Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Robert M Kosti » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:21:48



I was all but decided to spring for a 3870 'til I read some posts in this
newsgroups about the terrible problems with lockups and over-rated
bluetooth.  Keeping in mind that the unfortunate folks MAY BE a minority...

QUESTION: does anyone have a 3870, AND is using the bluetooth features AND
still thinks it's a great PPC with little or no probs?  Or is it really a
cool-looking but poorly designed, prematurely released hunk of junk?

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Joel Horne » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:28:32




Quote:> I was all but decided to spring for a 3870 'til I read some posts in this
> newsgroups about the terrible problems with lockups and over-rated
> bluetooth.  Keeping in mind that the unfortunate folks MAY BE a
minority...

> QUESTION: does anyone have a 3870, AND is using the bluetooth features AND
> still thinks it's a great PPC with little or no probs?  Or is it really a
> cool-looking but poorly designed, prematurely released hunk of junk?

I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.  Aside
from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

  Joel

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by David Frenc » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:53:08


Quote:

> I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
> problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.  Aside
> from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live with
the faults.

I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Robert M Kosti » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:07:12


I'm a Casio x-loyalist with an E-115, ready to drop the "brick" and go over
to the light side (Ipaq?).  So, for clarification, whether or not you "love"
your 3870, now that you have one, perhaps the question should be: Do you
LUST after something else?  E.g. Casio E-200?  Or maybe you wish you saved
the US$50 and got the 3850?


Quote:

> > I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
> > problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.
Aside
> > from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

> Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
> glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live with
> the faults.

> I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
> electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
> woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

> David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by paulus460 » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:00:21


I just had the fortune of getting my Ipaq with T68 from my work
and just like  people already mentioned is that it bloks when you shut
the bluetooth connection down before closing the wap or internet
browser. but other then that I'm very pleased with it. especially
because you don't need to type in all your contacts from your
cellphone to the Ipaq you just transfer them by bluetooth or IR.

so you could say I'm very pleased with it.

Paul

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:21:48 GMT, "Robert M Kostin"


>I was all but decided to spring for a 3870 'til I read some posts in this
>newsgroups about the terrible problems with lockups and over-rated
>bluetooth.  Keeping in mind that the unfortunate folks MAY BE a minority...

>QUESTION: does anyone have a 3870, AND is using the bluetooth features AND
>still thinks it's a great PPC with little or no probs?  Or is it really a
>cool-looking but poorly designed, prematurely released hunk of junk?

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by David Frenc » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:04:01


Not at all - I am not even considering shifting platforms, and I'm certainly
glad I bought the 3870 over a 3850.  Not so sure if others would agree with
me (elsewhere in this NG) but the 3870 is going to be with me for a while,
at least probably until the Lithium Polymer battery gives up the ghost in
about 2 years' time...

David



> I'm a Casio x-loyalist with an E-115, ready to drop the "brick" and go
over
> to the light side (Ipaq?).  So, for clarification, whether or not you
"love"
> your 3870, now that you have one, perhaps the question should be: Do you
> LUST after something else?  E.g. Casio E-200?  Or maybe you wish you saved
> the US$50 and got the 3850?



> > > I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
> > > problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.
> Aside
> > > from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

> > Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
> > glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live
with
> > the faults.

> > I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
> > electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
> > woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

> > David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Robert M Kosti » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 05:45:29


Phones..., hmmm.  That brings up a good point: Since it looks like I WILL be
joining the 3870 crowd, I'll probably get a new phone at the same time.

Question: what phone do you have that works well with BT?  And/or, which
phone do you WISH you bought?


> I just had the fortune of getting my Ipaq with T68 from my work
> and just like  people already mentioned is that it bloks when you shut
> the bluetooth connection down before closing the wap or internet
> browser. but other then that I'm very pleased with it. especially
> because you don't need to type in all your contacts from your
> cellphone to the Ipaq you just transfer them by bluetooth or IR.

> so you could say I'm very pleased with it.

> Paul

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:21:48 GMT, "Robert M Kostin"

> >I was all but decided to spring for a 3870 'til I read some posts in this
> >newsgroups about the terrible problems with lockups and over-rated
> >bluetooth.  Keeping in mind that the unfortunate folks MAY BE a
minority...

