processor type/speed matters?

processor type/speed matters?

Post by Ecomod » Fri, 23 May 2003 12:34:40



Hello. I'm new to pocketpc's, I've been using palm OS since I got into this.
I was wondering if there was a difference in performance between the 206MHz
Intel StrongARM and the Intel? XScaleT PXA250, 200 MHz or 300MHz chip.
I'm buying a new Pocket PC and was looking at the Audiovox's with the older
processor because of their compact flash and MMC/SD ports where as other
pocket pc's have faster processors and not the compact flash.
 
 
 

processor type/speed matters?

Post by Rob B » Fri, 23 May 2003 14:56:16


For typical applications, not really. Some things might be quicker, others
slower.

Be advised though, that the Maestro is a bit long in the tooth now.

Besides the older processor, it only has 32MB of RAM, and has the older
reflective screen, where most, if not all new models have the richer
transflective screen. In my opinion, the reflective screen seems better
outside, and worse inside. Also, charge that thing daily! It has perhaps the
worst battery life of any PocketPC, so spend an extra 20 dollars on a 12v
car charger. The Audiovox is made by Toshiba, so you can use a charger for a
Toshiba 3xx or 7xx series.

It's still a good unit though, like you say, its one of the few to offer
BOTH slots onboard. Until a few months ago, I had used one for nearly a year
and a half, but it is starting to show its age. I retired it to my desk
drawer, only to bring it out every so often for fresh air and a recharge.

Rob


Quote:> Hello. I'm new to pocketpc's, I've been using palm OS since I got into
this.
> I was wondering if there was a difference in performance between the
206MHz
> Intel StrongARM and the Intel? XScaleT PXA250, 200 MHz or 300MHz chip.
> I'm buying a new Pocket PC and was looking at the Audiovox's with the
older
> processor because of their compact flash and MMC/SD ports where as other
> pocket pc's have faster processors and not the compact flash.


 
 
 

processor type/speed matters?

Post by Ecomod » Fri, 23 May 2003 21:44:33


Would the version of it's operating system be a problem in dealing with
applications? I like to download stuff and use it on my palm and would like
to continue on with pocket pc games and such....thanks.


> For typical applications, not really. Some things might be quicker, others
> slower.

> Be advised though, that the Maestro is a bit long in the tooth now.

> Besides the older processor, it only has 32MB of RAM, and has the older
> reflective screen, where most, if not all new models have the richer
> transflective screen. In my opinion, the reflective screen seems better
> outside, and worse inside. Also, charge that thing daily! It has perhaps
the
> worst battery life of any PocketPC, so spend an extra 20 dollars on a 12v
> car charger. The Audiovox is made by Toshiba, so you can use a charger for
a
> Toshiba 3xx or 7xx series.

> It's still a good unit though, like you say, its one of the few to offer
> BOTH slots onboard. Until a few months ago, I had used one for nearly a
year
> and a half, but it is starting to show its age. I retired it to my desk
> drawer, only to bring it out every so often for fresh air and a recharge.

> Rob



> > Hello. I'm new to pocketpc's, I've been using palm OS since I got into
> this.
> > I was wondering if there was a difference in performance between the
> 206MHz
> > Intel StrongARM and the Intel? XScaleT PXA250, 200 MHz or 300MHz chip.
> > I'm buying a new Pocket PC and was looking at the Audiovox's with the
> older
> > processor because of their compact flash and MMC/SD ports where as other
> > pocket pc's have faster processors and not the compact flash.

 
 
 

processor type/speed matters?

Post by Rob B » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:12:36


Not sure I understand the question. If you want to continue using Palms apps
on the Maestro, then no.

If you're just interested in downloading PocketPC specific software, and
running, that's fine. The Maestro runs the most current version of the
Pocket PC OS, you'll just have to make sure any program you download and
install is ARM compatible. This would be true as well with the XScale
devices, since these are ARM compliant. Most programs can also be stored on
a Storage Card, so you can add install apps to your SD card, and still have
your CF slot free. Another plus that I just remembered is that it does have
an SDI/O slot.

All that being said, currently the Maestro has the most up to date OS,
however rumors abound that the PocketPC2003 OS is due to be released in a
matter of weeks. It is up to the manufactures to release the upgrade to
their customers, and
a) They are under no legal obligation to do so, and
b) Should the manufacturer decide to indeed release the new OS, they do not
have to offer it as a free upgrade.

Given the age of the Audiovox it's entirely possible they wouldn't release
an OS upgrade for this device. I say it's possible, but I have no knowledge
of this one way or the other. This wouldn't be the sole reason for me NOT to
buy it, but it would be a factor.

Rob


> Would the version of it's operating system be a problem in dealing with
> applications? I like to download stuff and use it on my palm and would
like
> to continue on with pocket pc games and such....thanks.



> > For typical applications, not really. Some things might be quicker,
others
> > slower.

> > Be advised though, that the Maestro is a bit long in the tooth now.

