GPS, COM ports, aaagh!

Post by Henry Beva » Fri, 09 May 2003 07:12:42

Hi all.

I have a Navman GPS jacket on my IPAQ 3950.  I think that
it outputs its GPS sentences on COM6, but some of the
sortware is behaving really erratically, so I really want
to see the raw data coming off COM6.

In Windows, I guess I could just fire up HyperTerminal,
and connect directly to COM6, but there doesn't seem to
be any equivalent hardware.  The only one I can find is
called vxHpc from Cambridge software, but that only
allows me to connect to

- Hayes compatible on COM1
- Generic IrDA modem
- Infrared port
- IRDA connection
- COM5
- Serial cable on BT
- Serial cable on COM1
- Serial on USB

If anyone had any ideas, I would be really appreciative.

Yours,

Henry Bevan
London, England.

GPS, COM ports, aaagh!

Post by Dale DePries » Fri, 09 May 2003 07:22:26

There are lots of utilities that can do this.  Check my web site for a list.

Dale

--
     _      _     Dale DePriest
    /`) _  //     http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

GPS, COM ports, aaagh!

Post by Darren Griffi » Fri, 09 May 2003 16:23:02

> I have a Navman GPS jacket on my IPAQ 3950.  I think that
> it outputs its GPS sentences on COM6, but some of the
> sortware is behaving really erratically, so I really want
> to see the raw data coming off COM6

Henry, Winfast Navigator will do this, see
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/downloads.asp, you'll find the link under
'Leadtek' along with instructions.
--
Darren Griffin
Contributing Editor

1. Connection Manager sees GPS but can't find on any of the COM ports

Hi,

I have a Pretec Compact Flash GPS attached to an expansion jacket for
my IPAQ running poscket pc 2002. The GPS is supposed to automatically
ne assigned a com port by the ooperating system but neither the
program i wrote or the software that came with the GPS can find it?!

HOWEVER, it does appear in the drop down list of modems in connection
manager, and if i create a connection using this modem and connect to
it, it brings up the 'manual dial terminal' and GPS data spews out to
the screen.

I don't understand how it doesn't appear on any of the com ports yet
it can still be seen and used by connection manager?!? can anyone
please help?

many thanks

Simon

2. trusted domains: limit admin access

3. GPS, muliple access com port

4. Backup to CD-RW?

5. HP565 serial sync cable to a com port, and a GPS serial conn.

6. Video File Types

7. yet another GPS- com port post

8. DNS caching

9. Help! interface ir port with serial GPS output???

10. Casio e-200 and GPS connected to Serial Port

11. Use of Communications Port to Support a GPS Receiver

12. How can I connect a PDA to a GPS receiver via serial port?

13. Use of Communications Port to Support a GPS Receiver