> >QUESTION: does anyone have a 3870, AND is using the bluetooth features
AND
> >still thinks it's a great PPC with little or no probs?  Or is it really a
> >cool-looking but poorly designed, prematurely released hunk of junk?

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by David Frenc » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:14:20




Quote:> Phones..., hmmm.  That brings up a good point: Since it looks like I WILL
be
> joining the 3870 crowd, I'll probably get a new phone at the same time.

> Question: what phone do you have that works well with BT?  And/or, which
> phone do you WISH you bought?

Can't beat the Ericsson T68.  Not only does the Bluetooth work great but
it's also got GPRS and HSCSD support - which means I can get 115Kbps
connections on my laptop or PDA whilst mobile, and I'm even billed per MB
instead of per second.

Not to mention the * colour screen & great battery life, and it's tiny to
boot.

Some favour the T39 but the T68 does all that but with more style...  If
you've used an Ericsson before & not liked the user interface, forget it,
Ericsson are at least on a par with Nokia nowadays, and unlike Nokia the
phones actually work.

David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Danny Adkin » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:48:02


My response is pretty much like David's, I'm glad I got the 3870.  Is it
perfect?  No, it's not perfect:
    - I lost power Saturday and my RAM reset itself.  A backup battery to
prevent that would be great!
    - USB connection is a little unreliable.  Occasionally my laptop won't
recognize the iPaq when I connect to the synch cable/cradle, but a soft
reset fixes it
    - It turns itself on sometimes and doesn't go off
    - The backlight settings don't seem to work right, annoying but not
serious
    - Bluetooth stack problem/soft reset problem occurs
    - Difficulties with Dashboard (until it was fixed)
    - The "dongle" on the power supply cord keeps on falling off.  I almost
it in Kansa last week!

Sounds like a lot of problems, but they are mostly annoyances.  I previously
had a Palm IIIx and then a IIIc and came to rely on them, but I wouldn't go
back.  What I like:
    - Tight integration with Outlook
    - Screen quality/brightness (could be bigger, but then I'd have a bigger
box)
    - Multiple input options
    - Windows like look and feel
    - Lots of memory space; but of course I'd like to have more
    - Themes!

Things I wish were better:
    - More wireless networks to connect with (This isn't the iPaq's problem,
but I haven't found a Bluetooth network to connect with yet and I'm not sure
if I want to spend the money for wireless cards for both the iPaq and
laptop)
    - Battery power (I'd like to charge about once a week!)/backup battery
to prevent catastrophic memory loss
    - Speech recognition (the program that comes with the H3800s is neat for
showing off, but it's not really useful)
    - Cheaper/more capacity SD or MMC memory (I'd love to put away the CF
sleeve)
    - More software
    - Faster synching/transfer of data

Anyway, my two cents worth!

Sincerely,

Danny


Quote:

> > I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
> > problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.
Aside
> > from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

> Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
> glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live with
> the faults.

> I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
> electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
> woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

> David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by paulus460 » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:09:19


Danny

for themes go to http://www.pocketthemes.com/

her you will find lots of themes
regards Paul



>My response is pretty much like David's, I'm glad I got the 3870.  Is it
>perfect?  No, it's not perfect:
>    - I lost power Saturday and my RAM reset itself.  A backup battery to
>prevent that would be great!
>    - USB connection is a little unreliable.  Occasionally my laptop won't
>recognize the iPaq when I connect to the synch cable/cradle, but a soft
>reset fixes it
>    - It turns itself on sometimes and doesn't go off
>    - The backlight settings don't seem to work right, annoying but not
>serious
>    - Bluetooth stack problem/soft reset problem occurs
>    - Difficulties with Dashboard (until it was fixed)
>    - The "dongle" on the power supply cord keeps on falling off.  I almost
>it in Kansa last week!

>Sounds like a lot of problems, but they are mostly annoyances.  I previously
>had a Palm IIIx and then a IIIc and came to rely on them, but I wouldn't go
>back.  What I like:
>    - Tight integration with Outlook
>    - Screen quality/brightness (could be bigger, but then I'd have a bigger
>box)
>    - Multiple input options
>    - Windows like look and feel
>    - Lots of memory space; but of course I'd like to have more
>    - Themes!

