What is a good introduction to computer science?

What is a good introduction to computer science?

Post by Paul Truste » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am 45 years old, have been a pharmacist for 20 years, am dissatisfied
with that profession, and would like to make a change, perhaps a clean
break with healthcare. I enjoy mathematics and science, and am probably
a better student today than I was 20 years ago. Over the past six years,
my personal computers have become more than just a hobby. Currently, I
find myself leaving the the TV off(!) so I can read as much as I can
about Unix and practice what I have learned, and I taught myself much
about writing web pages (using HTML, not using cheats) in a couple of
days. I seem to be riding an irresistible wave of enthusiasm, which is a
lot more than I can say for the effects my previous studies had upon me.
In fact, I am reminded of the scene in that movie, "The Net", in which
Sandra Bullock is working on her computer, and her man friend asks, "Is
that business or pleasure?". She responds, "Is there a difference?". I
feel the same way about learning and computers.

I am seeking to find out if computer science, or information systems,
are real options for me or just  "|" dreams.

 Is there a particular course, support group, user group, or other
entity any of you might suggest which will enable me to identify a goal
for myself?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

         Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
         24 Upland Road Leeds MA 01053-9725 USA

         http://www.javanet.com/~trusten

"There are two cardinal sins, from which all the others spring:
 impatience and laziness."

       ---Franz Kafka

Post by Doug Barne » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I am 45 years old, have been a pharmacist for 20 years, am dissatisfied
> with that profession, and would like to make a change, perhaps a clean
> break with healthcare. I enjoy mathematics and science, and am probably
> a better student today than I was 20 years ago. Over the past six years,
> my personal computers have become more than just a hobby. Currently, I
> find myself leaving the the TV off(!) so I can read as much as I can
> about Unix and practice what I have learned, and I taught myself much
> about writing web pages (using HTML, not using cheats) in a couple of
> days. I seem to be riding an irresistible wave of enthusiasm, which is a
> lot more than I can say for the effects my previous studies had upon me.
> In fact, I am reminded of the scene in that movie, "The Net", in which
> Sandra Bullock is working on her computer, and her man friend asks, "Is
> that business or pleasure?". She responds, "Is there a difference?". I
> feel the same way about learning and computers.

> I am seeking to find out if computer science, or information systems,
> are real options for me or just  "|" dreams.

>  Is there a particular course, support group, user group, or other
> entity any of you might suggest which will enable me to identify a goal
> for myself?

> Thank you for your kind assistance.
> --

> --

>          Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
>          24 Upland Road Leeds MA 01053-9725 USA

>          http://www.javanet.com/~trusten

> "There are two cardinal sins, from which all the others spring:
>  impatience and laziness."

>        ---Franz Kafka

Well, I would take my old profession and my newly desired profession and
put them together.  There are ALOT of computers in the Health car
industry.  You may have to begin at a very junior level but I think that
it could take you places in MIS for some health care outfit.  MIS,
though is no Panacea either-alot of meetings, planning, politics, old
hardware/software to contend with, and anyone of a million other things
that pop up.  Staying on top of you career is also a full time job,
trying to stay current is tough.

GOOD LUCK!