iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:09:21

I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF Memory
vs. SD Memory.

Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet other
posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD memory
will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is *very*
expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb of
Kingston CF Memory for that much.

I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.  Can
someone clue me in?

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Parker Darrel » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:23:22

I am at this moment listening to a MPE on the SD card on my Casio -- Most of
them are on my CF card though.

Parker

Quote:> I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF
Memory
> vs. SD Memory.

> Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet
other
> posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

> I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD
memory
> will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is *very*
> expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb of
> Kingston CF Memory for that much.

> I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.
Can
> someone clue me in?

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Wojo MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:18:43

Around 3/8in. to the back, 1/8in to each side, 1/16in to the front.

--
David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Quote:> I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF
Memory
> vs. SD Memory.

> Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet
other
> posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

> I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD
memory
> will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is *very*
> expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb of
> Kingston CF Memory for that much.

> I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.
Can
> someone clue me in?

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:36:35

WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness of the
device?  True?

Post by Parker Darrel » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:52:53

I am at this moment listening to a MPE on the SD card on my Casio -- Most of
them are on my CF card though.

Parker

I guess that is an MP3 that I am listening to.

:-)

Quote:> I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF
Memory
> vs. SD Memory.

> Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet
other
> posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

> I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD
memory
> will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is *very*
> expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb of
> Kingston CF Memory for that much.

> I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.
Can
> someone clue me in?

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Wojo MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:00:48

You are correct.

--
David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness of
the
> device?  True?

says...
> > Around 3/8in. to the back, 1/8in to each side, 1/16in to the front.

> > --
> > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > > I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF
> > Memory
> > > vs. SD Memory.

> > > Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet
> > other
> > > posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

> > > I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD
> > memory
> > > will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is
*very*
> > > expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb
of
> > > Kingston CF Memory for that much.

> > > I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.
> > Can
> > > someone clue me in?

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:22:16

I guess I just don't get it.  Why in the hell did they put the overpriced SD
memory as the native memory format (I.e., not requiring a sleeve) and put the
very cheap and highly available CF Memory on a damn sleeve that adds 50%
thickness to the unit?

What am I missing here?  Someone at Compaq or Microsoft has a severe case of
RectalCranialInversion.

> You are correct.

> --
> David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness of
> the
> > device?  True?

> says...
> > > Around 3/8in. to the back, 1/8in to each side, 1/16in to the front.

> > > --
> > > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > > Memory

> > > other

> > > memory
> *very*
> of

> > > Can

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:23:06

You could get away with keeping the iPaq in your pants pocket without the CF
sleeve easily, but I'm sure you can't do that with the sleeve. :-(

How do you carry yours?

> You are correct.

> --
> David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness of
> the
> > device?  True?

> says...
> > > Around 3/8in. to the back, 1/8in to each side, 1/16in to the front.

> > > --
> > > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > > Memory

> > > other

> > > memory
> *very*
> of

> > > Can

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by mindsprin » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:41:50

Looking down the road, the decision makes sense.  Since SD memory is smaller
and faster, I am sure device manufacturers will migrate to SD.  Digital
camera manufactures are doing that now.

As far as the price goes,  it's the usual initial pricing argument when new
technology first comes out: recoup research costs, ramping up production,
low initial sales volume to spread fixed costs over, etc.

> I guess I just don't get it.  Why in the hell did they put the overpriced
SD
> memory as the native memory format (I.e., not requiring a sleeve) and put
the
> very cheap and highly available CF Memory on a damn sleeve that adds 50%
> thickness to the unit?

> What am I missing here?  Someone at Compaq or Microsoft has a severe case
of
> RectalCranialInversion.

says...
> > You are correct.

> > --
> > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > > WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness
of
> > the
> > > device?  True?

> > says...

SD
> > *very*
> > of

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Wojo MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:50:14

C@ble,

What was Compaq thinking? How can we include another memory slot without
changing the size of the device. It would have required a complete redesign
of the device for to put an internal CF slot. Compaq promised sleeve
developers that they would keep the design of the device the same until
2003. I think more user would be upset if their 50, 150, 200 dollar sleeves
wouldn't work with the new device. I think the addition of the SD slot was
great. The SD form factor will be the standard but it will take time for the
price to come down. You have to remember CF cards were 1.80 per meg 1.5 yrs
ago. Now look at the price .50 per meg.

I currently carry my iPAQ w/CF Sleeve in a leather case I purchased at El
Portal (luggage store). Unfortunately they no longer manufacture this case.
I would recommend the Vaja cases. I like their style and quality.

--
David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> You could get away with keeping the iPaq in your pants pocket without the
CF
> sleeve easily, but I'm sure you can't do that with the sleeve. :-(

> How do you carry yours?

says...
> > You are correct.

> > --
> > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > > WOW!  That thick?  That must be adding about 50% more to the thickness
of
> > the
> > > device?  True?

