2 hard resets in 24 hours

Post by Rich » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:39:37

I have experienced the same problem however without the 3rd part apps that
you mentioned.  Also, like lilla stated  I too was using wmp7 to hotkey the
screen off.  I believe (i could have some of these details backwards) the
unit was on with the screen off and I powered the unit off.  it wouldnt turn
back on.  tried a soft reset and knew i was f**k'd when the unit brought up
the "calibrate the screen" applet.  This has happened twice in the past 6
mos.  I wish someone could help us get to the bottom of it.

details:

ipaq 3650 (prob happened once with old rom and once with new rom)

fully charged battery
1 gb microdrive

Quote:> hey  folks...

> i have had my Paqy, perform a hard reset twice within 24hours...the issue
is
> (as odd as this sounds)

> When i listen to music, (WM7 and CF sleeve) and the screen shuts off...and
> listen away....i turn on the device, stop the music, and then power
off...it
> is unable to turn back on without a soft reset...when this is
> performed...the Paqy actually performs a HARD reset...COMPLETE DATA LOSS!

> i have installed two pieces of software and i wanted to see if there are
> people out there using them (without issues)

> 1) BanannaPC from Snoopsoft
> 2) ScreenSnap Version 5.2 (unreleased)

> ANY information would be helpful,

> ~ M.

2 hard resets in 24 hours

Post by Matt » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:06:33

It's caused by an extremely low battery.  The iPAQ refuses to turn on
because it is using the little power it has left to preserve what is in the
RAM.  The iPAQ can stay in this condition for about 24 hours.  The soft
reset forces the iPAQ to turn on, causing a temporary power outtage to the
RAM chips and causing everything to be erased.  Hard resets occur when this
happens.  My advice is that next time the iPAQ refuses to turn on, leave it
off and plug it into the power adapter as soon as possible.  Then try to
turn it on normally and it should be fine.

Matt

> I have experienced the same problem however without the 3rd part apps that
> you mentioned.  Also, like lilla stated  I too was using wmp7 to hotkey
the
> screen off.  I believe (i could have some of these details backwards) the
> unit was on with the screen off and I powered the unit off.  it wouldnt
turn
> back on.  tried a soft reset and knew i was f**k'd when the unit brought
up
> the "calibrate the screen" applet.  This has happened twice in the past 6
> mos.  I wish someone could help us get to the bottom of it.

> details:

> ipaq 3650 (prob happened once with old rom and once with new rom)

> fully charged battery
> 1 gb microdrive

> > hey  folks...

> > i have had my Paqy, perform a hard reset twice within 24hours...the
issue
> is
> > (as odd as this sounds)

> > When i listen to music, (WM7 and CF sleeve) and the screen shuts
off...and
> > listen away....i turn on the device, stop the music, and then power
> off...it
> > is unable to turn back on without a soft reset...when this is
> > performed...the Paqy actually performs a HARD reset...COMPLETE DATA
LOSS!

> > i have installed two pieces of software and i wanted to see if there are
> > people out there using them (without issues)

> > 1) BanannaPC from Snoopsoft
> > 2) ScreenSnap Version 5.2 (unreleased)

> > ANY information would be helpful,

> > ~ M.

1. 2 hard resets in 24 hours

hey  folks...

i have had my Paqy, perform a hard reset twice within 24hours...the issue is
(as odd as this sounds)

When i listen to music, (WM7 and CF sleeve) and the screen shuts off...and i
listen away....i turn on the device, stop the music, and then power off...it
is unable to turn back on without a soft reset...when this is
performed...the Paqy actually performs a HARD reset...COMPLETE DATA LOSS!

i have installed two pieces of software and i wanted to see if there are
people out there using them (without issues)

1) BanannaPC from Snoopsoft
2) ScreenSnap Version 5.2 (unreleased)

ANY information would be helpful,

~ M.

2. Warning! -- SONY SUBSTANDARD SERVICE

3. 24 hour clock instead of 12 hour am/om

4. Seagate drive help?

5. 24 hour clock on Axim?

6. All-day events invisible in Calendar

7. E-200: The first 24 Hours...

8. New Programmer's Bookstore(com/msg)

9. 24 hour clock

10. 24 hour time?

11. Is the 'intentional' hard reset = 'accidental' hard reset?

12. soft reset = hard reset