Pocket PC 2002 FAQ

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/Mobile Devic » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:50:08

Merlin / Pocket PC 2002 FAQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Version 0.04

Written By:
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Contributions to the FAQ? Something you want to see? Email me at

Changes:

        upgrade) and the 32MB ROM image.

Q: What is Pocket PC 2002?

Answer:
Pocket PC 2002, aka Merlin, is the latest release of the Pocket PC OS. It
includes numerous enhancements to the Pocket PC, including an updated
Microsoft Reader with DRM5 (high-encrypted books), new Transcriber, Media
Player 8, Terminal Server client, updated Inbox and Pocket Internet
Explorer, enhancements to the Calendar and Contacts applications, and much
more. See the web sites http://www.pocketpc.com and
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com for even more info, along with screen
shots.

Q: What are the upgrade possibilities for my Pocket PC?

Answer:
Compaq has announced the ability to upgrade their iPAQ series of Pocket PCs
via a new ROM image. Compaq will sell these on CD-ROM, which will begin
shipping mid-October (you can order it online starting September 16th at
http://www.compaqordercenter.com/ipaq2002upgrade/). The cost is US$29.95,
and is free if you purchase an iPAQ between September 6th and November
30th, 2001.
URThere has announced that they will be making an upgrade available to all

will receive the upgrade for free; all others will have to pay for the
upgrade (pricing not yet announced).

Q: What about my Casio EM-500/Jornada 545?

Answer:
The Pocket PC 2002 operating system only supports the StrongARM processor.
The Casio uses a MIPS-based processor, and the Jornada uses a SH3
processor.
Also, neither comes with a Flash ROM. Because of this, no Casio and Jornada
units are upgradable to the Pocket PC 2002 OS. It would be nice to see a
rebate for previous owners of either series of Pocket PCs, but don't expect
one (and definitely don't expect a hefty rebate). Casio has stated that
there will be no rebate or trade-in for owners of previous
Cassiopeia's; HP has not revealed any special discounts for owners of the
Jornada 520 and 540 series.

Q: What about the new Pocket PCs?

Answer:
HP has announced their new 560-series of Pocket PCs running the Pocket PC
2002 OS. For full specifications, see the HP web site at
http://www.hp.com/jornada/products/560/index.html.
Compaq has not yet announced theirs, but expect a minor upgrade to the iPAQ
line.
Casio has not yet announced theirs.
Expect to see more announcements on the launch date, October 4.

ROM. Is this true?

Answer:
Yes. The new Pocket PC 2002 full ROM image is too large for the 16MB Flash

available but must be loaded into RAM. They can be loaded individually as
you please (if you don't use/want Reader, you don't have to install it),
and take up about 5-6MB if you install all of them. Certain other features,
such as spell checking and WAP in Pocket IE, will not be available in the
upgrade package. All new Pocket PCs should come with 32MB ROM to handle the
entire Pocket PC 2002 OS (the Jornada 560-series will come with 32MB ROM;
other manufacturers haven't released details on their new offerings).
For an easy-to-read chart of the differences, see
http://www.pocketpcwriter.net/article.php?sid=32&mode=thread&order=0 by
Arne Hess.

Q: I have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM. Is Compaq going to release an image for
this?

Answer:
Probably not. The 32MB FlashROM chips were only used in a limited number of
iPAQs because they couldn't get a sufficient number of 16MB FlashROM chips
from Intel. Because of this, it is highly unlikely Compaq will create such
a ROM image, as it would create a PR nightmare. Creating such a ROM image
would also cost Compaq quite a bit of money, as it has to go through a
creation and testing process. So, if you have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM, or
decided to put a 32MB ROM in your iPAQ, you are out of luck for the larger
ROM.

--
Rob Borek
CCNA, MCP, Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Pocket PC 2002 FAQ

Post by Me » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:41:51

Ok, gotta ask... Re the terminal service client...  Any idea if that client
will work on PPC 3.0?  IE,  w/o all that missing screen due to no scroll
area (at least the only TS client I have found has this - VNC works fine as
it provide scrolling, but the TS client for Hpc doesn't work well on pPC -
unless there is some other version from MS that does not have this
drawback).

> [...]

>Arne Hess.

>Q: I have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM. Is Compaq going to release an image for
>this?

>Answer:
>Probably not. The 32MB FlashROM chips were only used in a limited number of
>iPAQs because they couldn't get a sufficient number of 16MB FlashROM chips
>from Intel. Because of this, it is highly unlikely Compaq will create such
>a ROM image, as it would create a PR nightmare. Creating such a ROM image
>would also cost Compaq quite a bit of money, as it has to go through a
>creation and testing process. So, if you have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM, or
>decided to put a 32MB ROM in your iPAQ, you are out of luck for the larger
>ROM.

>--
>Rob Borek
>CCNA, MCP, Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/Mobile Devic » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:45:51

Merlin / Pocket PC 2002 FAQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/Mobile Devic » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:17:42

Merlin / Pocket PC 2002 FAQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

Post by Martin Melnic » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:34:05

How can I figure out if my H3630 is upgradeable?

> [...]

> Q: I have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM. Is Compaq going to release an image for
> this?

> Answer:
> Probably not. The 32MB FlashROM chips were only used in a limited number
of
> iPAQs because they couldn't get a sufficient number of 16MB FlashROM chips
> from Intel. Because of this, it is highly unlikely Compaq will create such
> a ROM image, as it would create a PR nightmare. Creating such a ROM image
> would also cost Compaq quite a bit of money, as it has to go through a
> creation and testing process. So, if you have an iPAQ with a 32MB ROM, or
> decided to put a 32MB ROM in your iPAQ, you are out of luck for the larger
> ROM.

> --
> Rob Borek
> CCNA, MCP, Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Post by Simon Couplan » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:07:06

Quote:> How can I figure out if my H3630 is upgradeable?
> <snipped>

Your iPAQ is upgradeable to PPC2002.

cheers

simon

Pocket PC 2002 FAQ

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/Mobile Devic » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:43:12

Merlin / Pocket PC 2002 FAQ