Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Heather Gazdi » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

HI,

Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
wireless synchronization?
For example... employees want to start using checking their email calendars
and company website from the road.
What server should it run from...etc..

Thanks,
Heather Gazdik

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Rob Bore » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> HI,

> Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
> wireless synchronization?
> For example... employees want to start using checking their email calendars
> and company website from the road.
> What server should it run from...etc..

> Thanks,
> Heather Gazdik

Depends on how you want to go. You can:

1. Dial up to the company/Internet using a cell phone
2. Use CDPD to connect (only viable for the iPAQ with the PC Card
expansion sleeve and a CDPD card such as Sierra Wireless' Air Card, or
the Jornada and the soon-to-be-released Minstrel from Novatel).

Syncing isn't going to be much of an option using ActiveSync, as it can
only sync with one instance of Outlook. Exchange may be an option for e-
mail (using IMAP4), and Pocket IE is built-in to all Pocket PC units.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Rob Borek

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Heather Gazdi » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

thanks...this helps.
Are there any relevant newsgroups that I could suggest to out IS dept to
monitor???

heather

> > HI,

> > Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
> > wireless synchronization?
> > For example... employees want to start using checking their email
calendars
> > and company website from the road.
> > What server should it run from...etc..

> > Thanks,
> > Heather Gazdik

> Depends on how you want to go. You can:

> 1. Dial up to the company/Internet using a cell phone
> 2. Use CDPD to connect (only viable for the iPAQ with the PC Card
> expansion sleeve and a CDPD card such as Sierra Wireless' Air Card, or
> the Jornada and the soon-to-be-released Minstrel from Novatel).

> Syncing isn't going to be much of an option using ActiveSync, as it can
> only sync with one instance of Outlook. Exchange may be an option for e-
> mail (using IMAP4), and Pocket IE is built-in to all Pocket PC units.

> Anyone else have any suggestions?

> Rob Borek

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Rob Bore » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

This one :). It's hard to know exactly what it is they want to do from
your description (and I doubt anyone in this newsgroup could really give
an accurate answer within this newsgroup, without typing out an entire
essay).

Rob Borek

> thanks...this helps.
> Are there any relevant newsgroups that I could suggest to out IS dept to
> monitor???

> heather

> > > HI,

> > > Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
> > > wireless synchronization?
> > > For example... employees want to start using checking their email
> calendars
> > > and company website from the road.
> > > What server should it run from...etc..

> > > Thanks,
> > > Heather Gazdik

> > Depends on how you want to go. You can:

> > 1. Dial up to the company/Internet using a cell phone
> > 2. Use CDPD to connect (only viable for the iPAQ with the PC Card
> > expansion sleeve and a CDPD card such as Sierra Wireless' Air Card, or
> > the Jornada and the soon-to-be-released Minstrel from Novatel).

> > Syncing isn't going to be much of an option using ActiveSync, as it can
> > only sync with one instance of Outlook. Exchange may be an option for e-
> > mail (using IMAP4), and Pocket IE is built-in to all Pocket PC units.

> > Anyone else have any suggestions?

> > Rob Borek

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Pee We » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Depending on where "on the road" could be, you may want to start off with
wired modem dial-up or at least provide it as a backup.  There is no single
nationwide wireless access solution at this time.

Quote:

> HI,

> Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
> wireless synchronization?
> For example... employees want to start using checking their email
calendars
> and company website from the road.
> What server should it run from...etc..

> Thanks,
> Heather Gazdik

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by David Boreha » Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Syncing isn't going to be much of an option using ActiveSync, as it can
> only sync with one instance of Outlook. Exchange may be an option for e-
> mail (using IMAP4), and Pocket IE is built-in to all Pocket PC units.

> Anyone else have any suggestions?

Presumably Microsoft realized long ago that the current
active sync model is broken for 'net connected devices.
So I bet they're about to release a nice shiny new sync
mechanism which features the device connecting via TCP/IP
directly to a server on the 'net.
Or, if not...they'll have to acquire fusionone.com...

Need help with PDA resources for Information systems.

Post by Rob Bore » Sun, 01 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> HI,

> Where can my Information systems dept.  go to find information about
> wireless synchronization?
> For example... employees want to start using checking their email calendars
> and company website from the road.
> What server should it run from...etc..

> Thanks,
> Heather Gazdik

One other option... there is the XTNDConnect Server, which allows
syncing with multiple clients and multiple server types (Notes,
Exchange, etc.). You can find it at
http://www.extendsys.com/products/serversync/

Rob Borek

1. Help needed - Error message "Information Type Not Synchronized"

When trying to synch my PPC with Outlook I get the following error message:

Information Type Not Synchronized.
Items of one or more information types cannot be synchronized. Disconnect
and reconnect your device.
To view all error messages and dialog boxes that require your input, you
must connect this computer via infrared or serial/USB cable.

Calendar, Contacts and Tasks all have "Attention required" status after a
sync. Attempting to "Resolve items" bring up the aforementioned error
message.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards,
Richard.

2. Calling all NASM developers!

3. Information Resource for PPC

4. master key

5. i am a newbie, need help! (sh3 system)

6. ispell.zuuxx

7. WCESMGR eating system resources in Win2K

8. Auto Compacting

9. New Maestro PDA Install Problems ... Need help ...

10. LCD screen busted, PDA Dissasembeled, need help from here...

11. PDA Resources??

12. Card information system?