No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Brun » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:12:40



I'm not asking for much!  I want a device that work like my $15 Franklin
electronic spell checker that I had in high school, and works as a contacts
database, and a scheduler.  I don't think that making a reliable
reminder/alarm clock system would be that hard.  But, I've not seen one in a
PPC App.  Linux TAKE ME AWAY!!!  I would pay handsomely for a Linux OS for
my iPAQ 3650.  I know it's in development, but I can't wait.  It's the new
millennium!  I'm walking around with a computer in my pocket that looks like
a tri-corder.  Scottie would be amazed, until he realized that the thing
can't spell check.  What a huge step back.  Spok would say "Highly
un-logical."
 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Toto » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:37:15


Unfortunately you will find that most of the software included in Pocket PC
is pathetic.

I engage you to look at the list of added functions in Pocket PC 2002 and
you will see that the functionality was very poor before and is still very
poor. (in comparison say to the software included with the Psion)


Quote:> I'm not asking for much!  I want a device that work like my $15 Franklin
> electronic spell checker that I had in high school, and works as a
contacts
> database, and a scheduler.  I don't think that making a reliable
> reminder/alarm clock system would be that hard.  But, I've not seen one in
a
> PPC App.  Linux TAKE ME AWAY!!!  I would pay handsomely for a Linux OS for
> my iPAQ 3650.  I know it's in development, but I can't wait.  It's the new
> millennium!  I'm walking around with a computer in my pocket that looks
like
> a tri-corder.  Scottie would be amazed, until he realized that the thing
> can't spell check.  What a huge step back.  Spok would say "Highly
> un-logical."


 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Marc Corneliu » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:19:19




[snip]

Quote:>It is on the new PPC 2002 devices and you can buy one at

[snip]

But isn't on the upgrade.

--
Marc Cornelius

 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Daniel Pelto » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:21:06


Linux is available from http://handhelds.org/




> >I'm not asking for much!  I want a device that work like my $15 Franklin
> >electronic spell checker that I had in high school, and works as a
contacts
> >database, and a scheduler.  I don't think that making a reliable
> >reminder/alarm clock system would be that hard.  But, I've not seen one
in a
> >PPC App.  Linux TAKE ME AWAY!!!  I would pay handsomely for a Linux OS
for
> >my iPAQ 3650.  I know it's in development, but I can't wait.  It's the
new
> >millennium!  I'm walking around with a computer in my pocket that looks
like
> >a tri-corder.  Scottie would be amazed, until he realized that the thing
> >can't spell check.  What a huge step back.  Spok would say "Highly
> >un-logical."

> It is on the new PPC 2002 devices and you can buy one at
> www.phatware.com called HPC Spell for non-PPC 2002 devices.
> --
> _____________________________________
> Ed Hansberry
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp
> ActiveSync problems? -

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/support/help/activesync.asp
 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Jason Dunn, MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 04:30:10


Umm...why are you in this newsgroup again? :-)


> Unfortunately you will find that most of the software included in Pocket
PC
> is pathetic.

> I engage you to look at the list of added functions in Pocket PC 2002 and
> you will see that the functionality was very poor before and is still very
> poor. (in comparison say to the software included with the Psion)



> > I'm not asking for much!  I want a device that work like my $15 Franklin
> > electronic spell checker that I had in high school, and works as a
> contacts
> > database, and a scheduler.  I don't think that making a reliable
> > reminder/alarm clock system would be that hard.  But, I've not seen one
in
> a
> > PPC App.  Linux TAKE ME AWAY!!!  I would pay handsomely for a Linux OS
for
> > my iPAQ 3650.  I know it's in development, but I can't wait.  It's the
new
> > millennium!  I'm walking around with a computer in my pocket that looks
> like
> > a tri-corder.  Scottie would be amazed, until he realized that the thing
> > can't spell check.  What a huge step back.  Spok would say "Highly
> > un-logical."

 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Toto » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:19:01


I am in this newgroup because I have a Pocket PC. I like my Jornada but it
does not stop me thinking that it is a weak unstable operating system and
that the software included really lack functionnality.
For example
until 2002 you could not diaply your contact by company name??
When you change the time zone all your appointments change time??
Message in the inbox are limited to 1024 characters??
No printing facility??
No database program??
No synchronisation with the CF card??
etc etc

Now I have one, I use it, but it does not stop me thinking that for an OS
and set of programs on the market since many years this is pathetic!!!

