How to implement help for my app

Post by Manfred Derenbac » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:27:19

I'm trying to add context help to my first PPC application 'Pocket
InfoHandler'. I created a lnk-file 'Pocket InfoHandler.lnk' (with and w/o
the extension .lnk) with a link to a html-file pinfhndlr.htm and copied both
of these files to the Windows\Help folder on the PPC. When I select 'All
Installed Help' at PegHelp I actually see an entry 'Pocket InfoHandler', can
select this, and can browse my help topics as it should.

So far so good. But now I want to see this help also when I select Start >
Help while running my app 'Pocket InfoHandler'. But nothing at all happens
then. I was thinking that a lnk-file with the same name as the app in the
Help folder was all that was needed, but obviouly it is not. What am I
missing? Please give me a hint!

Thanks.

--
Manfred Derenbach, MDE Software
Categorize your information with InfoHandler

How to implement help for my app

Post by Peter Foot [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:51:34

Within you app you can react to the Start >Help click and load your help
file:-

in eVB the Form has a Help Click event. You can add code called by this
event to use the CreateProcess API call to open peghelp.exe with your help
file and optionally the topic which you want to open.
See the Shell Sample  at businessanyplace for a CreateProcess example in eVB
http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=evbcode

in eVC++ you can add a handler for the WM_HELP message in your message loop
and use CreateProcess as above.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceh...

In .NETCF there is currently no way to handle the Start > Help click. But
you can use a Menu item or button and P/Invoke CreateProcess
http://www.opennetcf.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

In The Hand
http://www.inthehand.com
Handheld Interactive Reference Guides

Quote:> I'm trying to add context help to my first PPC application 'Pocket
> InfoHandler'. I created a lnk-file 'Pocket InfoHandler.lnk' (with and w/o
> the extension .lnk) with a link to a html-file pinfhndlr.htm and copied
both
> of these files to the Windows\Help folder on the PPC. When I select 'All
> Installed Help' at PegHelp I actually see an entry 'Pocket InfoHandler',
can
> select this, and can browse my help topics as it should.

> So far so good. But now I want to see this help also when I select Start >
> Help while running my app 'Pocket InfoHandler'. But nothing at all happens
> then. I was thinking that a lnk-file with the same name as the app in the
> Help folder was all that was needed, but obviouly it is not. What am I
> missing? Please give me a hint!

> Thanks.

> --
> Manfred Derenbach, MDE Software
> Categorize your information with InfoHandler
> www.mdesoft.com

How to implement help for my app

Post by Wye » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:24:30

Quote:> In .NETCF there is currently no way to handle the Start > Help click. But
> you can use a Menu item or button and P/Invoke CreateProcess

Does anybody know if there is any plan to support handling of WM_HELP
in .net CF in the near future? I recently started a couple of projects in
.net CF
for PPC, but I feel like this CF framework is somewhat "crippled", and I'm
thinking of converting them to eVC++ because of these *small* problems.

Thanks,
~y

Quote:> Within you app you can react to the Start >Help click and load your help
> file:-

> in eVB the Form has a Help Click event. You can add code called by this
> event to use the CreateProcess API call to open peghelp.exe with your help
> file and optionally the topic which you want to open.
> See the Shell Sample  at businessanyplace for a CreateProcess example in
eVB
> http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=evbcode

> in eVC++ you can add a handler for the WM_HELP message in your message
loop
> and use CreateProcess as above.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceh...

> In .NETCF there is currently no way to handle the Start > Help click. But
> you can use a Menu item or button and P/Invoke CreateProcess
> http://www.opennetcf.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63

> Peter

> --
> Peter Foot
> Windows Embedded MVP

> In The Hand
> http://www.inthehand.com
> Handheld Interactive Reference Guides

> > I'm trying to add context help to my first PPC application 'Pocket
> > InfoHandler'. I created a lnk-file 'Pocket InfoHandler.lnk' (with and
w/o
> > the extension .lnk) with a link to a html-file pinfhndlr.htm and copied
> both
> > of these files to the Windows\Help folder on the PPC. When I select 'All
> > Installed Help' at PegHelp I actually see an entry 'Pocket InfoHandler',
> can
> > select this, and can browse my help topics as it should.

> > So far so good. But now I want to see this help also when I select Start

> > Help while running my app 'Pocket InfoHandler'. But nothing at all
happens
> > then. I was thinking that a lnk-file with the same name as the app in
the
> > Help folder was all that was needed, but obviouly it is not. What am I
> > missing? Please give me a hint!

> > Thanks.

> > --
> > Manfred Derenbach, MDE Software
> > Categorize your information with InfoHandler
> > www.mdesoft.com

How to implement help for my app

Post by Peter Foot [MVP » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:51:27

Many of the shortfalls can be worked around - the work of OpenNETCF.org has
already added large amounts of functionality to the base .NETCF
functionality. I'm not aware of any support for WM_HELP coming in the near
future, unfortunately there is no easy workaround to this particular
problem.

What other specific issues are proving a problem in your applications, I
will do my best to pass the details on to the relevant people at Microsoft.

Regards,

Peter

--
> [...]

> > > of these files to the Windows\Help folder on the PPC. When I select
'All
> > > Installed Help' at PegHelp I actually see an entry 'Pocket
InfoHandler',
> > can
> > > select this, and can browse my help topics as it should.

> > > So far so good. But now I want to see this help also when I select
Start

> > > Help while running my app 'Pocket InfoHandler'. But nothing at all
> happens
> > > then. I was thinking that a lnk-file with the same name as the app in
> the
> > > Help folder was all that was needed, but obviouly it is not. What am I
> > > missing? Please give me a hint!

> > > Thanks.

> > > --
> > > Manfred Derenbach, MDE Software
> > > Categorize your information with InfoHandler

Post by Wye » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:05:20

I've been programming in CF for about a month now, and
many of the problems I've had either turned out to be due to
the lack of my familiarity with the framework or they had very
simple workaround solutions. Whenever I have some small
problems I usually move on to something else and try to come
back to those later on (if I don't forget), and I don't know
whether all my current "open" problems are due to the limitations
of CF or not. But, I'm feeling at the moment that investing
on converting my projects at this stage might save me more time
in the long run. I cannot recall all the *small* problems I've had,
but here's a couple of examples off the top of my head:
[1] You cannot hide the menu item. I usually develop full UI
first and release milestones with some menu items hidden (which
have only partial or no implementation). I couldn't find any
way to hide the menu itme added in the designer. (I think I can
manually do this using preprocessors if I don't use the designer.)
[2] You cannot change the color of a button, for example,
without writing your own custom control.

Regards,
~y

Post by Manfred Derenbac » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:00:51

Quote:> In .NETCF there is currently no way to handle the Start > Help click. But
> you can use a Menu item or button and P/Invoke CreateProcess
> http://www.opennetcf.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63

Thanks, Peter, that worked for me - though not quite straight forward. I had
to adjust the code provided in the reference a little before it did what it
should (aside from the wrong line breaks). I introduced a '?' at the menu
bar of my app that activates the context help as with other apps would Start

Quote:> Help.

--
Manfred Derenbach, MDE Software