Learning Chinese software or english-chinese dictionary

Learning Chinese software or english-chinese dictionary

Post by Macc » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:42:40

Hello! I'm looking for an english-chinese dictionary to
use as an aid for learning mandarin (or cantonese). I
cannot read chinese characters although I am learning :)

I want something that we enable me to enter a chinese
character in pinyin and tell me the meaning in english.
Also, I want to be able to enter a word in english and be
given the pinyin equivalent (preferebly also with a voice
telling me how to pronounce it).

What is the best program for my needs? Is there any
freeware that can do this?

Thanks in advance,
Mac

Learning Chinese software or english-chinese dictionary

Post by liha » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:56:39

hi, i think you want two software to resolve your problem.
one is the ciba. it is a translator, from english to
chinese or adversely.you can get the detail in the
www.iciba.net or www.kingsoft.net.it is not free, but very
cheap. just just pay for about five dollars to get it.
another one is called "input way", it transfer the pinyin
to character. In china there are many "input way"s to
change the pinyin to character. the best one is  unispim,
i think. it is free. you can get it in many chinese
download site. the highest edition is 2.3.
usage:
at first you setup all the two software to your computer.
at.in the tray (at the bottom of your screen) you can find
a icon for ciba and unispim. then you run the ciba, then
use the unispim, it can show a sliver, you can input the
pinyin to the sliver,then it show the many character
choise . the character your choose will be showed in the
ciba,then ciba translate it to english.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----