Debugging PPC 2002 Inbox sending to authenticated SMTP server?

Debugging PPC 2002 Inbox sending to authenticated SMTP server?

Post by David Gibb » Sun, 04 May 2003 02:59:22

Does anyone have any hints on how to debug sending mail from my inbox to a
authenticated SMTP server?

I've got my sendmail server using LOGIN PLAIN authentication and it works
fine from Outlook Express... but when I try to send from my inbox on my Dell
Axim, I get the following error on the mail server ...

May  2 12:54:11 linux sendmail[18013]: h42Hs4Lm018013:
domain.iamsendingfrom.com [208.248.x.x] (may be forged) did not issue
MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dm

--
Visit http://www.midrange.com for free iSeries oriented, email based.
technical discussion forums

Debugging PPC 2002 Inbox sending to authenticated SMTP server?

Post by David Gibb » Wed, 07 May 2003 02:52:31

Ok, I'll try asking this question a different way ... :)

I'm trying to use authenticated SMTP with the inbox application on my Dell
Axim.

I know that authenticated SMTP is working on my mail server (sendmail)
because I can use it fine with Outlook Express.

However, when I try to use authenticated SMTP with the Inbox application, it
does not work.

I have debugged the connection to sendmail and see that it's trying to
authenticate ... but Inbox is sending different authentication responses to
sendmail than OE does.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

david

Debugging PPC 2002 Inbox sending to authenticated SMTP server?

Post by David Gibb » Wed, 07 May 2003 22:56:01

Quote:> However, when I try to use authenticated SMTP with the Inbox application,
it
> does not work.

Problem solved ... I did a bit more log snooping on my mail server and found
that the Inbox app was trying to login using the domain name added to my
user id ... once I removed the domain name from the server configuration, it
worked fine.

david

1. Pocket PC 2002 - Allow authenticated SMTP setup?

Have trouble with my Pocket PC (iPAQ 3670) in that the inbox doesn't allow
much flexibility in setting up the SMTP server -- I think this is why I
cannot send e-mail from it (i.e., I use a an SMTP server that is not
owned/know by the ISP to which I connect).  Get around this on my
desktop/laptop by setting up the SMTP server as authenticated - i.e., my
smtp server allows me to use it from any ISP as long as I authenticate.

Curious as to whether Pocket PC 2002 allows for this flexibility so the
inbox will actually work better.

I guess a related question would be, does anyone know how to patch in this
flexibility in the current version of Pocket PC Windows.

Thanks.

2. How to backup MS Office 97?

3. PPC 2002 Inbox Service SMTP Error...

4. Apple Computer, What Are You Up To?

5. Configure Inbox Send Only w/PPC 2002

6. Looking for High-Quality Content

7. Authenticated SMTP

8. Authenticated SMTP client

9. Authenticated SMTP

10. Authenticated SMTP?

11. Authenticated SMTP in PocketPC '02?

12. MSN Email Inbox setup will not recognize smtp server