"Jason Dunn, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <please-ask-in-the-newsgroup> wrote in

> Umm...why are you in this newsgroup again? :-)




> > Unfortunately you will find that most of the software included in Pocket
> PC
> > is pathetic.

> > I engage you to look at the list of added functions in Pocket PC 2002
and
> > you will see that the functionality was very poor before and is still
very
> > poor. (in comparison say to the software included with the Psion)



> > > I'm not asking for much!  I want a device that work like my $15
Franklin
> > > electronic spell checker that I had in high school, and works as a
> > contacts
> > > database, and a scheduler.  I don't think that making a reliable
> > > reminder/alarm clock system would be that hard.  But, I've not seen
one
> in
> > a
> > > PPC App.  Linux TAKE ME AWAY!!!  I would pay handsomely for a Linux OS
> for
> > > my iPAQ 3650.  I know it's in development, but I can't wait.  It's the
> new
> > > millennium!  I'm walking around with a computer in my pocket that
looks
> > like
> > > a tri-corder.  Scottie would be amazed, until he realized that the
thing
> > > can't spell check.  What a huge step back.  Spok would say "Highly
> > > un-logical."

 
 
 

No Spell Check. That's pothetic!

Post by Jason Dunn, MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:25:02


Quote:> until 2002 you could not diaply your contact by company name??

Correct. I agree this was a weakness - with the older Palm-size PC, you
could arrange all the data columns like you could on the full desktop
outlook. Very powerful! But guess what? All that power caused a startup time
that was 5x times longer than a Palm, so people complained it was slow. So
when the Pocket PC came out, they stripped it down to the most basic
features to reach speed parity with Palm. Now they're starting to add in
features that people missed in the Pocket PC.

Quote:> When you change the time zone all your appointments change time??

I agree, this sucks.

Quote:> Message in the inbox are limited to 1024 characters??

Not true. There's NO limit for POP/IMAP directly, and for ActiveSync, I
think it might be 16KB - far more than 1024 characters. Have you gone in and
changed the sync defaults? To save space it truncates it at 100 lines I
believe.

Quote:> No printing facility??

I agree this would be nice to have at the OS level, but I'd be surprised if
5% of people would ever use it. http://www.fieldsoftware.com/ has a solution
for you

Quote:> No database program??

Why would it need a built-in database program? I for one don't need one
built in, and I'd be surprised if more than 5-10% of people would need one
build in. There are a lot of options:
http://www.microsoft.com/POCKETPC/tips/database.asp - some as cheap as
$7.95.

Quote:> No synchronisation with the CF card??

I agree this would be a nice feature, but I don't feel it's a "missing"
element. If you were a Microsoft program manager, and had to choose between
making ActiveSync more stable and adding Inbox sub-folder sync, or adding CF
card sync, which would you add? Think of what more people would use...

Quote:> and set of programs on the market since many years this is pathetic!!!

The Pocket PC launched in April 2000 - so in two months it will be two years
old. Doesn't seem so old to me. :-)

Jason Dunn, Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Pocket PC Thoughts - http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com
Daily news, views, rants and raves...

 
 
 

1. Spell Checker won't check spelling

When typing a new email message in Outlook, the spell checker will not check
the document.  When I "send" the document, then go to the "Outbox" screen
and reopen the unsent document -- only THEN I can spell check the email.

I am using Win XP Pro
MS Outlook 2002
Set as HTML
Set us use Word to check document.

Thanks for your help!!

2. ActiveX problem in getting resources when build with Shared MFC Dll

3. IPAQ Serial nos and Batch Nos?

4. Writing ATARI DS/DD disks on PC

5. Pocket Word can't spell check..

6. Discrete Logic Onyx Inferno system - recently reduced price

7. spell check for PPC 2002 Pro

8. Connection problem

9. Spell-check Word PPC 2002

10. spell check

11. Spell Check, Recognize, and Alternates Commands Are Missing from the Pocket Word 3.0 Tools Menu (Q311349)

12. any good dictionary or better spell check for ppc

13. iPAQ 2002 Upgrade - No Word Spell Check?