E-200: The first 24 Hours...

Post by Cyberian Knigh » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 11:20:11

Received my E-200 directly from Casio. I ordered it on
Tuesday and received it buy UPS 2nd day at 6:00 P.M.
Thursday evening. I've checking their site regularly and
they ran out Thursday but have stock again today. Anyway,
After having to wait 4 hours to get a good charge. I
proceeded to install my apps. I own an E-115 and I must
tell you that the E-200 is "different". I have seen the
HP 568 in stores and the E-200's finish is similiar to
that unit's.

The E-200 is not near as large or heavy as the E-115 but
I doubt that I could drop it like I've done with the E-
115, without causing cosmetic and internal damage. The
unit is not made from the same solid  "brick-like
material. The E-200 doesn't feel flimsy but is no where
near as sturdy as the E-115. To get a lighter weight, I
guess they had sacrifice the durability they ar known
for. I was relieved to see that my unit had no dust,
thank goodness. The screen is smaller and not as bright
as the E-115's awesome screen but I can read it outside.
Inside the screen is rather bright still. The E-200's
keys are not as solid as the E-115's but are adequate
although I question their placement. The speaker is in
the center joypad which still leaves me scratching my
head as to why they put it their. The audio from the
speaker is not booming but louder than the E-115. It
seems to have a lot of treble, sound is slightly "tinny"
and I can't see where there is a way to adjust it to add
more bass.

As for speed, it smokes. plan and simple. Apps respond
immediately and the USB cradle allows for very quick data
transfers and program installations. Besides the standard
Casio Utilities and demo programs, the E-200 comes with
Outlook 2002 and Active Sync. No extra software is
offered with the unit as far as I can tell.

The PPC 2002 interface is very nice and responds well. I
won't go into it's features here but skinning it
for "real" is cool.  I am going to install the the
Wireless Networker from Symbol(CF 802.11b Card) tonight
and see how it functions. It will be nice to still have
the SD memory slot open fro storage unlike on the E-115,
which has only 1 CF slot. I will post my results later
this evening...

E-200: The first 24 Hours...

Post by Trevor » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:33:15

Wow cool....someone who has it! :)  Please tell us lots about the machine as
I am interested in the unit also.  I still will want to see it in person
when it becomes more available in retail stores.  I was looking at a demo
Jornada 565, and saw bits of dust in the screen already!  And that is in a
store with no carpets....I wonder how it does in a home and/or office with
carpets.  The build of the Jornada was nice and solid.  It seems like Casio
has downgraded on the solidness of the case from what I've read. :(  Anyways
thanks for posting about the new unit.  I hope to hear lots more.  Take care
and have fun.

--Trevor--

Quote:> Received my E-200 directly from Casio. I ordered it on
> Tuesday and received it buy UPS 2nd day at 6:00 P.M.
> Thursday evening. I've checking their site regularly and
> they ran out Thursday but have stock again today. Anyway,
> After having to wait 4 hours to get a good charge. I
> proceeded to install my apps. I own an E-115 and I must
> tell you that the E-200 is "different". I have seen the
> HP 568 in stores and the E-200's finish is similiar to
> that unit's.

> The E-200 is not near as large or heavy as the E-115 but
> I doubt that I could drop it like I've done with the E-
> 115, without causing cosmetic and internal damage. The
> unit is not made from the same solid  "brick-like
> material. The E-200 doesn't feel flimsy but is no where
> near as sturdy as the E-115. To get a lighter weight, I
> guess they had sacrifice the durability they ar known
> for. I was relieved to see that my unit had no dust,
> thank goodness. The screen is smaller and not as bright
> as the E-115's awesome screen but I can read it outside.
> Inside the screen is rather bright still. The E-200's
> keys are not as solid as the E-115's but are adequate
> although I question their placement. The speaker is in
> the center joypad which still leaves me scratching my
> head as to why they put it their. The audio from the
> speaker is not booming but louder than the E-115. It
> seems to have a lot of treble, sound is slightly "tinny"
> and I can't see where there is a way to adjust it to add
> more bass.

> As for speed, it smokes. plan and simple. Apps respond
> immediately and the USB cradle allows for very quick data
> transfers and program installations. Besides the standard
> Casio Utilities and demo programs, the E-200 comes with
> Outlook 2002 and Active Sync. No extra software is
> offered with the unit as far as I can tell.

> The PPC 2002 interface is very nice and responds well. I
> won't go into it's features here but skinning it
> for "real" is cool.  I am going to install the the
> Wireless Networker from Symbol(CF 802.11b Card) tonight
> and see how it functions. It will be nice to still have
> the SD memory slot open fro storage unlike on the E-115,
> which has only 1 CF slot. I will post my results later
> this evening...

E-200: The first 24 Hours...

Post by Tony Linguin » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:43:26

Mine arrived at noon, and I charged it. I had an E115 and I'm debating about
how to connect to my cellphone. I installed the modem and connected to the
internet easily. I agree with other statements that the speaker sounds
tinny. The screen is brighter but a little smaller. More on the morning
report :)

E-200: The first 24 Hours...

Post by Trevor » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 16:29:05

    What's battery life going to be like?? I know you won't be able to
figure that out until maybe a couple of days....but please post once u have
figure it out!  I'm also interested in how the display looks compared to the
iPAQ and Jornada, and dust issues.....  What else...oh can u play games with
multi-keypad presses?

--Trevor--

Quote:> Mine arrived at noon, and I charged it. I had an E115 and I'm debating