T-mobile PocketPC phone: multi GSM (1900MHz + 1800 + 900), GPRS enabled like european XDA

T-mobile PocketPC phone: multi GSM (1900MHz + 1800 + 900), GPRS enabled like european XDA

Post by s » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 22:32:34

Please help me to understand the following.

I currently own a XDA, manufactured for Asia, it sports GSM900,
GSM1800 & GPRS.
It does now work on GSM1900.
Therefore I cannot use it in USA, neither with T-mobile nor with
Cingular SIM cards, since their network is GSM1900

Now  my 2 questions:

1.
is T-mobile PocketPC device a GSM1900 device only or a multiGSM (800,
1800, 1900 MHz)?
If multiGSM, then I can purchase it and use it worldwode (USA, Europe,
Asia), since GSM providers do not usually lock equipments in
Asia/Europe.

2.
Is T-mobile PocketPC device GPRS enabled, like european XDA?
If yes you can browse internet at 40kb/s

Notes
XDA O2 is GPRS enabled
Fujitsu-siemens is not (only GSM)

Thanks and please let me know

Post by Jim Buye » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 01:25:46

> 1. Is T-mobile PocketPC device a GSM1900 device only or a multiGSM
> (800, 1800, 1900 MHz)?
> If multiGSM, then I can purchase it and use it worldwode (USA, Europe,
> Asia), since GSM providers do not usually lock equipments in
> Asia/Europe.

It's configurable as GSM 900 (Europe) or GSM 1900 (North America)

European roaming is an option when you wigh up for service from
T-Mobile. Noyt sure about Asia.

Quote:> 2. Is T-mobile PocketPC device GPRS enabled, like european XDA?
> If yes you can browse internet at 40kb/s

Yes, but acutal throughput is much less than you would get from a
land-line modem at 40kb/s. It seems more like 4 kb/s.

Jim Buyens

Author of:
|\----------------------------------------------------/|
||    Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out     ||
||      Troubleshooting Microsoft FrontPage 2002      ||
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition ||
||                                                    ||
||              All from Microsoft Press              ||
|/----------------------------------------------------\|

T-mobile PocketPC phone: multi GSM (1900MHz + 1800 + 900), GPRS enabled like european XDA

Post by max ben » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 18:11:49

Do you (or somebody else) know what the other options mean?
like DEBUG/CALI.
or RFCAL
does NORMAL mean that the XDA then runs in Triband-mode?

max

> With your XDA (which is stated to be GSM900/1800 only), try the
> following:

> 1. While holding the on/off button, push the soft-reset button. You'll
> now enter the bootloader menu.
> 2. Press the Calendar button (upper right button). You'll now enter
> the GSM module menu.
> 3. Navigate down (with the navigation button, touchscreen will not
> work here) to "GSM1900" and push the navigation button. The GSM
> module will now be switched to GSM1900 mode.
> 4. Soft reset the XDA again. It's now set for GSM1900 operation.

> Perform the same steps to set it back to GSM900/1800 mode again (just
> select this mode in step 3.). Another option is GSM900 only mode.

> As far as I know nobody has confirmed yet the GSM1900 mode works
> correctly on a U.S. network. However I've been able to confirm that
> GSM900 only mode does indeed select only GSM900 networks.

> Please confirm if you have success on GSM1900 networks.

> Regards

> >Please help me to understand the following.

> >I currently own a XDA, manufactured for Asia, it sports GSM900,
> >GSM1800 & GPRS.
> >It does now work on GSM1900.
> >Therefore I cannot use it in USA, neither with T-mobile nor with
> >Cingular SIM cards, since their network is GSM1900

> >Now  my 2 questions:

> >1.
> >is T-mobile PocketPC device a GSM1900 device only or a multiGSM (800,
> >1800, 1900 MHz)?
> >If multiGSM, then I can purchase it and use it worldwode (USA, Europe,
> >Asia), since GSM providers do not usually lock equipments in
> >Asia/Europe.

> >2.
> >Is T-mobile PocketPC device GPRS enabled, like european XDA?
> >If yes you can browse internet at 40kb/s

> >Notes
> >XDA O2 is GPRS enabled
> >Fujitsu-siemens is not (only GSM)

> >Thanks and please let me know

1. XDA, 900/1800/1900 GSM?????

Can anyone confirm if the following post I read from the newsgroup is true??

Thanks

The O2 XDA (and probably the T-Mobile MDA as well) are actually
tri-band devices, although when sold they operate on GSM900/1800
networks only. Here is how to switch your XDA to operate on GSM1900
networks, so you can also use it in the US. No guarantees...

To switch from GSM900/1800 (as out from the box) to GSM1900:

1. Hold the on/off button, while doing a soft reset (push the stylus
into the lower left hole). Then release the on/off button. The XDA is
now entering the boot menu. You'll see "WALLABY Bootloader" on the
screen.

2. Press the calendar shortcut button (upper right button). You'll now
enter the GSM settings menu.

3. Use the navigation key to go the "GSM 1900" (touch screen does not
work here!). Press navigation key to continue.

4. The XDA is now set to operate on GSM1900. Reset you device using
your stylus on the lower left hole.

To switch back to GSM900/1800, follow the above steps but instead
select GSM900/1800 in the GSM menu.

2. VIP terminal

3. Swap a 1800 Mhz Phone with 1900Mhz ?

4. Stopping ESC from exiting dialog box -- how?

5. T-Mobile Phone Edition Same as O2 XDA?

6. How to minimize ProgMan from another app?

7. help requested using IRDA to connect T-Mobile PPC-PE to GPRS phone

8. DICOM Attributes and HL7 Fields

9. GPRS settings for T-Mobile UK (One2One) and Ipaq GPRS jacket

10. Pocket PC Phone - change to GSM900/1800

11. Volume Control on T-Mobile PocketPC Phone

12. T-Mobile PocketPC phone Serial Port Questions

13. T-mobile ROM update --> works when not using T-mobile as carrier?