> > Besides the older processor, it only has 32MB of RAM, and has the older
> > reflective screen, where most, if not all new models have the richer
> > transflective screen. In my opinion, the reflective screen seems better
> > outside, and worse inside. Also, charge that thing daily! It has perhaps
> the
> > worst battery life of any PocketPC, so spend an extra 20 dollars on a
12v
> > car charger. The Audiovox is made by Toshiba, so you can use a charger
for
> a
> > Toshiba 3xx or 7xx series.

> > It's still a good unit though, like you say, its one of the few to offer
> > BOTH slots onboard. Until a few months ago, I had used one for nearly a
> year
> > and a half, but it is starting to show its age. I retired it to my desk
> > drawer, only to bring it out every so often for fresh air and a
recharge.

> > Rob



> > > Hello. I'm new to pocketpc's, I've been using palm OS since I got into
> > this.
> > > I was wondering if there was a difference in performance between the
> > 206MHz
> > > Intel StrongARM and the Intel? XScaleT PXA250, 200 MHz or 300MHz chip.
> > > I'm buying a new Pocket PC and was looking at the Audiovox's with the
> > older
> > > processor because of their compact flash and MMC/SD ports where as
other
> > > pocket pc's have faster processors and not the compact flash.

 
 
 

processor type/speed matters?

Post by Stev » Tue, 27 May 2003 10:00:59


No problem!
We Maestro users will just use the Ipaq upgrade like we did in the past.. :)

> Not sure I understand the question. If you want to continue using Palms apps
> on the Maestro, then no.

> If you're just interested in downloading PocketPC specific software, and
> running, that's fine. The Maestro runs the most current version of the
> Pocket PC OS, you'll just have to make sure any program you download and
> install is ARM compatible. This would be true as well with the XScale
> devices, since these are ARM compliant. Most programs can also be stored on
> a Storage Card, so you can add install apps to your SD card, and still have
> your CF slot free. Another plus that I just remembered is that it does have
> an SDI/O slot.

> All that being said, currently the Maestro has the most up to date OS,
> however rumors abound that the PocketPC2003 OS is due to be released in a
> matter of weeks. It is up to the manufactures to release the upgrade to
> their customers, and
> a) They are under no legal obligation to do so, and
> b) Should the manufacturer decide to indeed release the new OS, they do not
> have to offer it as a free upgrade.

> Given the age of the Audiovox it's entirely possible they wouldn't release
> an OS upgrade for this device. I say it's possible, but I have no knowledge
> of this one way or the other. This wouldn't be the sole reason for me NOT to
> buy it, but it would be a factor.

> Rob



> > Would the version of it's operating system be a problem in dealing with
> > applications? I like to download stuff and use it on my palm and would
>  like
> > to continue on with pocket pc games and such....thanks.



> > > For typical applications, not really. Some things might be quicker,
>  others
> > > slower.

> > > Be advised though, that the Maestro is a bit long in the tooth now.

> > > Besides the older processor, it only has 32MB of RAM, and has the older
> > > reflective screen, where most, if not all new models have the richer
> > > transflective screen. In my opinion, the reflective screen seems better
> > > outside, and worse inside. Also, charge that thing daily! It has perhaps
>  the
> > > worst battery life of any PocketPC, so spend an extra 20 dollars on a
>  12v
> > > car charger. The Audiovox is made by Toshiba, so you can use a charger
>  for
>  a
> > > Toshiba 3xx or 7xx series.

> > > It's still a good unit though, like you say, its one of the few to offer
> > > BOTH slots onboard. Until a few months ago, I had used one for nearly a
>  year
> > > and a half, but it is starting to show its age. I retired it to my desk
> > > drawer, only to bring it out every so often for fresh air and a
>  recharge.

> > > Rob



> > > > Hello. I'm new to pocketpc's, I've been using palm OS since I got into
>  this.
> > > > I was wondering if there was a difference in performance between the
>  206MHz
> > > > Intel StrongARM and the Intel? XScaleT PXA250, 200 MHz or 300MHz chip.
> > > > I'm buying a new Pocket PC and was looking at the Audiovox's with the
>  older
> > > > processor because of their compact flash and MMC/SD ports where as
>  other
> > > > pocket pc's have faster processors and not the compact flash.

 
 
 

1. How to measure processor speed?

How can I measure the speed of the processor? I have installed bUSEFUL
analyser, but it only gives values for different benchmark tests. After
overclocking my e125 I see an improvement of these values, but, how to
interpret the results?
-----
Dan

2. Need help with entry level voip setup

3. Processor speed and RAM

4. GDOS 1.1 (!) drivers and paper size

5. type of processor

6. Blank Cd's $2.80 each with NO MINIMUM ORDER

7. Processor type of Dell Axim X5

8. How to Tell Which Type of Processor?

9. Casiopia processor type?

10. Processor type

11. What is Dell Axim processor type for eVB?

12. Processor type in E-115