> > says...

SD
> > *very*
> > of

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Tony Whitake » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:15:11

Quote:> Looking down the road, the decision makes sense.  Since SD memory is
> smaller and faster, I am sure device manufacturers will migrate to SD.
> Digital camera manufactures are doing that now.

I don't fully understand how the secure media works. I've had my Ipaq since
November, and one of the first bright ideas I had was to put all my
important code numbers on the CF card in an Excel spreadsheet - my credit
card numbers, my electric company account number, my mortgage loan number,
my insurance company account numbers - everything. I thought it would be
great to have these numbers at my fingertips. Then, one day, I took my Ipaq
to work, left it in my desk drawer, and forgot about it. I was in a major
panic when I went looking for it and forgot where it was. If any dishonest
person had gotten all that information, I'd cold have been in serious
trouble.

Would SD cards help in this situation at all? I think the technology only
protects your data if you lose the card and someone tries to read it in
another device.

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:15:25

Maybe you're missing my point David.  Considering how cheap and available CF
Memory is and how unavailable and outrageous SD Memory is,,, I would have
said "Screw the SD Memory iPaq engineers!  Let's make the native Memory CF!"

Right now, they want $208 for 128mb of SD Memory.  I can get 256mb of CF
Memory for $110.

Don't talk to me about "...you have to remember CF cards were...", blah,
blah, blah.  I'm making a buying decision **today** sir.  I can't wait for 1-
2 years to pass for the economy of scale to "kick in" so that SD Memory is
where CF Memory is *now*.

Compaq made a great decision is you're going to own an iPaq in 1-2 years.
Compaq made a poor decision if you're buying an iPaq today.

> What was Compaq thinking? How can we include another memory slot without
> changing the size of the device. It would have required a complete redesign
> of the device for to put an internal CF slot. Compaq promised sleeve
> developers that they would keep the design of the device the same until
> 2003. I think more user would be upset if their 50, 150, 200 dollar sleeves
> wouldn't work with the new device. I think the addition of the SD slot was
> great. The SD form factor will be the standard but it will take time for the
> price to come down. You have to remember CF cards were 1.80 per meg 1.5 yrs
> ago. Now look at the price .50 per meg.

> I currently carry my iPAQ w/CF Sleeve in a leather case I purchased at El
> Portal (luggage store). Unfortunately they no longer manufacture this case.
> I would recommend the Vaja cases. I like their style and quality.

> --
> David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > You could get away with keeping the iPaq in your pants pocket without the
> CF
> > sleeve easily, but I'm sure you can't do that with the sleeve. :-(

> > How do you carry yours?

> says...
> > > You are correct.

> > > --
> > > David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
> > > Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> of
> > > the

> > > says...

> regarding CF

> yet

> SD
> > > *very*
> 256mb
> > > of

> it.

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Wojo MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:12:10

Have you tried EWallet?

http://www.iliumsoft.com/wallet.htm

It works great. I was skeptical at first but now us it all the time.

--
David Wojciechowski (Wojo)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

> > Looking down the road, the decision makes sense.  Since SD memory is
> > smaller and faster, I am sure device manufacturers will migrate to SD.
> > Digital camera manufactures are doing that now.

> I don't fully understand how the secure media works. I've had my Ipaq
since
> November, and one of the first bright ideas I had was to put all my
> important code numbers on the CF card in an Excel spreadsheet - my credit
> card numbers, my electric company account number, my mortgage loan number,
> my insurance company account numbers - everything. I thought it would be
> great to have these numbers at my fingertips. Then, one day, I took my
Ipaq
> to work, left it in my desk drawer, and forgot about it. I was in a major
> panic when I went looking for it and forgot where it was. If any dishonest
> person had gotten all that information, I'd cold have been in serious
> trouble.

> Would SD cards help in this situation at all? I think the technology only
> protects your data if you lose the card and someone tries to read it in
> another device.

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Tony Whitake » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:06:08

Quote:> Have you tried EWallet?

Hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for the tip. I'm considering buying it.

iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

Post by Tony Whitake » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:11:36

Quote:> Maybe you're missing my point David.  Considering how cheap and
> available CF Memory is and how unavailable and outrageous SD Memory
> is,,, I would have said "Screw the SD Memory iPaq engineers!  Let's
> make the native Memory CF!"

But there's one obvious advantage to the SD cards - size. It sure would be
nice to have 128mb of flash memory on my Ipaq *without* the sleeve. Whether
or not that makes it worth the extra cost is up to you. You can still use a
cheap CF card with a sleeve, right?

Or, are you saying they should have incorporated the CF slot into the unit
so that you don't have to use a sleeve? I don't know how that would affect
the size of the PDA. I really think they're pushing the SD card because
they have a plan to shrink their PDAs in size and weight. The extra cost is
the painful part of working toward that goal.