End of the line soon for CE/PPC OS/.NET CF?

End of the line soon for CE/PPC OS/.NET CF?

Post by stewa » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:01:24

Has anyone else noticed is the alarming lack of progress in the
Microsoft-based PDA arena in the last few years?

Things seem to be getting increasingly worse as time progresses... The
group has been slow to show results, so they are getting less assets,
which makes it harder to show results, etc., etc. It now looks like
Microsoft is focusing on expanding XP into the "embedded" market,
which could have ramifications in the PDA-type application area...
see:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/xp/

Another telling sign is the lack of progress with PDA-specific
processor technology over the last few years, while there have been
HUGE breakthrus with laptop processor technology in just the last year
alone(the new Pentium "M" processor kicks ass)... laptops are getting
so fast, small, and light, that it is foreseeable that Intel and
Microsoft have come to the joint conclusion that it doesn't make sense
to have a seperate set of hardware and software for PDAs, and that it
has come time to dump(MSFT) or refocus(INT) the efforts of these two
underperforming technologies.

Unless these old PDA boys don't start showing some progress, I think
we might see further belt-tightening by MSFT and INT in inventments in
PocketPC OS/CE/.NET CF and PDA-relaated XScale within the year, and
that will pretty much be the end of the line, as far as improvements
in those product lines are concerned.  They'll just leave things
pretty "as is", and invest in broadening the application base of their
higher-level products (Embedded XP and Pentium "M").

- Stewart

End of the line soon for CE/PPC OS/.NET CF?

Post by Chris Tacke, eMV » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:40:48

You're kidding right?  In the last year CE has gone from 3.0 to 4.0 to 4.1
to 4.2.  Pocket PC 2003 was just released last week and the next gen
SmartPhone will be along shortly.  On an even smaller scale than that are
things like SPOT.

You obviously have no idea on the Intel roadmap either.  After the XScale is
the Bulverde which has some really nice features, speed and power
characteristics.  PC processors really haven't done much other than get
faster, though I'm surprised that you think that if Intel can come up with
an idea for a PC CISC processor then they can't translate that to an
embedded RISC architecture.  The day will never come that your x86 processor
can run with as little power consumption and heat generation as a RISC
processor.  I don't know about you, but I don't plan to carry a giant
battery and fan setup to use my cell phone.

There's also a huge market for RISC architecture and instant-bring-up zero
config operating systems like CE.  PC's don't run the world, just because
that's what you've got on your desk.

-Chris

Quote:> Has anyone else noticed is the alarming lack of progress in the
> Microsoft-based PDA arena in the last few years?

> Things seem to be getting increasingly worse as time progresses... The
> group has been slow to show results, so they are getting less assets,
> which makes it harder to show results, etc., etc. It now looks like
> Microsoft is focusing on expanding XP into the "embedded" market,
> which could have ramifications in the PDA-type application area...
> see:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/xp/

> Another telling sign is the lack of progress with PDA-specific
> processor technology over the last few years, while there have been
> HUGE breakthrus with laptop processor technology in just the last year
> alone(the new Pentium "M" processor kicks ass)... laptops are getting
> so fast, small, and light, that it is foreseeable that Intel and
> Microsoft have come to the joint conclusion that it doesn't make sense
> to have a seperate set of hardware and software for PDAs, and that it
> has come time to dump(MSFT) or refocus(INT) the efforts of these two
> underperforming technologies.

> Unless these old PDA boys don't start showing some progress, I think
> we might see further belt-tightening by MSFT and INT in inventments in
> PocketPC OS/CE/.NET CF and PDA-relaated XScale within the year, and
> that will pretty much be the end of the line, as far as improvements
> in those product lines are concerned.  They'll just leave things
> pretty "as is", and invest in broadening the application base of their
> higher-level products (Embedded XP and Pentium "M").

> - Stewart

End of the line soon for CE/PPC OS/.NET CF?

Post by Maarten Struy » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:55:13

Have you heard about PPC 2003, just released. Also think about all the
effort in the SmartPhone area. I have to totally disagree with you. Both
Windows CE and smart devices like PPC's are alive and gaining popularity.

--
Regards,

Maarten Struys
PTS Software bv