Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC Questions

Post by Wilber » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:13:35

I'm thinking about buying a Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC and I was wondering
about a few things...

1) It the button below the mic a reset button?
2) Is the SD slot fully SDIO compliant?
3) Is the color depth 4K or 64K (I've seen both quoted)?
4) How does the screen compare to newer models?
5) Is the battery hard to replace oneself?
6) Does a cradle and screen cover come as standard?
7) Any big problems with this model?

That's enough for now I think! ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC Questions

Post by Wilber » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:51:32

Quote:> I'm thinking about buying a Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC and I was wondering
> about a few things...

> 1) It the button below the mic a reset button?
> 2) Is the SD slot fully SDIO compliant?
> 3) Is the color depth 4K or 64K (I've seen both quoted)?
> 4) How does the screen compare to newer models?
> 5) Is the battery hard to replace oneself?
> 6) Does a cradle and screen cover come as standard?
> 7) Any big problems with this model?

> That's enough for now I think! ;-)

> Thanks in advance.

One last question (sorry!) what is the maximum SD memory card size the 3835
can support. I know it was originally 128MB, but has this been increased?

Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC Questions

Post by Wilber » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 04:04:52

OK, I've managed to answer some of my own questions...

Quote:> I'm thinking about buying a Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC and I was wondering
> about a few things...

> 1) It the button below the mic a reset button?

No, it's an ambient light sensor.

Quote:> 2) Is the SD slot fully SDIO compliant?

No.

Quote:> 3) Is the color depth 4K or 64K (I've seen both quoted)?

64K
Quote:> 4) How does the screen compare to newer models?

Post by Wilber » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 04:05:40

> > I'm thinking about buying a Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC and I was
wondering
> > about a few things...

> One last question (sorry!) what is the maximum SD memory card size the
3835
> can support. I know it was originally 128MB, but has this been increased?

It should be able to support multiple GB cards, according to Compaq tech
support.

Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC Questions

Post by Ian » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:43:32

see below for answers:

> OK, I've managed to answer some of my own questions...

> > I'm thinking about buying a Compaq iPaq 3835 Pocket PC and I was
wondering
> > about a few things...

> > 1) It the button below the mic a reset button?

> No, it's an ambient light sensor.

> > 2) Is the SD slot fully SDIO compliant?

> No.

> > 3) Is the color depth 4K or 64K (I've seen both quoted)?

> 64K

> > 4) How does the screen compare to newer models?

not as good as later ipaq's (this model is 18 months old and not available
new in the uk now not sure about the US) - perfectly usable in car (I'm
using a 3850 for in car gps use and the screen is visible even on good sunny
days) and in office lighting etc.

Quote:> > 5) Is the battery hard to replace oneself?

Yes but you can buy kits on the interent with full instructions - do a
google search - it is not user replaceable in a "take of the cover and
replace the battery" sort of way, the unit must be taken apart.

Quote:> > 6) Does a cradle and screen cover come as standard?

Yes - again when new -  if you're buying off ebay check.

Quote:> > 7) Any big problems with this model?

some problems when first released fixed buy July 2002 rom update (for me at
least).  I've used my 3850 daily for 14 months without any problems (since
the rom update) - some models may have a problem with the backlight but this
hasn't affected me - my 3850 is on and running for appox 4 hours a day
(mostly plugged into the lighter socket on my car).

also re the sd card slot I have a 256mb card in my ipaq  without a problem.

HTH

Ian