S309 (or other) ActiveX controls and the App Install Wizard??

S309 (or other) ActiveX controls and the App Install Wizard??

Post by okseriou.. » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi.. I'm using an S309 control (http://www.veryComputer.com/) in my
eVB app, but when I try to create an installation for my project, it
doesn't seem to include that control in the package, which means it
doens't register it on the device and my app doesn't work. Is there an
issue with registering third party activex controls during install? I'm
trying to get the three device specific OCXs from the author, but when
I do, what exactly will I do with them? I thought maybe I could stick
them into the CABs generated by the wizard, but all the files within
those cabs are converted to something else with different extensions
(which I guess the installer fixes on installation). Has anyone
developed a project with any of these controls and figured out how to
install it properly? I guess I could just distribute the exe that the
author has which is a specific installer just for the control, and have
my users manually install that first, but there's got to be an easier
way... anyone?
------------------
Check out my PocketPC Page for Dashboard skins, source code and
software...
http://www.veryComputer.com/*uff/

Before you buy.

S309 (or other) ActiveX controls and the App Install Wizard??

Post by msnews.microsoft.co » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:36:07

You will have to build your own CAB since you will also have to make sure
MFC libraries are part of the cab in case the PDA does not have them in the
ROM already.  Look at the help file in how to create your own INF and CAB
files.  You will need to tell the install program to register the 3rd party
OCX's .  Then once you have created your CAB file, use a free Installer
(can't remember the name), all it does is: tells ActiveSync to install your
Cab file.  Sounds complex, but once you do it once, it is a piece of cake to
just create a new cab file and new install program.

Quote:> Hi.. I'm using an S309 control (http://www.veryComputer.com/) in my
> eVB app, but when I try to create an installation for my project, it
> doesn't seem to include that control in the package, which means it
> doens't register it on the device and my app doesn't work. Is there an
> issue with registering third party activex controls during install? I'm
> trying to get the three device specific OCXs from the author, but when
> I do, what exactly will I do with them? I thought maybe I could stick
> them into the CABs generated by the wizard, but all the files within
> those cabs are converted to something else with different extensions
> (which I guess the installer fixes on installation). Has anyone
> developed a project with any of these controls and figured out how to
> install it properly? I guess I could just distribute the exe that the
> author has which is a specific installer just for the control, and have
> my users manually install that first, but there's got to be an easier
> way... anyone?
> ------------------
> Check out my PocketPC Page for Dashboard skins, source code and
> software...
> http://www.veryComputer.com/*uff/

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

1. ActiveX Install Wizard Issue

The description of my problem is this:

I made a ATL Active X component using eVC. In eVB I can add the desktop
control to the project just fine now. I can register it on the iPAQ side
also. And my eVB app can use this component fine. However, registering the
component via regsvrce.exe is unacceptable. Making an application that runs
regsvrce.exe is unacceptable also. When I run the install wizard, I would
like to add my custom activex component or at least have it added
automatically. The component is not listed in the setup install wizard. I
assume it should be listed. Running regsvrce or having an application run
regsvrce seems like a hokey way of doing things. By the way, I have selected
the correct processor. The error message is as follows: "A control used in
your eMbedded Visual Basic project is not registered with this
computer(NOT!). Either this eMbedded Visual Basic project wasn't generated
on this machine(NOT!), or the Processors you choose to target in Step 4 are
different from those you choose to target in your project type(NOT!)." I
hope someone can resolve this there.

Please email me at     msteele at lumintech.com

2. ? big -> little edian

3. CAB questions: 1) run app after install 2) installed multiple apps

4. Antic & Analog Type-Ins?

5. PocketPC 2002 SDK with WinXP --> App Istall wizard fails when creating new EVB app.

6. tcpview on IRIX 5.3 request

7. Problems with basic container app. for ActiveX control (Macromedia Flash)

8. flight sim

9. Adding Flash ActiveX control to PocketPC app

10. installing a vb app with activeX component

11. can I install ActiveX control in Pocket IE?

12. Using Pre-Installed Pocket PC ActiveX Controls in PIE

13. >> Problem installing S309 PictureBox