Getting SIP to display

Post by vikki » Sun, 25 May 2003 06:36:43

I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
defined in the resource file.

I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
control gets the focus.

Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
(They are NOT read only.)

How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
manually manage it?

Thanks,
Vikki Pitts
Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Dilton McGowan I » Sun, 25 May 2003 07:40:41

Hi Vikki,

In .NET CF you add a SIP panel from the Toolbox and use the Enabled property
to control its visibility/usability. If you're using eVB it may be necessary
to add a Reference. In eVC you pretty much have to write code manually to
control it.

HTH,
Dilton

Quote:> I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
> defined in the resource file.

> I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
> keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
> control gets the focus.

> Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
> keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
> (They are NOT read only.)

> How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
> manually manage it?

> Thanks,
> Vikki Pitts
> Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Sun, 25 May 2003 08:02:08

Include sipapi.h and call SipShowIM(SIPF_ON)
There is also SipSetCurrentIM() if you need it

Quote:> I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
> defined in the resource file.

> I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
> keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
> control gets the focus.

> Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
> keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
> (They are NOT read only.)

> How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
> manually manage it?

> Thanks,
> Vikki Pitts
> Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Dilton McGowan I » Sun, 25 May 2003 13:24:57

Thanks Alex, I didn't catch the CPropertyPage.

> Include sipapi.h and call SipShowIM(SIPF_ON)
> There is also SipSetCurrentIM() if you need it

> > I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
> > defined in the resource file.

> > I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
> > keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
> > control gets the focus.

> > Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
> > keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
> > (They are NOT read only.)

> > How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
> > manually manage it?

> > Thanks,
> > Vikki Pitts
> > Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Sun, 25 May 2003 15:24:30

:-)
CXXXxxx? Wasn't that a naming convention for classes in something called MFC
in the last century?

> Thanks Alex, I didn't catch the CPropertyPage.

> > Include sipapi.h and call SipShowIM(SIPF_ON)
> > There is also SipSetCurrentIM() if you need it

> > > I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
> > > defined in the resource file.

> > > I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
> > > keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
> > > control gets the focus.

> > > Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
> > > keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
> > > (They are NOT read only.)

> > > How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
> > > manually manage it?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Vikki Pitts
> > > Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Dilton McGowan I » Mon, 26 May 2003 06:47:16

Hmm, if memory serves. ;-)

> :-)
> CXXXxxx? Wasn't that a naming convention for classes in something called
MFC
> in the last century?

> > Thanks Alex, I didn't catch the CPropertyPage.

> > > Include sipapi.h and call SipShowIM(SIPF_ON)
> > > There is also SipSetCurrentIM() if you need it

Getting SIP to display

Post by vikki » Thu, 29 May 2003 06:26:04

Hey thanks guys for the discussion about the SIP!

Anyway I did use SipShowIM to show / hide the SIP whenever
my edit box controls get / lose focus.  Works pretty good.

However, the only problem is that when the CPropertyDialog
first comes up, it automatically sets the focus to my Edit
box (it is the first control on the page).  So you see the
keyboard but then it "disappears" after the rest of the
code in the InitDialog handler runs.  So, in order to get
the keyboard back, I have to "click" on another control
and click back again on my edit box.  I even tried to set
the focus elsewhere in the InitDialog handler, but that
did not seem to have any effect.  My edit box still had
the focus but NO keyboard until it lost and then re-gained
focus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Vikki Pitts
Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Dilton McGowan I » Thu, 29 May 2003 08:30:52

I just created a quick project and verified the SIP panel problem. I tried
processing WM_SHOWWINDOW and calling SipShowIM(SIPF_ON), but no impact.

So I checked www.PocketPCDN.com which has a SIP section then found an MSDN
article which provided the magic.

Process WM_SIZE, set the SIP on, and it will work. I'd also make sure to
check the state before changing it so you can return it later and you should
probably process WM_SIZE anyway to be sure your dialog will not interfere
with the SIP.

> Hey thanks guys for the discussion about the SIP!

> Anyway I did use SipShowIM to show / hide the SIP whenever
> my edit box controls get / lose focus.  Works pretty good.