>Things I wish were better:
>    - More wireless networks to connect with (This isn't the iPaq's problem,
>but I haven't found a Bluetooth network to connect with yet and I'm not sure
>if I want to spend the money for wireless cards for both the iPaq and
>laptop)
>    - Battery power (I'd like to charge about once a week!)/backup battery
>to prevent catastrophic memory loss
>    - Speech recognition (the program that comes with the H3800s is neat for
>showing off, but it's not really useful)
>    - Cheaper/more capacity SD or MMC memory (I'd love to put away the CF
>sleeve)
>    - More software
>    - Faster synching/transfer of data

>Anyway, my two cents worth!

>Sincerely,

>Danny



>> > I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
>> > problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.
>Aside
>> > from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

>> Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
>> glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live with
>> the faults.

>> I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
>> electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
>> woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

>> David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Tom » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:11:37


Or to :

www.jumpingcholla.com

Lot's of themes for PocketPC 2002 !

TOM


> My response is pretty much like David's, I'm glad I got the 3870.  Is it
> perfect?  No, it's not perfect:
>     - I lost power Saturday and my RAM reset itself.  A backup battery to
> prevent that would be great!
>     - USB connection is a little unreliable.  Occasionally my laptop won't
> recognize the iPaq when I connect to the synch cable/cradle, but a soft
> reset fixes it
>     - It turns itself on sometimes and doesn't go off
>     - The backlight settings don't seem to work right, annoying but not
> serious
>     - Bluetooth stack problem/soft reset problem occurs
>     - Difficulties with Dashboard (until it was fixed)
>     - The "dongle" on the power supply cord keeps on falling off.  I
almost
> it in Kansa last week!

> Sounds like a lot of problems, but they are mostly annoyances.  I
previously
> had a Palm IIIx and then a IIIc and came to rely on them, but I wouldn't
go
> back.  What I like:
>     - Tight integration with Outlook
>     - Screen quality/brightness (could be bigger, but then I'd have a
bigger
> box)
>     - Multiple input options
>     - Windows like look and feel
>     - Lots of memory space; but of course I'd like to have more
>     - Themes!

> Things I wish were better:
>     - More wireless networks to connect with (This isn't the iPaq's
problem,
> but I haven't found a Bluetooth network to connect with yet and I'm not
sure
> if I want to spend the money for wireless cards for both the iPaq and
> laptop)
>     - Battery power (I'd like to charge about once a week!)/backup battery
> to prevent catastrophic memory loss
>     - Speech recognition (the program that comes with the H3800s is neat
for
> showing off, but it's not really useful)
>     - Cheaper/more capacity SD or MMC memory (I'd love to put away the CF
> sleeve)
>     - More software
>     - Faster synching/transfer of data

> Anyway, my two cents worth!

> Sincerely,

> Danny



> > > I wouldn't say I "LOVE" my 3870.  Yes, I do have the Bluetooth stack
> > > problems.  BUT, I find that it is very much what I wanted it to be.
> Aside
> > > from the soft reset/bluetooth stack issue, I have had zero problems.

> > Exactly right.  It's glitchy.  NOBODY finds it works perfectly with no
> > glitches.  But it still achieves what it sets out to do.  I can live
with
> > the faults.

> > I don't love it in that sort of way (you've got to remember it's an
> > electronic appliance at the end of the day - no substitute for a good
> > woman), but I would be quite seriously cheesed off if I lost it.

> > David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by paulus460 » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:25:10


David
small question how long can the T68 last before you have to recharge?
mine last 2 days on active calling or does your battery last longer?
thanks for the feedback
Paul

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:14:20 -0000, "David French"




>> Phones..., hmmm.  That brings up a good point: Since it looks like I WILL
>be
>> joining the 3870 crowd, I'll probably get a new phone at the same time.

>> Question: what phone do you have that works well with BT?  And/or, which
>> phone do you WISH you bought?

>Can't beat the Ericsson T68.  Not only does the Bluetooth work great but
>it's also got GPRS and HSCSD support - which means I can get 115Kbps
>connections on my laptop or PDA whilst mobile, and I'm even billed per MB
>instead of per second.

>Not to mention the * colour screen & great battery life, and it's tiny to
>boot.

>Some favour the T39 but the T68 does all that but with more style...  If
>you've used an Ericsson before & not liked the user interface, forget it,
>Ericsson are at least on a par with Nokia nowadays, and unlike Nokia the
>phones actually work.

>David

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Trevor » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:33:04




<Snip>

Quote:> Sounds like a lot of problems, but they are mostly annoyances.  

