T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Ashis » Thu, 22 May 2003 16:45:07

can anyone help me with activating GPRS on an unlocked T-
Mobile Pocket PC phone.  I have all the settings of the
GPRS service provider in the country but I cannot start
using it.  When I click connect, it asks for some Logon
password.  I think there is some "GPRS Authentication"
icon missing.  What do I do??

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Bill Middleto » Thu, 22 May 2003 22:29:38

which country - Germany?
Bill M

Quote:> can anyone help me with activating GPRS on an unlocked T-
> Mobile Pocket PC phone.  I have all the settings of the
> GPRS service provider in the country but I cannot start
> using it.  When I click connect, it asks for some Logon
> password.  I think there is some "GPRS Authentication"
> icon missing.  What do I do??

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Ashis » Fri, 23 May 2003 22:39:34

No Sir, I am trying to use it in India

> [...]

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Bill Middleto » Sat, 24 May 2003 08:17:09

Hi Ashish, which service are you using - Airtel World - BPL Mobile - Spice
Communications - then maybe I will be able to help you, although GPRS has
very limited coverage in India and as far as I know only the above companies
offer GPRS at the moment (although Escotel Mobile should be up soon).

Bill Middleton

Quote:> can anyone help me with activating GPRS on an unlocked T-
> Mobile Pocket PC phone.  I have all the settings of the
> GPRS service provider in the country but I cannot start
> using it.  When I click connect, it asks for some Logon
> password.  I think there is some "GPRS Authentication"
> icon missing.  What do I do??

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Ashis » Sat, 24 May 2003 19:31:03

Thanks Bill for your help.  I am using Hutchinson service
and they have launched GPRS only recently 2 mths back.
Just to update you, the problem I am facing seems to be
that some GPRS authentication icon that is present on
these Pocket PC phones is missing in my handset.  the
customer service officer at Hutch saw my phone thoroughly
and said that he had activated GPRS succesfully on several
similar handsets (the XDA model).  However on the TMobile
owned by me, when I feed in all the access particulars on
the Connection module and say "Connect", it asks for some
Loh on passwrd.  The Hutch guys sayds that the GPRS
authentication of the handset would have to be changed in
the settings to "PAP" but the relevant icon is missing.

See if you can help.  I will be obliged.

Thanks again

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Marc Zimmermann [MVP » Sun, 25 May 2003 17:11:28

Quote:>Thanks Bill for your help.  I am using Hutchinson service
>and they have launched GPRS only recently 2 mths back.
>Just to update you, the problem I am facing seems to be
>that some GPRS authentication icon that is present on
>these Pocket PC phones is missing in my handset.

If the device detects GPRS coverage, you will see a [G] icon briefly next
to the signal strength indicator (antenna) in the command bar, then the [G]
moves to the bubble that you see when you tap the signal strength
indicator. When this icon doesn't show up, you cannot use GPRS. There's
nothing you need or can do about that.

When you have the icon, you need to set up GPRS correctly. You need to
provide credentials when you try to connect.

--
Marc Zimmermann
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Pocket PC User Groups  http://www.clubpocketpc.de
Personal Homepage  http://www.zimac.de

T-Mobile GPRS activation

Post by Ashis » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:32:27

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your reply.  But my problem is not about GPRS
connectivty strength.  I think there some problem in
ymTmobile with respect to the GPRS software.  After I have
made all the settings in  the Conncetion Tab and I tap
connect, it asks for some Network Logon ID.  I am told
that this is not normal.  There is some GPRS
authentication Icon where I need to change the setting
to "PAP" from "CHAP".  I don't have any such Icon.  Pls
help

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>>Thanks Bill for your help.  I am using Hutchinson
service
>>and they have launched GPRS only recently 2 mths back.
>>Just to update you, the problem I am facing seems to be
>>that some GPRS authentication icon that is present on
>>these Pocket PC phones is missing in my handset.

>If the device detects GPRS coverage, you will see a [G]
icon briefly next
>to the signal strength indicator (antenna) in the command
bar, then the [G]
>moves to the bubble that you see when you tap the signal
strength
>indicator. When this icon doesn't show up, you cannot use
GPRS. There's
>nothing you need or can do about that.

>When you have the icon, you need to set up GPRS

correctly. You need to

Quote:>provide credentials when you try to connect.