Newbie: Need advice on development system

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Tony » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:00:09

1) http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/default.asp

2) "Palm" implies means a PalmOS device. PocketPCs are not PalmOS devices.
It's like the difference between Mac and Windows.

Quote:> Hi,

> I am being asked to look into the development of a PocketPC-based
> application.  What "palm" computer and software do I need to start
> development?  For example, what "palm" would you recommend, and how do I
> develop/transfer programs to/from the unit?

> Thanks for ANY advice...

> Larry Woods

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Bill Drape » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:32:10

Your fundamental choices are C++, VB, or, depending on your app, a Web app
using browser for client. There are plenty of reviews on the Internet of the
various PocketPC-compatible devices with the iPAQ and Jornada probably being
among the more common. Development tools such as eVC and eVB handle
transfering your code-in-development to the device via ActiveSync as well as
providing remote debugging. More info on your task could probably get you
better feedback on suggested options.

Bill

Post by Larry Wood » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 06:11:37

Hi,

I am being asked to look into the development of a PocketPC-based
application.  What "palm" computer and software do I need to start
development?  For example, what "palm" would you recommend, and how do I
develop/transfer programs to/from the unit?

Thanks for ANY advice...

Larry Woods

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Larry Wood » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:16:21

Bill,

Thanks.

What do YOU use???

Larry Woods

> Your fundamental choices are C++, VB, or, depending on your app, a Web app
> using browser for client. There are plenty of reviews on the Internet of
the
> various PocketPC-compatible devices with the iPAQ and Jornada probably
being
> among the more common. Development tools such as eVC and eVB handle
> transfering your code-in-development to the device via ActiveSync as well
as
> providing remote debugging. More info on your task could probably get you
> better feedback on suggested options.

> Bill

> > Hi,

> > I am being asked to look into the development of a PocketPC-based
> > application.  What "palm" computer and software do I need to start
> > development?  For example, what "palm" would you recommend, and how do I
> > develop/transfer programs to/from the unit?

> > Thanks for ANY advice...

> > Larry Woods

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Larry Wood » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:15:51

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I realized that "palm" meant "PalmOS", but I
didn't know the name of the MS equivalent.

Larry

> 1) http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/default.asp

> 2) "Palm" implies means a PalmOS device. PocketPCs are not PalmOS devices.
> It's like the difference between Mac and Windows.

> > Hi,

> > I am being asked to look into the development of a PocketPC-based
> > application.  What "palm" computer and software do I need to start
> > development?  For example, what "palm" would you recommend, and how do I
> > develop/transfer programs to/from the unit?

> > Thanks for ANY advice...

> > Larry Woods

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Chris Tacke, eMV » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:36:23

Larry,

It really depends on your goals and what your application is going to be
doing.  I personally have used eVB and eVC for development of Pocket PCs
including Casio, HP and Compaq as well as for HPC Pros from HP, Vadem and
Hitachi. There are also lots of people that have used eVC for developing
apps for a whole host of custom manufactured devices which may or may not
have any number of hardware options, including a screen.  Asking "what's
best" is like asking "I want to drive.  What car should I buy?"

-Chris

> Bill,

> Thanks.

> What do YOU use???

> Larry Woods

> > Your fundamental choices are C++, VB, or, depending on your app, a Web
app
> > using browser for client. There are plenty of reviews on the Internet of
> the
> > various PocketPC-compatible devices with the iPAQ and Jornada probably
> being
> > among the more common. Development tools such as eVC and eVB handle
> > transfering your code-in-development to the device via ActiveSync as
well
> as
> > providing remote debugging. More info on your task could probably get
you
> > better feedback on suggested options.

> > Bill

> > > Hi,

> > > I am being asked to look into the development of a PocketPC-based
> > > application.  What "palm" computer and software do I need to start
> > > development?  For example, what "palm" would you recommend, and how do
> > > develop/transfer programs to/from the unit?

> > > Thanks for ANY advice...

> > > Larry Woods

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Larry Wood » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:38:42

I realize that there are many brands, models out there...and it changes
every day.  What I was hoping to hear was that there was one or two
brand/models that were more flexible, expandable, etc.  In my opinion this
market is just getting off the ground so we can expect changes to come
rapidly.  Therefore I don't expect a long life to whatever we purchase.  On
the other hand, if there were some products out there that were designed
with an "expansion" philosophy then we would gravitate toward that brand.

Oh, well.....

As far as the usage is concerned, we are looking at wireless portability on
a shop floor...manufacturing.  Small local database, also.

Thanks.

Larry

> Larry,

> It really depends on your goals and what your application is going to be
> doing.  I personally have used eVB and eVC for development of Pocket PCs
> including Casio, HP and Compaq as well as for HPC Pros from HP, Vadem and
> Hitachi. There are also lots of people that have used eVC for developing
> apps for a whole host of custom manufactured devices which may or may not
> have any number of hardware options, including a screen.  Asking "what's
> best" is like asking "I want to drive.  What car should I buy?"

> -Chris

> > Bill,

> > Thanks.

> > What do YOU use???

> > Larry Woods

> > > Your fundamental choices are C++, VB, or, depending on your app, a Web
> app
> > > using browser for client. There are plenty of reviews on the Internet
of
> > the
> > > various PocketPC-compatible devices with the iPAQ and Jornada probably
> > being
> > > among the more common. Development tools such as eVC and eVB handle
> > > transfering your code-in-development to the device via ActiveSync as
> well
> > as
> > > providing remote debugging. More info on your task could probably get
> you
> > > better feedback on suggested options.

> > > Bill

Newbie: Need advice on development system

Post by Bill Drape » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:09:10

Then you need to decide whether the 'consumer' devices such as the iPAQ and
Jornada will survive use by employees in your environment. These are both
great devices and have expansion options. For a more rugged device, look to
Symbol Technologies and/or Intermec. These will take a beating, will survive
4 foot drop to concrete, have longer battery life. The consumer devices are
smaller/lighter and in general have brighter, more readable screens. eVC is
good if you're very familiar with C/C++ and Win32, otherwise seriously
consider eVB.

Bill