Terminal Server vs Remote Desktop

Post by John » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:22:49

Is it possible to use Pocket PC to connect to other
computers like I would with Remote Desktop.  I have seen
the Terminal Server Client on my Pocket PC, but I can't
seem to get it to work with my desktops.

Thank you for any help

Terminal Server vs Remote Desktop

Post by David Conger, MS-MVP/Mobile Device » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:09:45

Yup, the TS Client on your Pocket PC should be able to connect just fine to
an XP machine with Remote Desktop.  Are you seeing a specific error?  You
may check your Pocket PC's network connectivity.

--
Dave
MS-MVP - Mobile Devices

Quote:> Is it possible to use Pocket PC to connect to other
> computers like I would with Remote Desktop.  I have seen
> the Terminal Server Client on my Pocket PC, but I can't
> seem to get it to work with my desktops.

> Thank you for any help

Terminal Server vs Remote Desktop

Post by Sooner A » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:08:13

As far as TSC is concerned, are you sure the IP of the PC your trying to reach is correct? If your trying to use a local network name, then you may want to setup a hosts file that maps local static IP addresses to the name of the PCs on your LAN. Use Marc Zimmerman's Pocket Hosts utility for that...

http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm

What OS is the target PC running? You need either XP Pro Remote Desktop or Windows 2000 Server running on the desktop in order to access the PC via the PPC TSC. For help with the PPC version of TSC...

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/club/support/support_topic.a...

For help with XP Pro Remote Desktop go to...

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedes...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remotedesktop.asp
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/

An alternative is VNC *IF* the desktop is *NOT* running XP Pro or W2K Server...

Get the server software from http://www.realvnc.com

Get the client for the iPAQ from...

http://www.allware.com.mx

*NOTE* - this all presumes you can access your local LAN...

--
    Al

benefit of all of us...Unsolicited personal emails are *NOT* answered.

> Is it possible to use Pocket PC to connect to other
> computers like I would with Remote Desktop.  I have seen
> the Terminal Server Client on my Pocket PC, but I can't
> seem to get it to work with my desktops.

> Thank you for any help

---

1. Terminal Services to Remote Desktop

Hi!

My WinXP pro machine is setup as a remote desktop host. I
would like to connect to it via my iPAQ using the terminal
services client. I have successfully connected using TSC
when the device is connected directly to the machine
[using the local 90.0.0.4 IP address]. I have also
successfully connected to an external terminal services
server using the iPAQ.

My question is:
I have a broadband connection with a dynamic IP. That
connection goes to a router and in turn the desktop is
connected to the router [where the router's IP is
90.0.0.1]. How do I go about connecting TSC to the remote
desktop machine?

I have read many Microsoft articles but have not found any
that explain it well enough for me to understand if at
all :(

Any help would be great!
Thanks
Rob

2. Windows Explorer Hang - CPU 100% usage

3. remote desktop/terminal services-total confuion

4. DNS and Internet

5. Terminal Serve for PPC02 and Remote Desktop on XP

6. Apstudio error RT 1021 I/O error

7. "Done" button on a terminal Window when remote networking

8. Need help with gcc

9. Accessing remote terminal services

10. Where on my desktop is my IPAQ desktop, I still have Palm desktop?

11. Remote Desktop control for Pocket PC?

12. Advice sought: PocketPC or AirPanel for remote desktop connection ?

13. Remote Desktop for PPC 2002