eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by David Beer » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:10:13

It seems like I read somewhere that there is a problem
having eVC 3.0 and VS.NET 2003 installed on the same
machine for doing PPC development.  I'm am as yet on the
fence as to which I am going to use (and in any case may
use each at different times) so I'd like to evaluate both
and know that I'm not going to run into trouble.  I have
eVC 3.0 installed right now.

Maybe what I read was about having both eVC 3.0 and eVC
4.0 installed.

I understand that eVC 4.0 is only for WinCE 4.0 (CE.NET)
devices like the new PPC 2003.  But can I use it to write
apps using the Win32 API for PPC 2003, or is it only
for .NET Compact Framework development?  More to the
point, if I want to write "pure API" unmanaged code that
targets the PPC 2003, can I do that from eVC 3.0 or do I
have to upgrade?

David Beers

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:22:07

Writing unamanged PPC2003 code requires eVC 4.0 SP2. You cannot use eVT3 for
that
eVC 4 can coexist with VS2003. eVT 3.0 has no problems with VS.NET either.
eVC4 + eVT3 are rumored to have some issues together, but not necessarily
so.

Quote:> It seems like I read somewhere that there is a problem
> having eVC 3.0 and VS.NET 2003 installed on the same
> machine for doing PPC development.  I'm am as yet on the
> fence as to which I am going to use (and in any case may
> use each at different times) so I'd like to evaluate both
> and know that I'm not going to run into trouble.  I have
> eVC 3.0 installed right now.

> Maybe what I read was about having both eVC 3.0 and eVC
> 4.0 installed.

> I understand that eVC 4.0 is only for WinCE 4.0 (CE.NET)
> devices like the new PPC 2003.  But can I use it to write
> apps using the Win32 API for PPC 2003, or is it only
> for .NET Compact Framework development?  More to the
> point, if I want to write "pure API" unmanaged code that
> targets the PPC 2003, can I do that from eVC 3.0 or do I
> have to upgrade?

> David Beers

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by David Beer » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:39:04

So, if I want to be able to write unmanaged code for both
PPC 2003 *and* earlier versions of PPC, I'll need to use
both eVC 4 *and* eVT 3.  Ugh.  When you say that's
not "necessarily" going to cause issues, can you be any
more specific about the circumstances when it does?

Also, since PPC 2003 can apparently only be targeted using
the brand new tools (eVC 4 and VS 2003) does this mean
that all PPC applications that have been developed on the
older tools in the past are now broken on the new PPCs? If
so, that seems rather harsh!

David

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by Neil Enns [MSFT » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:11:17

I have eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 SP2 and VS.NET 2003 all installed on my laptop (ah,
the curse of doing demos :) and they all run fine. Just make sure that you
install the SDKs *after* you've installed all of the developer tools.

Applications written using eVC 3.0 for pre-Pocket PC 2003 devices generally
run just fine on PPC 2003.

--
Neil Enns
Lead Program Manager

> So, if I want to be able to write unmanaged code for both
> PPC 2003 *and* earlier versions of PPC, I'll need to use
> both eVC 4 *and* eVT 3.  Ugh.  When you say that's
> not "necessarily" going to cause issues, can you be any
> more specific about the circumstances when it does?

> Also, since PPC 2003 can apparently only be targeted using
> the brand new tools (eVC 4 and VS 2003) does this mean
> that all PPC applications that have been developed on the
> older tools in the past are now broken on the new PPCs? If
> so, that seems rather harsh!

> David

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by Alex Feinman [MVP » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:16:13

The applications will run unmodified. The development tools won't work.
PPC2003 SDK integrates with eVC 4. PPC2002 SDK integrates with eVT 3.

As for coexisting, there were reports of people using both successfully and
the reports of some weird issues. I guess you'll find out for yourself

> So, if I want to be able to write unmanaged code for both
> PPC 2003 *and* earlier versions of PPC, I'll need to use
> both eVC 4 *and* eVT 3.  Ugh.  When you say that's
> not "necessarily" going to cause issues, can you be any
> more specific about the circumstances when it does?

