Any Editable Grid Control for PocketPCs?

Any Editable Grid Control for PocketPCs?

Post by Alan Sonnenber » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

It seems like an obvious need for many applications to be able to edit within a
grid control, but the control from Microsoft doesn't allow this.  Ideally, it
would have different cell types (edit, combo box, checkbox) like you can have
with most spreadsheet or grid controls for the PC.

Anyone know of a third party control or source code to do this?  I'd hate to
start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.
<Alan>

Any Editable Grid Control for PocketPCs?

Post by TGoggi » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

There are two grids I know of (in addition to the MS control, that is). Both
are MFC based, so
if you're using VB, that might be a problem. The first of these grids is the
one that can be found
at http://www.codeguru.com . It's a good control, works well, paints
reasonably fast, and comes
with full source. If I recall, it's also free. I don't recall offhand if it
does in-place editing, but I
believe that it does.  The second control is the stingray grid
(http://www.stingray.com, I believe).
It also comes with source and works (reasonably) well, but I am disappointed
with the time it takes
to repaint itself, and I find it to be, well, clunky overall. Finally, it's
terribly expensive, although I
don't know the price offhand.

The other option you have, with regards to the MS grid, is to simply move an
edit control over
the cell in question, and fake in-place editing that way. Not the best
solution of the three, perhaps,
but it, too, is free and does work. (I did it for a demo once ;)

HTH,
Terence

--
Terence "Dr. CE" Goggin
Information Appliance Assoc.

It seems like an obvious need for many applications to be able to edit
within a
grid control, but the control from Microsoft doesn't allow this.  Ideally,
it
would have different cell types (edit, combo box, checkbox) like you can
have
with most spreadsheet or grid controls for the PC.

Anyone know of a third party control or source code to do this?  I'd hate to
start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.
<Alan>

Any Editable Grid Control for PocketPCs?

Post by Claire Harri » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I asked Roguewave about ObjectiveGrid and was quoted 995 pounds sterling -
but that is for a developers licence and distribution is free. It includes
other controls and classes that you might find useful if developing in C++.

Claire