> However, the only problem is that when the CPropertyDialog
> first comes up, it automatically sets the focus to my Edit
> box (it is the first control on the page).  So you see the
> keyboard but then it "disappears" after the rest of the
> code in the InitDialog handler runs.  So, in order to get
> the keyboard back, I have to "click" on another control
> and click back again on my edit box.  I even tried to set
> the focus elsewhere in the InitDialog handler, but that
> did not seem to have any effect.  My edit box still had
> the focus but NO keyboard until it lost and then re-gained
> focus.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks again,
> Vikki Pitts
> Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by r_z_are » Fri, 30 May 2003 06:52:08

Although the SH... function discussed in earlier notes is the proper
way, the following also works:
ShowSip( BOOL bShow)
{
   HWND hWndSIP = ::FindWindow( _T( "SipWndClass" ), NULL );
   if (bShow)
      return ::ShowWindow( hWndSIP, SW_SHOW );
   else
     return ::ShowWindow( hWndSIP, SW_HIDE );

Quote:}

If this method doesn't hide important parts of your screen, then it
avoids the need to respond to WM_SIZE messages.

Quote:>I am working with CPropertyPage associated with a dialog
>defined in the resource file.

>I had read several places that the SIP (specifically the
>keyboard) will be displayed automatically when an edit
>control gets the focus.

>Everything else is working fine but I do not see the
>keyboard when I move to any of the my edit controls.
>(They are NOT read only.)

>How do go about handling the keyboard.  DO I have to
>manually manage it?

>Thanks,
>Vikki Pitts
>Safe Environment Engineering

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
46 Beach Street
Boston, MA 02111
www.penfact.com

Getting SIP to display

Post by vikki » Fri, 30 May 2003 23:08:31

Thanks Dilton,

I decided to take a different approach.  I was reading
several of the articles on SIP by Vassili Philippov (they
are quite good) and came across the suggestion of using
SHFullScreen.  So I decided to try using that with the
SHFS_SHOWSIPBUTTON flag.  I liked the way that worked
because the SIP Button was visible rather than having the
keyboard cover up most of my dialog at the outset. I put
the call to SHFullScreen in both my OnInitDialog and
OnActivate handlers for my CPropertyPage.

Things are working fairly well with that approach except
that the SIP button disappears if I either click on the
system menu in the task bar or on the IM selector combo
box for the SIP button (even if I just re-select the
keyboard).  The button comes back if I select another
property page.  Any ideas?

Also, where is the best place to call SHFullScreen - on
the property page or the property sheet.  I did read that
SHFullScreen should be called only after the window is
active (and not in OnInitDialog or OnCreate)  but I have
not been successful in getting the SIP button to display
if I try to invoke SHFullScreen on the CPropertySheet.  It
does seem to work (although with the behavior described
above) if I call it from the OnInitDialog on the property
page.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just created a quick project and verified the SIP panel
problem. I tried
>processing WM_SHOWWINDOW and calling SipShowIM(SIPF_ON),
but no impact.

>So I checked www.PocketPCDN.com which has a SIP section
then found an MSDN
>article which provided the magic.

>Process WM_SIZE, set the SIP on, and it will work. I'd
also make sure to
>check the state before changing it so you can return it

later and you should
>probably process WM_SIZE anyway to be sure your dialog
will not interfere
>with the SIP.

>> Hey thanks guys for the discussion about the SIP!

>> Anyway I did use SipShowIM to show / hide the SIP
whenever
>> my edit box controls get / lose focus.  Works pretty
good.

>> However, the only problem is that when the
CPropertyDialog
>> first comes up, it automatically sets the focus to my
Edit
>> box (it is the first control on the page).  So you see
the
>> keyboard but then it "disappears" after the rest of the
>> code in the InitDialog handler runs.  So, in order to
get
>> the keyboard back, I have to "click" on another control
>> and click back again on my edit box.  I even tried to
set
>> the focus elsewhere in the InitDialog handler, but that
>> did not seem to have any effect.  My edit box still had
>> the focus but NO keyboard until it lost and then re-
gained
>> focus.

>> Any suggestions?

>> Thanks again,
>> Vikki Pitts
>> Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by r_z_are » Sat, 31 May 2003 05:48:37

Quote:>Thanks Dilton,

clip

Quote:

>Things are working fairly well with that approach except
>that the SIP button disappears if I either click on the
>system menu in the task bar or on the IM selector combo
>box for the SIP button (even if I just re-select the
>keyboard).  The button comes back if I select another
>property page.  Any ideas?

The following code will at least hide and show the SIP button
(potential hack/workaround)

//
// PFCSipButtonShow
void PFCSipButtonShow( BOOL bShow )
{
    HWND hWnd = ::FindWindow( _T( "MS_SIPBUTTON" ), NULL );
    if (hWnd == NULL)
        return;

    if (bShow)
        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_SHOW );
    else
        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_HIDE );

Quote:}   // PFCSipButtonShow

:

clip

>Thanks!

