GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Dave Chian » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:59:10

   Recently I purchased a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC and I installed Pockets
Streets (2002)on my iPAQ. One of the features of Pocket Streets is that it
supports GPS tracking. I own a Garmin II Plus GPS receiver and I have used
the GPS unit in conjunction with my laptop and Streets & Trips 2002. The
combination operates flawlessly.
Quote:

> Microsoft and Compaq's instructions instruct user to connect the GPS
> receiver output - serial DB9 connector to the PocketPC's serial cradle. I
> have done that.

> When I use Pocket Streets and GPS tracking on my Compaq iPAQ, I get an
> error message - "The communications (COM) port is available, but no signal
> is being received. Make sure the GPS receiver is turned on and connected
> the correct port". I have set the COM port to COM1 and verified the

pin-out complies to DB9 standards.
Quote:

> Obviously, there is a "communications" problem between the GPS receiver
and
> the PocketPC. Neither Compaq, Microsoft nor Garmin can offer any
> assistance. I would like to know if anyone has successfully used GPS

tracking with PocketStreets and if there is any special cabling > that is
required to make the Garmin GPS communicate with the Compaq iPAQ PocketPC.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. You can reply to my inquiry off
list. Thanks.
Quote:

> Dave

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Nova Nebul » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 21:18:56

I use my Garmin-12 with my iPaq and it works beautifully. Basically, you
only need 3 wires to talk between iPaq (PC) and GPS. Pin 2, 3 and 5. GPS pin
2 must go to iPaq pin 3 and vice-versa. Pin 5 to pin5 (ground).
If you use a Null Modem connector between them, you MIGHT have to cut out
all other used pins 'cos Null Modem connectors has their CTS,
DTR......(other pins)  looped back (connected internally). These will
"screwed" your iPaq thus the software will report it cannot open the comm
port or something to that effect. If that happens, all you need do is do a
software reset (push the reset button briefly ..say 1/2 sec). I assume you
are connecting the iPaq serial cable to the GPA serial cable. But if you're
connecting the GPS directly to iPaq, just ensure the iPaq Rx go to GPS Tx
and vice-versa and iPaq Gnd to GPS Negative.  Hope this is helpful.

nova

>    Recently I purchased a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC and I installed Pockets
> Streets (2002)on my iPAQ. One of the features of Pocket Streets is that it
> supports GPS tracking. I own a Garmin II Plus GPS receiver and I have used
> the GPS unit in conjunction with my laptop and Streets & Trips 2002. The
> combination operates flawlessly.

> > Microsoft and Compaq's instructions instruct user to connect the GPS
> > receiver output - serial DB9 connector to the PocketPC's serial cradle.
> > have done that.

> > When I use Pocket Streets and GPS tracking on my Compaq iPAQ, I get an
> > error message - "The communications (COM) port is available, but no
signal
> > is being received. Make sure the GPS receiver is turned on and connected
> > the correct port". I have set the COM port to COM1 and verified the
> pin-out complies to DB9 standards.

> > Obviously, there is a "communications" problem between the GPS receiver
> and
> > the PocketPC. Neither Compaq, Microsoft nor Garmin can offer any
> > assistance. I would like to know if anyone has successfully used GPS
> tracking with PocketStreets and if there is any special cabling > that is
> required to make the Garmin GPS communicate with the Compaq iPAQ PocketPC.
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. You can reply to my inquiry
off
> list. Thanks.

> > Dave

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Sven Johannse » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 09:57:03

With your setup you will need the null modem. The Garmin pinout is designed
to take to a PC serial port, and the Serial cradle is designed to talk to
the serial port. The Transmit pins on poth devices are neccessarily the
same.  The null modem takes care of that.  Incidentaly, I understand that
Compaq makes two serial cables, one, the serial sync cable is designed to
hook to a PC, like the cradle. The other the serial comm cable is meant to
hook to a modem. That second cable would work without the null modem, but is
more expensive a solution.

>    Recently I purchased a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC and I installed Pockets
> Streets (2002)on my iPAQ. One of the features of Pocket Streets is that it
> supports GPS tracking. I own a Garmin II Plus GPS receiver and I have used
> the GPS unit in conjunction with my laptop and Streets & Trips 2002. The
> combination operates flawlessly.

> > Microsoft and Compaq's instructions instruct user to connect the GPS
> > receiver output - serial DB9 connector to the PocketPC's serial cradle.
> > have done that.

> > When I use Pocket Streets and GPS tracking on my Compaq iPAQ, I get an
> > error message - "The communications (COM) port is available, but no
signal
> > is being received. Make sure the GPS receiver is turned on and connected
> > the correct port". I have set the COM port to COM1 and verified the
> pin-out complies to DB9 standards.

> > Obviously, there is a "communications" problem between the GPS receiver
> and
> > the PocketPC. Neither Compaq, Microsoft nor Garmin can offer any
> > assistance. I would like to know if anyone has successfully used GPS
> tracking with PocketStreets and if there is any special cabling > that is
> required to make the Garmin GPS communicate with the Compaq iPAQ PocketPC.
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. You can reply to my inquiry
off
> list. Thanks.

