WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Donkey Agon » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:22:56

I have a Jornada 548 that was syncing just fine
via the Symbol card.  NOW when I start the sync
on the unit, Desktop AS starts, but it hangs after
the progress bar gets about 5% through, then finally
displays a "synchonization error" message.  I have
reset the unit several times, logged off and back
on the desktop, but the same thing still happens.

If I plug in the serial cable, it will sync just
fine, but I prefer doing it wirelessly for obvious
reasons.

Any advice on getting wifi syncs working again?

/da

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Vinc » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:42:12

I have a Casio E-200 and tried to use the Symbol CF card
with it. Most of the time it took a combinatio of pulling
the card out and soft resetting or leaving it in, going
to network card properties in order to have a dialog box
appear with a mesage like "these settings will be used on
the next use of card, remove and reinsert the card".

In the end I got tired of trying make the da** thing work
(should work regardless) and returned it and purchased
the same card from Socket. The Socket CF wireless card is
awesome and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 weeks.
And as flakey as the E-200's have been, this is an
eternity.

Vince

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a Jornada 548 that was syncing just fine
>via the Symbol card.  NOW when I start the sync
>on the unit, Desktop AS starts, but it hangs after
>the progress bar gets about 5% through, then finally
>displays a "synchonization error" message.  I have
>reset the unit several times, logged off and back
>on the desktop, but the same thing still happens.

>If I plug in the serial cable, it will sync just
>fine, but I prefer doing it wirelessly for obvious
>reasons.

>Any advice on getting wifi syncs working again?

>/da

>.

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Michael Gordo » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:36:31

Are you syncing files? It could be * on a specific one.

--
Michael Gordon - MVP

Quote:> I have a Jornada 548 that was syncing just fine
> via the Symbol card.  NOW when I start the sync
> on the unit, Desktop AS starts, but it hangs after
> the progress bar gets about 5% through, then finally
> displays a "synchonization error" message.  I have
> reset the unit several times, logged off and back
> on the desktop, but the same thing still happens.

> If I plug in the serial cable, it will sync just
> fine, but I prefer doing it wirelessly for obvious
> reasons.

> Any advice on getting wifi syncs working again?

> /da

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Donkey Agon » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 09:58:27

> > I have a Jornada 548 that was syncing just fine
> > via the Symbol card.  NOW when I start the sync
> > on the unit, Desktop AS starts, but it hangs after
> > the progress bar gets about 5% through, then finally
> > displays a "synchonization error" message.  I have
> > reset the unit several times, logged off and back
> > on the desktop, but the same thing still happens.

> > If I plug in the serial cable, it will sync just
> > fine, but I prefer doing it wirelessly for obvious
> > reasons.

> > Any advice on getting wifi syncs working again?
> Are you syncing files? It could be * on a
> specific one.

That *may* have been the problem.  I was deleting
and overwriting files in Pocket_PC My Documents
both on the desktop and on the unit and I think
it got confused.  Not sure what happened, but it
finally started working again.

/da

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Donkey Agon » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:06:33

> I have a Casio E-200 and tried to use the Symbol CF card
> with it. Most of the time it took a combinatio of pulling
> the card out and soft resetting or leaving it in, going
> to network card properties in order to have a dialog box
> appear with a mesage like "these settings will be used on
> the next use of card, remove and reinsert the card".

Yes, I've found out the same thing.  The way one scratches
one's nose and the phase of the moon seems to have something
to do with it too. ...

Quote:> In the end I got tired of trying make the da** thing work
> (should work regardless) and returned it and purchased
> the same card from Socket. The Socket CF wireless card is
> awesome and has worked flawlessly for the past 3 weeks.

So the Socket is a *different* card from the Symbol?
I have the Symbol, and most of the time it seems to
work OK, though I often have to do a soft reset after
inserting the card after it's been out for a while.
Sometimes I get that "where's the driver?" dialog
too -- I just soft reset several times.

