AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Anonymous Us » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 07:32:39

I'm wondering if there is a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a
PocketPC.  Any software/hardware required to do this?  Any information
would be helpful.  Thanks.

- normaldude

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Dean Cleave » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 09:23:39

I believe Pocket PC 2002 is able to connect to USB devices, and there are
AM/FM/TV tuners available on USB I believe... just a matter of getting the
drivers for PPC that's all...

Dino

Quote:> I'm wondering if there is a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a
> PocketPC.  Any software/hardware required to do this?  Any information
> would be helpful.  Thanks.

> - normaldude

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Sven Johannse » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 10:57:22

Nope, with one exception, the new Pocket PCs (2002) still have client USB
ports. To use the tuners you'ld need a host port like on your PC.  So even
with drivers, it still wouldn't work, hardware wouldn't allow it.  BTW my
Hauppauge USB TV tuner draws 500ma off the USB port. Would'nt take long to
suck your PDA dry unless you were hooked to the mains. In which case you
don't really have a portable radio anymore.

I suppose you could shell out for a wireless connection and maybe go to an
internet radio site for streaming audio. Of course at $300 for the modem and
$50 a month for the service, not to mention the $600 PDA, you'd still have a
pretty marginal radio. I think I've seen FM Stereo receivers the size of a
credit card for well under a $100. You could double sticky tape that to the
back of your iPAQ and pretend :)

> I believe Pocket PC 2002 is able to connect to USB devices, and there are
> AM/FM/TV tuners available on USB I believe... just a matter of getting the
> drivers for PPC that's all...

> Dino

> > I'm wondering if there is a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a
> > PocketPC.  Any software/hardware required to do this?  Any information
> > would be helpful.  Thanks.

> > - normaldude

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Al » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 10:59:47

Why not use a small transistor radio?

     Al

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Anonymous Us » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 16:41:05

Thanks for the above responses.

I'm hoping to one day use a PocketPC as an "all-in-one" device.. PDA,
Mp3 player, eBook reader, AM/FM radio, etc.  Currently, I have a
separate little Sony AM/FM radio.. but it would be nice to merge that
functionality with a PocketPC.  Having an awkward, separate USB
device/item defeats that purpose.  I was thinking about more along the
lines of a CompactFlash card or SecureDigital card..

- normaldude

> Why not use a small transistor radio?

>      Al

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Henr » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 13:17:45

A Korean company made a iPAQ sleeve (with a built-in antenna) that can
receive FM radio and TV signals.
Check out the following link:
http://www.denalim.com/english/sub/sub_denalian.html

HL

Quote:> I'm wondering if there is a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a
> PocketPC.  Any software/hardware required to do this?  Any information
> would be helpful.  Thanks.

> - normaldude

AM/FM Radio on PocketPC? Is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on a PocketPC?

Post by Nick » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 06:15:28

lookit:
SD Buetooth
SD Lan
SD Camera
SD GPS
SD Audio player
SD Voice recorder
SD FM/TV tuner
SD Pedometer

http://www.pocketpcwriter.net/stories.php?story=01/10/31/1572687

Those pics arn't real I think... just models.

> Thanks for the above responses.

> I'm hoping to one day use a PocketPC as an "all-in-one" device.. PDA,
> Mp3 player, eBook reader, AM/FM radio, etc.  Currently, I have a
> separate little Sony AM/FM radio.. but it would be nice to merge that
> functionality with a PocketPC.  Having an awkward, separate USB
> device/item defeats that purpose.  I was thinking about more along the
> lines of a CompactFlash card or SecureDigital card..

> - normaldude

Quote:> > Why not use a small transistor radio?