OmniSky feedback

Post by AJ » Fri, 25 May 2001 23:55:55

Anyone using OmniSky service with their PocketPC?

Just wondering if there's any feedback on the service and how useful you actually
find it.  For example, is the 19.2Kbps acceptable?  Are they planning on
providing faster service in the future to their customers?  Do you really get
your money's worth from the service, or do you find yourself not using it that
much?

The obviously have a great deal right now for new iPAQ customers.

Thanks,
AJ

OmniSky feedback

Post by JeffM » Sat, 26 May 2001 00:23:21

Well, it is ok for somethings, horrible for others. I do alot of short
messaging, so it does ok. But for web browsing, forget it.

Anyone using OmniSky service with their PocketPC?

Just wondering if there's any feedback on the service and how useful you
actually
find it.  For example, is the 19.2Kbps acceptable?  Are they planning on
providing faster service in the future to their customers?  Do you really
get
your money's worth from the service, or do you find yourself not using it
that
much?

The obviously have a great deal right now for new iPAQ customers.

Thanks,
AJ

OmniSky feedback

Post by Kelly » Sat, 26 May 2001 01:43:50

I use it all the time.  In particular, the CorporateLink feature to keep up
with my email while I'm out of the office or in meetings.  If you stick to
PDA friendly websites, browsing is fine.  Unfortunately, large graphics
pages are pretty slow.  I beleive that they are working on some performance
increases with the next release of software.....

Anyone using OmniSky service with their PocketPC?

Just wondering if there's any feedback on the service and how useful you
actually
find it.  For example, is the 19.2Kbps acceptable?  Are they planning on
providing faster service in the future to their customers?  Do you really
get
your money's worth from the service, or do you find yourself not using it
that
much?

The obviously have a great deal right now for new iPAQ customers.

Thanks,
AJ

OmniSky feedback

Post by Supergu » Sat, 26 May 2001 02:58:53

I went with the Aircard 400 and Ricochet, but I guess that's for the iPaq.
Everything works fine.  Tried the 14.4K/19.2K with a cell attached.  Really
not worth it unless absolutely necessary, plus the Air will work in laptops
as well.

Hope this isn't too far off the topic.

<S>

Anyone using OmniSky service with their PocketPC?

Just wondering if there's any feedback on the service and how useful you
actually
find it.  For example, is the 19.2Kbps acceptable?  Are they planning on
providing faster service in the future to their customers?  Do you really
get
your money's worth from the service, or do you find yourself not using it
that
much?

The obviously have a great deal right now for new iPAQ customers.

Thanks,
AJ

OmniSky feedback

Post by Michael Gerbasi » Sat, 26 May 2001 03:36:28

AJ,
The data rate of 19.2k is very optimistic.  I haven't done a bandwidth test
recently but from other posts I've seen, it is much less than that, as low
as 10k.  Here is a link to the OmniSky egroup so you can ask those who use
the service.

http://www.omnisky.com/customer/discussion.jhtml

I have OmniSky and use it primarily for email.  That works well.  I don't
like the CorporateLink program and prefer to use the standard OmniSky mail
access.  Browsing takes between 2.5 and 3 minutes to load a standard web
page, so to me it is useless.  OmniSky has clipped web pages and is a nice
portal with pages taking between 10 and 30 seconds to load, so that isn't
too bad.

Is it worth the $25/month I pay, yes but barely.  Would I pay $39/mo, no,
not even $29.  They are planning enhancements such as CDMA support and data
compression.  If you don't roam between Verizon and AT&Ts CDMA service,
you'll do better to pick one of them especially if you have an ipaq.
Verizon offers unlimited service for $24/month.  The problem is they charge
you quite a bit if you roam on AT&Ts CDPD network.  With Omnisky it doesn't
matter which you use.  Also, Verizon offers data compression which speeds
browsing quite a bit.  On brighthand some have said with compression it
seems like a 56k connection.

If I can't renew my contract for $25/moth I'll probably go back to using my
ipaq connected to my cell phone.  Hopefully by next February bluetooth will
actually appear on my cell phone and ipaq and that will make using the cell
service that much easier.

Regards-Michael G.

Anyone using OmniSky service with their PocketPC?

Just wondering if there's any feedback on the service and how useful you
actually
find it.  For example, is the 19.2Kbps acceptable?  Are they planning on
providing faster service in the future to their customers?  Do you really
get
your money's worth from the service, or do you find yourself not using it
that
much?

The obviously have a great deal right now for new iPAQ customers.

Thanks,
AJ

OmniSky feedback

Post by Eric Stra » Sat, 26 May 2001 23:44:42

Omnisky works so well with the iPAQ that iPAQ users use it too much!
Consequently, Omnisky has announced that it is going to increase its prices
for iPAQ users only.

Beware!