Bluetooth - am I missing something?

Post by Kevin Spi » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 06:14:03

I have a T68i phone and, chuffed to bits with the bluetooth handsfree in my
car I decided to invest in some other BT stuff.

I bought a cheapBT dongle for my PC but after many attempts cannot get it to
sync reliably with the phone.Thinks I might buy a TDK one as they seem to be
better but haven't yet

Undeterred, I bought a Toshiba E740 pocket PC with BT. I have often checked
my e-mail with my old PPC (and palm before that) and it was a hassle lining
up the IR ports or plugging in a cable so I thought BT would be easier.

I though the PPC would detect the phone automatically once paired so it
could stay in my pocket but it appears, no.

Take phone out of pocket, set to discoverable
Turn BT on on PPC
Select "BT connection" or "BT Setup" on the PPC (they appear to do the same
thing?)
Select "remote device"
Select "Device search"
Finds the phone
Select "service list"
Select "dail up networking"
Select "connect"
Connection!
Go to "Inbox"
Select "connect"
Hooray!
I could have downloaded my mail already on the phone or via IR

Am I missing something or is this nonsense how it is supposed to be?
My handsfree finds the phone, connects, updates without any interference
My phone found a BT printer the other  day and happily sent a business card
to it without any fuss.
Why is this so complicated?

--
Kev

Bluetooth - am I missing something?

Post by Mauricio Freita » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 06:27:53

You want to do things ion a different way:

Pair the T68i and the Toshiba
Somewhere in your Bluetooth software you'll see "Set phone as Bluetooth
Dialup Modem"
Then go back to Start | Settings | Connections and change your connection...
You should have a "Select Modem" listbox, and "Bluetooth Dialup Modem" as an
option. Select it!

Now, everytime you start a connection it'll use the Bluetooth Modem (T68i)
automaticaly.

Let us know the options you have in your Bluetooth Manager on E740 (mine is
an ipaq H3970 but the idea is the same)...

--
Mauricio Freitas
Wireless and handheld http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Quote:> I have a T68i phone and, chuffed to bits with the bluetooth handsfree in
my
> car I decided to invest in some other BT stuff.

> I bought a cheapBT dongle for my PC but after many attempts cannot get it
> sync reliably with the phone.Thinks I might buy a TDK one as they seem to
be
> better but haven't yet

> Undeterred, I bought a Toshiba E740 pocket PC with BT. I have often
checked
> my e-mail with my old PPC (and palm before that) and it was a hassle
lining
> up the IR ports or plugging in a cable so I thought BT would be easier.

> I though the PPC would detect the phone automatically once paired so it
> could stay in my pocket but it appears, no.

> Take phone out of pocket, set to discoverable
> Turn BT on on PPC
> Select "BT connection" or "BT Setup" on the PPC (they appear to do the
same
> thing?)
> Select "remote device"
> Select "Device search"
> Finds the phone
> Select "service list"
> Select "dail up networking"
> Select "connect"
> Connection!
> Go to "Inbox"
> Select "connect"
> Hooray!
> I could have downloaded my mail already on the phone or via IR

> Am I missing something or is this nonsense how it is supposed to be?
> My handsfree finds the phone, connects, updates without any interference
> My phone found a BT printer the other  day and happily sent a business
card
> to it without any fuss.
> Why is this so complicated?

> --
> Kev

Bluetooth - am I missing something?

Post by Martin Nik » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 10:36:07

<Snip>

I managed to get my T68i to talk with my PC via bluetooth dongle - the key
seemed to finding some obscure menu and creating some serial ports for the
bluetooth (I can't recall where, as I uninstalled the lot as the Bluetooh
stack kept giving me errors!). It worked after that, but has got to be the
worst thing I've ever used. I'll stick to IR from now on!

Post by Stanislav Medun » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:54:30

Quote:> I have a T68i phone and, chuffed to bits with the bluetooth handsfree in my
> car I decided to invest in some other BT stuff.

> I bought a cheapBT dongle for my PC but after many attempts cannot get it to
> sync reliably with the phone.Thinks I might buy a TDK one as they seem to be
> better but haven't yet

Ditch the software that came with the T68i and install the one meant
for T65. This solved the problem for me - I have a cheap MSI BT dongle
(don't remember the exact type) and T68i.

Regards
--
                                                                   Stano

1. Bluetooth - Am I missing something?

Yes, thanks, I know - I have managed to connect this but only by going
through the sequence I described each time - it will not do it
automatically.
Also, how do I transfer, for example, a picture from the T68i? I can
establish a serial link in the same manner as above but can't do anything
with it.

Further to this, I bought a new USB BT Dongle today (Belkin) and., much to
my disgust, it's exactly the same as the old one. The software installs fine
and it finds both by T68i and my E740 but when it searches for services it
finds none for either device.

One thing I noticed (and I think it was the same with the other dongle) is
that nothing is saved if I alter anything in the device configuration boxes.

I'm becoming very depressed here. I've shelled out a lot of cash here and
can't get anything to work.

Help! Please

--
Kev

2. Image Software advice please

3. WMA File Association...Am I missing something?

4. Q: Warp4 loses net connection after use of DOS; is OK for OS2 access

5. iPaq Calender Bug? or am I missing something?

6. Multiple domains in AD

7. Viavoice -- Am i missing something?

8. Sprint FONCARD vs. AT&T Calling Card

9. iPAQ - Am I missing something?

10. FUN Pack - Am I missing something

11. Lets DO something about it! AvantGo & Yahoo forgets who I am

12. Something really weird going on, or am I going mad?

13. COM not linking -- Am I forgetting something?