> Also, since PPC 2003 can apparently only be targeted using
> the brand new tools (eVC 4 and VS 2003) does this mean
> that all PPC applications that have been developed on the
> older tools in the past are now broken on the new PPCs? If
> so, that seems rather harsh!

> David

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by Chris Tacke, eMV » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:25:09

I'm using 2k server and I have eVT 3.0, eVC 4.0, Studio 6, Studio 2003,
Platform Builder 4.1 and Platform Builder 4.2 all on the same machine
without incident.

-Chris

> So, if I want to be able to write unmanaged code for both
> PPC 2003 *and* earlier versions of PPC, I'll need to use
> both eVC 4 *and* eVT 3.  Ugh.  When you say that's
> not "necessarily" going to cause issues, can you be any
> more specific about the circumstances when it does?

> Also, since PPC 2003 can apparently only be targeted using
> the brand new tools (eVC 4 and VS 2003) does this mean
> that all PPC applications that have been developed on the
> older tools in the past are now broken on the new PPCs? If
> so, that seems rather harsh!

> David

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by r_z_are » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:33:42

I have eVC 3, eVC 4, and VC++ 6 all running on the same computer
running Win 2K Professional. I haven't tried VS.NET.

I _think_ executables built under eVC 3 will run under eVC 4, but have
had essentially no chance to try. I'm hoping that is true, because
distribution is easier with fewer versions. Meanwhile, I use the same
code for eVC 3 and eVC 4, and it builds without error. I know I made
very few changes. I _think_ the only changes I made were in linker
options. But I've been avoiding platform-specific functions for a
while, so my code may be safer, at least in this respect, than most. I
use C++ with no MFC, COM, or ATL.

Quote:>It seems like I read somewhere that there is a problem
>having eVC 3.0 and VS.NET 2003 installed on the same
>machine for doing PPC development.  I'm am as yet on the
>fence as to which I am going to use (and in any case may
>use each at different times) so I'd like to evaluate both
>and know that I'm not going to run into trouble.  I have
>eVC 3.0 installed right now.

>Maybe what I read was about having both eVC 3.0 and eVC
>4.0 installed.

>I understand that eVC 4.0 is only for WinCE 4.0 (CE.NET)
>devices like the new PPC 2003.  But can I use it to write
>apps using the Win32 API for PPC 2003, or is it only
>for .NET Compact Framework development?  More to the
>point, if I want to write "pure API" unmanaged code that
>targets the PPC 2003, can I do that from eVC 3.0 or do I
>have to upgrade?

>David Beers

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
46 Beach Street
Boston, MA 02111
www.penfact.com

eVC 3.0, eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003

Post by Doug Forste » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:05:22

Hi Robert,

Quote:> I _think_ executables built under eVC 3 will run under eVC 4, but have
> had essentially no chance to try. I'm hoping that is true, because
> distribution is easier with fewer versions.

Well mine won't run under CE 4.2 , but I use MFC. Work fine when rebuilt
with eVC 4.

Cheers

Doug Forster

1. EVC 3.0 and EVC 4.0 / >NET compact Framework

I am currently developing an application with EVC 3.0 for PocketPC 2002.  I
also develop desktop programs using Visual Studio 6.0. I would like to
evaluate Visual Studio .NET and the .NET compact Framework (I have the Beta
CD).  Can I install Visual Studio .NET and the .NET compact framework on the
same machine (Windows/XP) and still be able to use EVC 3.0, the PocketPC
2002 emulator and Visual Studio 6.0?

Howard Weiss

2. add & delete registry key

3. eVC vs Studio.NET 2003 - weird!

4. Transmitting motion images to remote monitors.

5. Using EVC 4.0 linker/compiler BIN with EVC 3.0

6. Banner Text

7. why eVC 4.0 or Visual Studio 2003

8. X2 - Multiple CODECs in Channel - Screwed ?

9. EVC++ 3.0 for PPC 2003 applications?

10. Setting up SQL CE with VS.NET 2003

11. File structure shown in VS.NET 2003 PPC2002 emulator

12. Got VS.NET Pro 2002 - how to upgrade to 2003

13. can visual studio 6 and vs.net 2003 final beta installed in the same machine ?