Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

Post by <pxwtfdlrbmAThotmail> » Tue, 27 May 2003 04:49:51

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003?

By Inge Wallumroed

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement
and why upgrade?

I take the HP iPAQ H5450 as an example.
It takes about 10 minutes to do the upgrade from PPC 2002 to PPC 2003 -
remember to backup your valuable files from your Pocket PC BEFORE you do
anything!

The upgrade is as follows
1. Reset your device
2. Put the device in the cradle connected to your PC and with the power
cable connected
3. Start the CD and follow the on screen directions
4. Wait for the upgrade to take place - 10 min - nothing happens that
e*s you - so you can do whatever while the process take place
5. After aprox 10 min your update is done and you can do the on screen
directed things - reset and start up
6. When you start your PPC you will notice the new stuff at once and you do
like the first time you started the PPC.
7. Then you can install the programs you want to have on your PPC and you
are done.

Zero Configuration Wi-Fi
The improvements are on the communications settings. It is simple to
understand now and if you got WLAN present, the PPC will find it and ask if
you will log on. If there is some WEP settings present - you will be
prompted for this. Tap the WEP code and you are up and running on the WLAN
in seconds! On top of the Today screen - you will see to arrows pointing in
different directions - that is the sign that you are ONLINE on a network and
have a IP-address. Those arrows has a double function - when you sync - they
move around to tell you that the sync is in progress - smart!

There is a new Media Player - series 9 - from the same series that you might
have downloaded to your desk- or laptop. Better design and mostly the same
functions.

In Settings there is a Certificate manager - smart if you use Digital
Certificates - this will be very common soon, for all that will tell the
reciver of e-mail that YOU are YOU.

Settings Connections is radical redesigned and I guess the meaning is to get
the user in control and easier to understand. Not as before, when you had to
"guess" the settings and maybe try once more, before you had the connection
right. I think that Microsoft is on the right way, but it can still be
better. I am still fond of solutions that I feel I am in total control of
the device or the device tells me what to do - no guessing. But, all in
all..a good step forward!

Some times the WLAN hangs - the solution; battery out for 3 seconds ...start
again and you are up on the net again in a few seconds.

Integrated Bluetooth support via WinCE.Net 4.2 own Bluetooth stack

I got my HP iPAQ H5450 a week after it was for sale here in Norway. So I got
some experience with it. I was immidiately a little bit disappointed the
first time I used it - and wonder why I changed from 3970 to 5450. The CPU
should be sooo much better I was told. But I did not think it went faster.
NOW I know what we were waiting for - the OS that is designed for the faster
CPU and now my iPAQ 5450 vis running faster than ever. I think the iPAQ now
is the RAW Pocket PC on the market - radicaly improved in speed and
stability, I do not reset it as often as before. I guess that all that
upgrades will feel the same! It was my first reaction: woow... it is faster.
Even surfing the Internet is faster than ever.

Pocket Internet Explorer has not much changes - some cosmetics in icons
(more XP like) and there is posible to set up a WAP gateway with the PPC.
But, as mentioned over - I surf faster then before. Other; support for XHTML
Basic, CSS, WML 2.0, JScript 5.5, IPv6 og animated GIFs (tested on GIFs -
works good! - but not so good on the "see through pics"..got some wrong
colors. Guess they fix that!)

Synchronizing is easier and faster (remember to upgrade to Active Sync
3.7!) - even though I have several 100s AvantGo pages to sync.

Jawbreaker - new game: "bubble popping puzzle"

Should you upgrade? YES, you should if you have the HP iPAQ H5450 series (I
have not tested it on other PPC). Why? It feels that this OS is the RIGHT
one for the iPAQ 5450 - cosmetics and practical changes and improvements are
done and made Pocket PC 2003 to a very good OS for the Pocket PC. And after
some (I hope few) ROM updates - it will be even better!

Upgrading existing devices to PPC 2003

According to the specifications on the upcoming devices the majority seem to
include 48mb ROM which means any device with 48mb ROM should be upgradable
to the new OS however this is only if the manufacturer provides a ROM
upgrade to do so. I think we will see ROM upgrades to the new OS from Dell ,
HP and possibly some others. Recently Dell has been releasing numerous
firmware upgrades for the Axim which proves they are certainly doing their
best to keep those devices up to date. Also the original Ipaq's were
upgradable to PPC 2002 so I do not see any reason why a similar upgrade will
not be available when PPC 2003 becomes available. Please remember that
Microsoft do charge the OEM for every copy of their OS so the chances of
upgrades being free are very slim.

A tip: Buy a SD card at least 64MB - pref. 128/256 and install all your
programs on the card. It will make your Pocket PC run faster - cause it has
more memory to run on. And you do not hear the female voice telling you: "
Your memory is low"!

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

Post by Steve Done » Tue, 27 May 2003 05:01:33

Quote:> Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003?

> [...]

> upgrade to do so. I think we will see ROM upgrades to the new OS from Dell
,
> HP and possibly some others. Recently Dell has been releasing numerous
> firmware upgrades for the Axim which proves they are certainly doing their
> best to keep those devices up to date. Also the original Ipaq's were
> upgradable to PPC 2002 so I do not see any reason why a similar upgrade
will
> not be available when PPC 2003 becomes available. Please remember that
> Microsoft do charge the OEM for every copy of their OS so the chances of
> upgrades being free are very slim.

> A tip: Buy a SD card at least 64MB - pref. 128/256 and install all your
> programs on the card. It will make your Pocket PC run faster - cause it
has
> more memory to run on. And you do not hear the female voice telling you: "

So where did you get your upgrade from, I thought PPC2003 was not out yet!

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

It will be out in July/2003.

"
> > Your memory is low"!

> So where did you get your upgrade from, I thought PPC2003 was not out yet!

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

Post by David Conger, MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Tue, 27 May 2003 06:26:30

Quote:> It will be out in July/2003.

Do you have a source for this?

--
Dave
MS-MVP - Mobile Devices

Upgrade to Pocket PC 2003? Is it worth the effort? What is the improvement and why upgrade?

Post by Rob B » Tue, 27 May 2003 08:05:19

That story was lifted from Inge's site.
You can read it (although its the same as what was cut and pasted here) at:
http://www.inges-pda.net/blogg.html

its about halfway down, along with a follow up near the top. He gives thanks
to HP Norway...

Take it for what you will.

Rob

Post by Steve Done » Tue, 27 May 2003 19:05:41

Quote:> It will be out in July/2003.

Ahh all becomes clearer. Saw the min-review on the web site. Has the sound
volume been improved on the 5450?

Steve

1. I am an american learning chinese and am looking for the best platform and

I am an american learning chinese and am looking for the best platform and
software to help me, including english to chinese dictionaries...

I want an English platform, but Chinese ime...

Any suggestions on CE / Pocket PC, and Dictionaries and software available?

Would eventually like to take notes on my hand heald in chinese as well...

Thanks!

2. Mail event log

3. PocketPC 2002 upgrade Am I the only one still waiting for it to arrive

4. Ultimail full and POP-Server

5. Upgrading PPC 2003 Premium to PPC 2003 Phone Edition?

6. Disaster Recovery

7. pocket pc 2003 upgrade?

8. Old and New

9. Why am I getting duplicate alarms with Pocket Informant

10. Why no AM Radio CF?

11. Why am I soft resetting my iPaq all the time?

12. Why am I now a guest?

13. Got VS.NET Pro 2002 - how to upgrade to 2003