Quote:> And as flakey as the E-200's have been, this is an
> eternity.

Hey, I'm convinced all these units -- every single
one of them -- are flakey.  Windows CE 3.0 devices
are kind of like using Windows 3.x with 386's back
in the early nineties -- constant reboots and all.

/da

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Andrew Davidso » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:56:18

Quote:> Hey, I'm convinced all these units -- every single
> one of them -- are flakey.  Windows CE 3.0 devices
> are kind of like using Windows 3.x with 386's back
> in the early nineties -- constant reboots and all.

I have the Compaq WL110. Received it, took it out of the box, plugged....
and played. I updated the drivers from the web, and it's worked faultlessly
ever since (2.5 months now). I use to access my network and (via router) the
Internet. No problems, no reboots, just great!!

IPAQ=3870
W-AP=Netgear ME102

-------------------
Andrew Davidson

WiFi ActiveSync

Post by Vincen » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:24:25

On the moon thing your right...I forgot about that 8)

The Symbol and Socket cards are the same. Whatever Socket
did with there drivers and their custom "tweaks" works.
Don't know what the heck Symbol's problem is. For a PDA
heavy company as they are, I would have thought they
would be the best bet for a properly functioning CF
Wireless card. That's the reason I bought theirs to begin
with...reputation. As I know now, that means about diddly
when it comes to the PDA market. They all need to step up
their QA before releasing product...Could you imagine if
your TV, refridgerator or car had these these basic "turn
off, turn on" type of problems? Talk about suing someone
into oblivion...Consumers expect and GET working product
from Appliance and Auto manufacturers...A VERY, VERY high
percentage of the time, if you plug in your brand new
refridgerator, it works or if you start up your new car
on dealers lot and when you get it in your driveway, it
works.

Sorry for the rant...Just don't like wasting my valuable
time being a beta tester...

Vince

1. WiFi Activesync Toubleshooting Help Needed

I ran through Chris DeHerrara's fantastic 802.11 Wireless LAN
Configuration and associated FAQ's and still cannot sync with my
desktop or use Pocket IE.  (Note: I cross posted this on his message
board and then discovered this forum).

Funny thing is, I CAN check my outlook IMAP email account!  I have
spent hours trying to figure this out on my own.  Any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

I will first summarize my current configuration and then comment
regarding all the troubleshooting steps that I took:

Linksys Wireless AP -> Linksys Router <- DESKTOP <- PPC
DHCP

PPC
- IPAQ 39xx running PC 2002
- Compaq 802.11b CF card with latest driver.
- Set to obtain IP automatically.  Set WINS to IP of my PC.  The card
see the AP and has an "excellent" connection.
- Connection Manager: All set to "Work"

DESKTOP
- Client for MS Networks Installed
- Have synced with PPC via USB several times before.
- Activesync option to allow Ethernet/network access checked

TROUBLESHOOTING

- I can ping the desktop IP and Gateway IP.
- A lookup of the desktop IP shows my desktop PC's host name.
- I can ping www.yahoo.com.
- I can check my IMAP4 email via outlook on my PPC.  When I do a
"Send/Receive", I see the activity lights blink on my 802.11b card
(the only time I see the activity lights).
- I can not access www.yahoo.com from Pocket IE (no response at all
when I enter URL
- I can not connect to the desktop using activesync

2. IADsUser :: SetPassword

3. WiFi ActiveSync guide?

4. Ultrix Connection and pmdf

5. How do I keep WiFi Activesync connected?

6. MOIRE problems - with VIEWSONIC...

7. WiFi ActiveSync not working, but ICS does

8. Floppy Drive for SPARC SLC/ELC?

9. Wifi sync with Activesync

10. Guest only with synchronisation by wifi or 802.11 - resolving an ActiveSync issue within WIndowsXP and PocketPC2002

11. IE/ActiveSync over WiFi stopped working

12. Activesync, WiFI, GPRS - unconfuse me!

13. WiFi AdHoc Mode & ActiveSync