> > Dave

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Kevin M. Agar » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 12:39:36

I went this route (The serial cable from Compaq) and it works quite well
with my Magellan. While it is more expensive (by a few dollars) it is
the more elegant, simpler solution. I just leave the thing attached to
my GPS' serial cable so all I need do is plug it into the iPaq when I
get in the car.

> hook to a PC, like the cradle. The other the serial comm cable is meant to
> hook to a modem. That second cable would work without the null modem, but is
> more expensive a solution.

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Sven Johannse » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:14:54

Could you tell Dave where you got the cable (part # maybe) he/we couldn't
find it on Compaq's site. He is leaning heavily toward the $5 null modem
solution, but it would be nice to have the option.

> I went this route (The serial cable from Compaq) and it works quite well
> with my Magellan. While it is more expensive (by a few dollars) it is
> the more elegant, simpler solution. I just leave the thing attached to
> my GPS' serial cable so all I need do is plug it into the iPaq when I
> get in the car.

> > hook to a PC, like the cradle. The other the serial comm cable is meant
> > hook to a modem. That second cable would work without the null modem,
but is
> > more expensive a solution.

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Kevin M. Agar » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:25:18

http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/pc_connecti...

Third item on the page.

RS-232 Serial Cable - Part Number 236251-B21

> Could you tell Dave where you got the cable (part # maybe) he/we couldn't
> find it on Compaq's site. He is leaning heavily toward the $5 null modem
> solution, but it would be nice to have the option.

> > I went this route (The serial cable from Compaq) and it works quite well
> > with my Magellan. While it is more expensive (by a few dollars) it is
> > the more elegant, simpler solution. I just leave the thing attached to
> > my GPS' serial cable so all I need do is plug it into the iPaq when I
> > get in the car.

> > > hook to a PC, like the cradle. The other the serial comm cable is meant
> > > hook to a modem. That second cable would work without the null modem,
> but is
> > > more expensive a solution.

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Nova Nebul » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:50:05

Sven, is null modem the right name for the cross cable?

nova

> Could you tell Dave where you got the cable (part # maybe) he/we couldn't
> find it on Compaq's site. He is leaning heavily toward the $5 null modem
> solution, but it would be nice to have the option.

> > I went this route (The serial cable from Compaq) and it works quite well
> > with my Magellan. While it is more expensive (by a few dollars) it is
> > the more elegant, simpler solution. I just leave the thing attached to
> > my GPS' serial cable so all I need do is plug it into the iPaq when I
> > get in the car.

> > > hook to a PC, like the cradle. The other the serial comm cable is
meant
> > > hook to a modem. That second cable would work without the null modem,
> but is
> > > more expensive a solution.

GPS Tracking , Pocket Streets & Compaq iPAQ

Post by Te » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:53:26

Check out this web page. It shows the hardware hookup for iPAQ to Garmin
GPS.

http://www.memory-map.com/recommended_pocket_pc_system.htm

Ted

>http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/pc_connecti...
>.html

>Third item on the page.

>RS-232 Serial Cable - Part Number 236251-B21

>> Could you tell Dave where you got the cable (part # maybe) he/we
>> couldn't find it on Compaq's site. He is leaning heavily toward the $5
>> null modem solution, but it would be nice to have the option.

>> > I went this route (The serial cable from Compaq) and it works quite
>> > well with my Magellan. While it is more expensive (by a few dollars)
>> > it is the more elegant, simpler solution. I just leave the thing
>> > attached to my GPS' serial cable so all I need do is plug it into
>> > the iPaq when I get in the car.

>> but is

1. Pocket Streets & Autoroute 2001 (Streets & Trips)

I have the European version of Streets & Trips 2001 (called Autoroute
2001 over here) and I have Pocket Streets 2001 on my iPAQ.

When I first got Autoroute, I could export maps straight out to the
Pocket PC using the 'Export to Pocket PC' option under the file
menu....

I have since re-installed Windows 2000 and Autoroute and now the
'Export to Pocket PC' option is permanently greyed out!

I have re-installed both Autoroute AND Pocket Streets on the same PC in
case it was a registry issue but to no avail.

Has anybody got any ideas?

I have tried the MSKB and online support (which advised me my PID was
wrong even though I read it from the product 'About' dialog and then
rejected my request!!!)

Thanks in advance
_____________________

Tony Brookes
Manchester, UK

http://www.tonybro.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~tonybro/Handheld/handheld.html

Using Virtual Access 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

2. Scanexpress 12000SP causes stribes with Prescan

3. Pocket Streets & Streets & Trips 2001

4. FS:Amiga RKM's and Devpac 3

5. Pocket Streets GPS Com Selection on Compaq 3835

6. DSL Upgrade Changes Computer Name = FP2K Webs Won't Open!

7. POCKET Streets & Trips 2002 1s GPS patch!

8. style writer 1200 with ibm pc

9. pocket streets & any other map/gps software

10. Microsoft Pocket Streets 2001 & GPS

11. Pocket Streets & GPS

12. Pocket Streets & GPS upgrade