IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Rakhi Pati » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:19:55



If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3 see it
as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load software
seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ. Reading
the posts about the
EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my Comodore 128
and bank 0,1
switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/ » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:56:14




Quote:>If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3 see
>it as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load
>software seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

>God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ.
>Reading the posts about the
>EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my Comodore
>128 and bank 0,1
>switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

It's not seen as continuous. The CF card is put into the file system as
\Storage Card, and you load up your programs, data, etc. separately onto it
(when loading programs, just say you don't want to install to the default
directory, then choose Storage Card from the drop-down box). I have mine
mostly loaded up with WMAs (via a USB CF reader/writer, which speeds up
things significantly vs transferring via ActiveSync).

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
ActiveSync problems?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by steven chmur » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:24:42


THanks. It does not sound that bad - yeah - I just want it for wma and game
images.





> >If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3 see
> >it as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load
> >software seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

> >God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ.
> >Reading the posts about the
> >EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my Comodore
> >128 and bank 0,1
> >switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

> It's not seen as continuous. The CF card is put into the file system as
> \Storage Card, and you load up your programs, data, etc. separately onto
it
> (when loading programs, just say you don't want to install to the default
> directory, then choose Storage Card from the drop-down box). I have mine
> mostly loaded up with WMAs (via a USB CF reader/writer, which speeds up
> things significantly vs transferring via ActiveSync).

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Rob Borek, MS-MVP/ » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 05:15:53




Quote:>THanks. It does not sound that bad - yeah - I just want it for wma and
>game images.

I use it for that quite a bit as well... I have a few classic NES ROM
images on it, along with a ton of WMA files. If you are going to be
transferring large amounts of MP3/WMA files to your CF card, I suggest you
pick up a USB CF reader/writer (such as the Sandisk ImageMate) as it is
MUCH MUCH faster than using ActiveSync. It only cost me around Cdn$36, so
they're pretty inexpensive.

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
ActiveSync problems?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Michael Gerbasi » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:17:24


Rob,
Can a program be run from a CF Card?  I thought with WinCE, it needed to be
in actual device memory, not on the storage card; was I mistaken or is this
a change with PocketPC?

Regards-Michael G.





> >If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3 see
> >it as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load
> >software seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

> >God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ.
> >Reading the posts about the
> >EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my Comodore
> >128 and bank 0,1
> >switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

> It's not seen as continuous. The CF card is put into the file system as
> \Storage Card, and you load up your programs, data, etc. separately onto
it
> (when loading programs, just say you don't want to install to the default
> directory, then choose Storage Card from the drop-down box). I have mine
> mostly loaded up with WMAs (via a USB CF reader/writer, which speeds up
> things significantly vs transferring via ActiveSync).

> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> ActiveSync problems?
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Sherry Zor » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:28:24


Many can be installed on the CD card.  But they still load into RAM when
executed.  Still, it allows me to have quite a few programs for my 16MB
Jornada 545.
--
Cajun (Sherry Zorzi)


> Rob,
> Can a program be run from a CF Card?  I thought with WinCE, it needed to
be
> in actual device memory, not on the storage card; was I mistaken or is
this
> a change with PocketPC?

> Regards-Michael G.





> > >If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3 see
> > >it as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load
> > >software seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

> > >God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ.
> > >Reading the posts about the
> > >EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my Comodore
> > >128 and bank 0,1
> > >switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

> > It's not seen as continuous. The CF card is put into the file system as
> > \Storage Card, and you load up your programs, data, etc. separately onto
> it
> > (when loading programs, just say you don't want to install to the
default
> > directory, then choose Storage Card from the drop-down box). I have mine
> > mostly loaded up with WMAs (via a USB CF reader/writer, which speeds up
> > things significantly vs transferring via ActiveSync).

> > --
> > Rob Borek
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> > Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> > What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> > ActiveSync problems?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

IPAQ+CF Memory - does the OS see it as contiguous memory??

Post by Michael Gerbasi » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:13:47


Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.



> Many can be installed on the CD card.  But they still load into RAM when
> executed.  Still, it allows me to have quite a few programs for my 16MB
> Jornada 545.
> --
> Cajun (Sherry Zorzi)



> > Rob,
> > Can a program be run from a CF Card?  I thought with WinCE, it needed to
> be
> > in actual device memory, not on the storage card; was I mistaken or is
> this
> > a change with PocketPC?

> > Regards-Michael G.





> > > >If I get an expansion pack for the IPAQ+CF memory card will WinCE 3
see
> > > >it as contigous memory or as a "RamDrive"??  WIll I need to load
> > > >software seperately?? Is it a pain in the ass.

> > > >God, I hope the designed it to just plug in and have a 96meg IPAQ.
> > > >Reading the posts about the
> > > >EM_500 MMC card and pain reminds me of writting assember on my
Comodore
> > > >128 and bank 0,1
> > > >switching the two 64 meg segments .... (the nightmere begins) ....

> > > It's not seen as continuous. The CF card is put into the file system
as
> > > \Storage Card, and you load up your programs, data, etc. separately
onto
> > it
> > > (when loading programs, just say you don't want to install to the
> default
> > > directory, then choose Storage Card from the drop-down box). I have
mine
> > > mostly loaded up with WMAs (via a USB CF reader/writer, which speeds
up
> > > things significantly vs transferring via ActiveSync).

> > > --
> > > Rob Borek
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
> > > Visit http://www.pocketpc.com for helpful hints, tips, and reviews
> > > What is an MVP? http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/
> > > ActiveSync problems?
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/pocketpcsync.asp

 
 
 

1. iPaq 38xx and CF Memory vs. SD Memory

I've been looking over historical posts in this newsgroup regarding CF Memory
vs. SD Memory.

Some posts said that with SD Memory, you cannot copy MP3 files and yet other
posts said they did just that.  What's the truth here?

I'm really torn about what to do about one versus the other.  The SD memory
will fit right in the iPaq WITHOUT a sleeve attachment but it is *very*
expensive.  64mb of SD Memory right now costs $110.  I can get 256mb of
Kingston CF Memory for that much.

I guess I need to know how much the CF Sleeve for the iPaq adds to it.  Can
someone clue me in?

2. Windows ME and Frontpage 20000

3. Is there a way to use Storage Card memory (CF) as Program memory

4. Networking library (bandwith)

5. Can iPAQ flash memory and Compact Flash memory cards be weared out?

6. Why no mention of IPRoute?

7. Memory card name changes when I move CF card from CF sleve to dual PCMCIA sleve

8. The PacificRoot Root Sync Report Mon Nov 5 05:53:48 EST 2001

9. CF memory vs. CF micro drive

10. Axim: Main Memory vs Built-in Memory

11. Memory, I need more memory!!!

12. storage memory VS program memory

13. Need memory filler utility for testing low-memory conditions