Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Dieg » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:22:04

Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
player no longer detects a connected portable device,
reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
again'
I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Supergu » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:56:00

I heard that most problems with ActiveSync 3.6 are due to the fact that
people are not using the original disc to install the OEM USB driver.
Uninstall 3.6 and use the version of active sync that came with the
PocketPC.  If you still want 3.6, upgrade the OEM version.

Also, I find that even 32k wma's sound great on my e755 through a decent set
of headphones.  Plus the file size is minimal (good for quick transfers).
Each song is around 1mb.  You can get those huge DJ sets to squeeze in to 10
to 15 megs.  If you want to keep the quality, you can convert to 64k or 128k
wma files and still save on some space and transfer time.

Anyway, to change transfer setting from Windows Media Player, go to > Tools

Quote:> Options > Devices.  Your pocketpc must be connected, and you can configure

the PocketPC and the Memory card with different settings, so you can have
your favorite song right on the pocketpc in 32k to save space, but 128k on
the memory card.

Hope this kind of helps.

<S>

Quote:> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
> again'
> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Dieg » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:08:56

Very helpful! Thanks a bunch.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I heard that most problems with ActiveSync 3.6 are due
to the fact that
>people are not using the original disc to install the
OEM USB driver.
>Uninstall 3.6 and use the version of active sync that
came with the
>PocketPC.  If you still want 3.6, upgrade the OEM
version.

>Also, I find that even 32k wma's sound great on my e755

through a decent set
Quote:>of headphones.  Plus the file size is minimal (good for
quick transfers).
>Each song is around 1mb.  You can get those huge DJ sets
to squeeze in to 10
>to 15 megs.  If you want to keep the quality, you can

convert to 64k or 128k
Quote:>wma files and still save on some space and transfer time.

>Anyway, to change transfer setting from Windows Media

Player, go to > Tools
Quote:>> Options > Devices.  Your pocketpc must be connected,

and you can configure
Quote:>the PocketPC and the Memory card with different

settings, so you can have
>your favorite song right on the pocketpc in 32k to save
space, but 128k on
>the memory card.

>Hope this kind of helps.

><S>

>> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
>> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I
keep
>> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
>> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of
it
>> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
>> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
>> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
>> again'
>> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Quintin Rii » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:15:17

?  Use Explorer to transfer the files.

--
Quintin
-------

Quote:> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
> again'
> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Sykee » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:38:41

You might find it better to use an SD reader plugged straight into your PC's
USB port. It's so much faster than sync-ing and, in my experience, trouble
free. I use a Sandisk Cruzer (cost me $65 - including a 'free' 256mb card -
from eCost, so in reality it's the Cruzer that's free) and can move a CD's
worth of WMA files onto the SD card in about a minute. Just a thought.
Keith

Quote:> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
> again'
> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Ed » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:44:16

I had a similar problem;  I got a PCMCIA adapter and just copied the files
to the card directly and then reinserted the card in the pocket PC..

Quote:> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
> again'
> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Transferring mp3s w/ Pocket PC and Windows media player

Post by Ray » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:13:08

I solved this problem by buying a storage card reader for my PC. It acts
like a minny hard drive and I just transfer my MP3's that way and then
insert the card into my PPC

Quote:> Just bought the Toshiba e330 a few weeks ago and bought
> an additional storage card to put mp3's on it and I keep
> encountering the same issue. Everytime I try to trasfer
> mp3s (around 57 mb in size) it copies about 10 min of it
> and disconnects. I get a message saying 'Windows media
> player no longer detects a connected portable device,
> reconnect your portable device and try copying the file
> again'
> I am using Active Sync version 3.6 (build 2148)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Windows Media Goes Wireless With New Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

Read
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Nov00/WirelessStreaming...
(it is currently only available for the iPAQ, but will be available for the
Casio and HP Jornada units shortly). You guys got your wish - streaming
audio and video!

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Windows CE

2. More questions

3. Windows Media Rights Manager SDK 7 (DRM) and Windows Media Player for Pocket PC

4. rotating height field terrains

5. mp3 player for pocket pc - Media player 8 sucks

6. Looking for xfig-like tool for DOS -help

7. Windows Media Encoder / Windows Media Player

8. make Irix syslogd like DEC UNIX syslogd?

9. Windows Media Player file transfer

10. Transferring Windows Media Player 7.1 Files To PPC in WM Format

11. Windows Media Player 7 *can* transfer to a CF card reader!

12. iPaq - Windows Media Player 7 and MP3

13. Windows Media Player & MP3 Playlists