CF Memory Missing

Post by Tim Squanc » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 06:01:56

Does anyone know why my 32, 64 & 128Mb CF cards don't show the full amount
of memory available.
I use Resco Explorer & it tells me that I have:
32Mb card = 30Mb available
64Mb card = 60Mb available
1278Mb cards = 120Mb or 124Mb (I have 2 cards) available.
Do I need to fomat them ?
Tjhe cards work straignt out of the pack & have not given any problems.
Help.
Tim

CF Memory Missing

Post by TJThornto » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 06:46:29

Just like on your hard drive, the actual amount varies by the amount of
system, admin, etc. files the card and machine need to function.  You will
always show less than the stated amount.

Quote:> Does anyone know why my 32, 64 & 128Mb CF cards don't show the full amount
> of memory available.
> I use Resco Explorer & it tells me that I have:
> 32Mb card = 30Mb available
> 64Mb card = 60Mb available
> 1278Mb cards = 120Mb or 124Mb (I have 2 cards) available.
> Do I need to fomat them ?
> Tjhe cards work straignt out of the pack & have not given any problems.
> Help.
> Tim

CF Memory Missing

Post by Tom » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 06:43:16

It works the same way as your desktop computers HD. If you have a 20 Gig HD,
it only shows 19+ Gig on it............Rest is File Allocation Table and
reserve space................

You are fine.................

TOM

Quote:> Does anyone know why my 32, 64 & 128Mb CF cards don't show the full amount
> of memory available.
> I use Resco Explorer & it tells me that I have:
> 32Mb card = 30Mb available
> 64Mb card = 60Mb available
> 1278Mb cards = 120Mb or 124Mb (I have 2 cards) available.
> Do I need to fomat them ?
> Tjhe cards work straignt out of the pack & have not given any problems.
> Help.
> Tim

CF Memory Missing

Post by Xyres » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:06:34

Actually, there could be another explanation.  SanDisk recently stated that
they have a different interpretation of Megabyte ... they're saying that
1000K = 1MB instead of 1024K ... and that is why SanDisk cards register
below what they should.

Xyress