>Vikki Pitts
>Safe Environment Engineering

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
46 Beach Street
Boston, MA 02111
www.penfact.com

Getting SIP to display

Post by vikki » Sat, 31 May 2003 06:25:29

Looks promising - but what event handler do I place this
code since when I click on the SIP button combo box I am
in the shell.  I have already put code to show the SIP
button in the OnInitDialog and OnActivate handlers and
even in the OnSetFocus handler for the edit control.

But .... how do I keep the SIP button from disappearing in
the first place?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

----------
>// PFCSipButtonShow
>void PFCSipButtonShow( BOOL bShow )
>{
>    HWND hWnd = ::FindWindow( _T( "MS_SIPBUTTON" ),
NULL );
>    if (hWnd == NULL)
>        return;

>    if (bShow)
>        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_SHOW );
>    else
>        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_HIDE );

>}   // PFCSipButtonShow
>:

>clip

>>Thanks!

>>Vikki Pitts
>>Safe Environment Engineering

address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).

Quote:

>Robert E. Zaret
>PenFact, Inc.
>46 Beach Street
>Boston, MA 02111
>www.penfact.com
>.

Getting SIP to display

Post by vikki » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:37:43

Somewhere in all of this discussion, someone suggested
putting some code on the WM_SIZE event handler.  Well I
added the call to SHFullScreen with SHFS_SHOWSIPBUTTON in
the WM_SIZE event handler for the property page and my
problem (where the SIP button disappears when you select
something from the SIP button combo box) is gone!

Thanks to all!!  I have learned a lot.

----------
>// PFCSipButtonShow
>void PFCSipButtonShow( BOOL bShow )
>{
>    HWND hWnd = ::FindWindow( _T( "MS_SIPBUTTON" ),
NULL );
>    if (hWnd == NULL)
>        return;

>    if (bShow)
>        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_SHOW );
>    else
>        ::ShowWindow( hWnd, SW_HIDE );

>}   // PFCSipButtonShow
>:

>clip

>>Thanks!

>>Vikki Pitts
>>Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by Dilton McGowan I » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 08:39:23

You're welcome Vikki! There aren't too many people who respond back, it's
nice to see that there are still people who are not inly interested in
fixing their current issue but also learning something new and challenging
others to do the same!

> Somewhere in all of this discussion, someone suggested
> putting some code on the WM_SIZE event handler.  Well I
> added the call to SHFullScreen with SHFS_SHOWSIPBUTTON in
> the WM_SIZE event handler for the property page and my
> problem (where the SIP button disappears when you select
> something from the SIP button combo box) is gone!

> Thanks to all!!  I have learned a lot.
> Vikki Pitts
> Safe Environment Engineering

Getting SIP to display

Post by r_z_are » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:58:43

Indirect answer to both question.

I actually use the code to _hide_ the SIP button, and I call the code
whenever I display a window that would be "bothered" by the button,
and that keeps it away. So you could probably call the code to show
the button whenever you are sure you want it. It shouldn't use much
time, so calling it a bit more often than necessary shouldn't affect
performance much. I figure calling it once for each of a few times I
call CreateWindow won't hurt.

>Looks promising - but what event handler do I place this
>code since when I click on the SIP button combo box I am
>in the shell.  I have already put code to show the SIP
>button in the OnInitDialog and OnActivate handlers and
>even in the OnSetFocus handler for the edit control.

>But .... how do I keep the SIP button from disappearing in
>the first place?

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
46 Beach Street
Boston, MA 02111
www.penfact.com

1. Getting the SIP to display characters from the symbol font

Hi, i am trying to write a basic equation editor and am
using the standard symbol font for the characters. i have
the symbol font correctly created and loaded in the
program so for example when 'S' is hit the sigma character
is displayed, obviously now i need the SIP buttons to
display the symbols and not letters. i think the SIP uses
a bitmap to display the keyboard, how would i go about
extending this to display the symbols?

thanks

2. COME SEE THE HOTTEST SITES ON THE WEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Q: Display SIP in kiosk mode without SIP or Start button

4. UG Rhein-Main Treffen September (german)

5. SIP Keyboard Display problem

6. "Marble Paper" on the inside of covers?

7. Display the British Pound Symbol in SIP (Urgent)

8. 28.8/36.6 sportster problems

9. SIP display

10. getting displayed number/email in Contacts

11. SIP Problem on Cassiopeia E200 Pocket PC 2002

12. How to change SIP(Current IM)

13. Bug? SIP\AllowChange is ignored