automountd -- hung on homedirctory

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>My local machine is a Pentium, and my home dir is
>from a Sun server.  Can I make multiple home dir,
>one automounted  from Sun, and the other on my PC.
>So when Sun is down, I can automounted my homedir
>from the PC?

Yes, you can.  Do a man on automount, and it will show you how
to make alternate entries into the automount table to provide
for backups mounts if the primary source is unavailable.

HOWEVER, this is meant for STABLE directory structures, such as
application directories, or vendor provided libraries, not things
which change on a minute by minute basis.

You are looking for major trouble by doing this with your home directory.
You can have no end of headaches if, for example, the Sun goes down,
and automount picks up the 'backup' home directory, and you happen not
to notice.  I won't go into all the possibilities--I'm sure you can imagine
a few.

I recommend this solution instead:

Move your home directory to your desktop Pentium machine, and have the
Sun automount it from your desktop.  Then, if the Sun goes down, your desktop
machine still has it.

--

Unix Systems Administrator
EDS/GM Powertrain

1. amd -- hung on homedirctory

Hi, I have a question about amd (the automount server).
If while I am working in my homedir automounted from
a remote host, that host is down, no matter what, my
machine will be hung, right?  How can I solve this
problem?

My local machine is a Pentium, and my home dir is
from a Sun server.  Can I make multiple home dir,
one automounted  from Sun, and the other on my PC.
So when Sun is down, I can automounted my homedir
from the PC?

Thanks,
Jian

2. Changing Terminal Font

3. Automountd hangs during mount syscall, minutes on end

4. TTY VMIN and VTIME

5. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

6. Question re kernel modules

7. Automountd and interrupts

8. Possible IPCHAINS problem - Can't FTP from firewall

9. automountd silently disappearing

10. automountd does not browse directory

11. automountd and auto_direct

12. Q: Setting off automount, automountd, autofs

13. Automountd stat messages in daemon.debug