Missing memory on Toshiba E740....

Post by Marshall La » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:51:04

The machine is being marketed as having 64MB of RAM.  But I only see 58MB
from the machine.  Does anybody know when did the 8MB go?

Post by Kendrick Kerwin Ch » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:26:31

>The machine is being marketed as having 64MB of RAM.  But I only see 58MB
>from the machine.  Does anybody know when did the 8MB go?

You know, you've destroyed a perfectly good stereotype about Asian people
being good at math. :) I suppose you understand the rules of football and
can't play a violin either. :)

The RAM in a Pocket PC is used both for storage and for application
execution. Therefore, if you have ANY app or part of the UI running, there
will naturally be some memory allocated for that purpose. Pocket PC 2002
automatically splits the onboard RAM into sections for Programs and
sections for Storage with this in mind. So the 6 megs you've 'lost' is
likely because of this.

Storage cards increase your storage capacity, but not your application
execution space capacity. It makes sense; storage cards are supposed to be
file storage space, used like a hard drive might be used. The RAM inside a
Pocket PC is dual purpose, and therefore can't all be available for
storage.

Hope that's helpful. Someday we'll get together, make some noodles and
brag about our SAT scores. :)

-KKC, who knows no Kung Fu and speaks no Chinese, but cooks a pretty mean
pork fried rice. The secret is the deep-fried lettuce leaves. :)
--
--Pelutho (pel-OOTH-oh) noun.                                   | kendrick

  wall with a stout wooden bat until the prisoner confesses.    |
  --From /The Deeper Meaning of Liff/ by Adams and Lloyd.       |

Missing memory on Toshiba E740....

Post by Marshall La » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:57:06

Actually,  I was refering to the number that I got from the "Setting-About"
where it is should to show ALL combined memory in the machine and it clearly
shows 58.27MB instead of 63.32MB on my HP Journada.  Maybe I wasn't so bad
in math......

And I don't watch football.

Post by Kendrick Kerwin Ch » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:50:29

>> >The machine is being marketed as having 64MB of RAM.  But I only see 58MB
>> >from the machine.  Does anybody know when did the 8MB go?

>> You know, you've destroyed a perfectly good stereotype about Asian people
>> being good at math. :) I suppose you understand the rules of football and
>> can't play a violin either. :)

>Actually,  I was refering to the number that I got from the "Setting-About"
>where it is should to show ALL combined memory in the machine and it clearly
>shows 58.27MB instead of 63.32MB on my HP Journada.  Maybe I wasn't so bad
>in math......

Joking. :) Couldn't figure out how 64 - 58 = 8 except inside the halls of
Arthur Andersen consulting. :) But that throws me... Does the E-740
reserve any part of RAM for some arcane purpose then? It doesn't make
sense for the TOTAL number to be that much less than 64 unless you've got
some bad memory hardware. Or if Toshiba is cutting corners in
manufacturing... What do other e740 owners (both of you) see in the memory
settings? If it's different, it might be time for some warranty action.

Quote:>And I don't watch football.

Excellent. Wang Zhi Zhi is probably more interesting than Kylie Wong to
most Asian American TV viewers anyway. :)

-KKC, who wonders where Wong got traded to. Maybe the Cowboys picked him
up so he and Nguyen could be on the same team. :)
--
--Pelutho (pel-OOTH-oh) noun.                                   | kendrick

  wall with a stout wooden bat until the prisoner confesses.    |
  --From /The Deeper Meaning of Liff/ by Adams and Lloyd.       |

Missing memory on Toshiba E740....

Post by Chris DiPierr » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:04:21

For reference, our e740 says the same thing. Don't know why though.

Quote:> Actually,  I was refering to the number that I got from the
"Setting-About"
> where it is should to show ALL combined memory in the machine and it
clearly
> shows 58.27MB instead of 63.32MB on my HP Journada.  Maybe I wasn't so bad
> in math......

1. Embarassingly simple question: Use of SD Memory in Toshiba e740

I have a recently purchased e740 PDA, which I'm rather happy with.  I needed
a means for "backing up" the contents of the PDA, including Programs and
Data, so I purchased a 256 KB Scandisc SD card.

I popped it in, and it worked like a charm, at least for backing up the
data.  Everything took up about 9 MB of the memory.  I was hoping/expecting
I could use the remainder of the available storage for data/programs, etc.

If so, I haven't a clue as to how.  Any pointers/websites I could visit?

Thanks in advance,
Kenny

2. User-User Signaling in ISDN

3. Missing Memory

4. Catalog of compilers, interpreters, and other language tools [p1of1]

5. CF Card missing memory

6. Scheduled task on netword drive doesn't execute

7. CF Memory Missing

8. Unable to Launch FP Editor

9. Missing CF memory

10. newbie power question-toshiba e740

11. Toshiba E740 Serial Cable

12. Has my Toshiba e740 got wireless built-in?

13. Airline flight and the Toshiba E740