> what sites are you browsing please? (URLs)

> I have a 500kbps cable modem connection that I wirelessly connect to with
my
> IPAQ and the COMPAQ WL100 (802.11b) card and I'd love to give this a go on
> few different sites.

> I agree with the volume... the default each time I start the software is
> maximum and I'm finding I have to turn it down!

1. Windows Media Rights Manager SDK 7 (DRM) and Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Hi People,

I have just scanned the Microsoft web pages to try and shred some light on a
problem that I have got, and I found this news group and am hoping that someone
can help!

I have a problem in which am hoping one of you out there can help me with. The
scenerio in which am in is as follows.

I have managed to packaged some media files up and from there I have been able to
play them on my PC without any bother but when I try to play them on my iPaq with
WLAN facility I cant do it - why?? I have created a link on a web page to a
packaged file and it works on my PC directly without a problem but NOT my iPaq
with WLAN why?? The error I get on there is "cannot open 'mms://<ip
address>/<<name of file>.asf'. Please verify that path and filename are correct
and try again". I have wrapped the original .asf file up with a .asx script file
that is lying on a web server (the protected file is on the web server)......

Why is this happening and can anyone help me out?? I am really wondering why and
if there is a fix or something am missing....please help!!

I have the current player off the microsoft web site that supports streaming
media aswell (Windows media player for pocket PC v.6.4.1.1)

Regards

Helen Pringle

2. MicroVAX 3100

3. Go Wireless with Windows Media Player for Pocket PC Technology Preview 2

4. Field property question!

5. Windows Media Encoder / Windows Media Player

6. SIAM activity group on supercomputing

7. Microsoft Launches New Windows Media Player 7 for Pocket PC

8. FS: SunPC 5x86 SunPC sbus + software

9. Can Windows Media and Windows Media 7.1 samples be deleted?

10. Windows Media Player, gone

11. Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

12. Windows Media Player on Pocket PC - Help?

13. skins files for windows media player - pocket PC version