It _is_ a lot of problems :)

Quote:> I previously had a Palm IIIx and then a IIIc and came to rely on them,
> but I wouldn't go back.  What I like:
>     - Tight integration with Outlook - Screen quality/brightness
>     (could be bigger, but then I'd have a bigger
> box)
>     - Multiple input options - Windows like look and feel - Lots of
>     memory space; but of course I'd like to have more - Themes!

Isn't this more a function of the OS and not the iPAQ itslef ? eg any
similar spec'd Pocket PC would be similar ? eg Jornada 568 or Tosh e570

Quote:> Things I wish were better:
>     - More wireless networks to connect with (This isn't the iPaq's

<snip>

Quote:>     - Battery power (I'd like to charge about once a week!)/backup
>     battery
> to prevent catastrophic memory loss

<snip>

Quote:>     - Cheaper/more capacity SD or MMC memory (I'd love to put away the
>     CF
> sleeve)

<snip>

These are some of the things that I considered as problems and why I
turned to the Jornada 568 as my potential purchase.  It has a small watch
battery for emergency battery back up, detachable batteries and a CF slot
not a SLOWWWWWWWWW MMC*SD slot :)  I would have liked a CF2 slot and
SD slot ah la the e570 but..it seems I can't have everything :)

Quote:>     - More software - Faster synching/transfer of data

> Anyway, my two cents worth!

Allways good to hear the opinions of owners :)  I am in the throws of
deciding but have moved to the Jornada 568 away from the iPAQ mostly for
the reasons you pointed out as "shortcomings".

Trevor S

 
 
 

Does anyone LOVE their Compaq Ipaq 3870?

Post by Scoob » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:18:54




Quote:>I was all but decided to spring for a 3870 'til I read some posts in this
>newsgroups about the terrible problems with lockups and over-rated
>bluetooth.  Keeping in mind that the unfortunate folks MAY BE a minority...

I've only had one critical lockup which required a hard reset and that was
when installing Dashboard from the CD that comes with it.  Having said
that, I've got extremely frequent Bluetooth stack problems which
necessitate multiple soft resets in a normal day of usage.  This problem
for all practical purposes wipes out the use of the 'Permanent PIM'
feature.

Quote:>QUESTION: does anyone have a 3870, AND is using the bluetooth features AND
>still thinks it's a great PPC with little or no probs?  Or is it really a
>cool-looking but poorly designed, prematurely released hunk of junk?

It's useful, certainly.  GPRS browsing works well and it's nice to leave
your phone in your bag when surfing.  On the downside, there aren't enough
sites that format their content for portrait VGA form factors and Pocket IE
leaves a bit to be desired in the amount of help it gives you with such
issues.  The BT stack problem is incredibly annoying, though - you really
have no idea when it might give out (though it doesn't seem to die
mid-session, which is a plus).  Problems are amplified when trying to USB
ActiveSync.  BT and ActiveSync seem to be mutually exclusive.

On balance, there's just enough useful usage inbetween problems to make it
useful in a pinch.  However, it does feel like a technology preview rather
than the finished article, and I'm amazed at Compaq's alleged attitude when
it comes to sorting out a fix for the problem.  If this is the typical
experience, I'll be looking at a different vendor (Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket
LOOX?) for the next-gen products.

Scooby

 
 
 

1. iPAQ 3870 bluetoth --> T68 GPRS anyone ?

Has anyone succesfully got their iPAQ working via the bluetooth radio to an
Ericsson T68 and connecting to the net via GPRS ?

I have the 3870, and should be receiving the T68 tomorrow. Am just about to
change my cellphone service provider to (most likely) Vodafone as my current
provider (T-Mobile) doesn't offer GPRS in the UK.

I'd be keen to avoid any potential pitfalls - so any advice is greatly
appreciated.

2. Spam through the messenger service on sbs2000 computer

3. Compaq IPAQ 3870 and Wireless Pack!!!

4. DOS program for managing multiple Unix consoles

5. problem with internet explorer in compaq ipaq 3870

6. XML Training Classes??

7. Compaq iPaq 3870 questions

8. Saving in *.pnt format??

9. Which to buy, Compaq iPAQ 3835, 3850 or 3870?

10. COMPAQ IPAQ 3870

11. Email on Compaq iPAQ 3870

12. FS: Compaq iPAQ 3870 w/ integrated Bluetooth!!