What do you use a modem for on your Unix system?

What do you use a modem for on your Unix system?

Post by John LaCo » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 11:48:38

I'm teaching a Unix and modems class to some of the junior tech support folks
here at U.S. Robotics.  I'd like to get some real world feedback on how
you use a modem on a Unix-type system from some of you net citizens.

If you would, please send me a copy of /etc/ttys, /etc/remote, /etc/inittab,
/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers, /etc/gettydefs, or whatever you think would be
appropriate.

Also, let me know what you do with the modem(s)* out on your serial
ports.  Anyone use cu, tip, kermit, ppp, slip, uucp, or ct on a daily basis?
How do you have your modem and system configured and why?  Why are port
monitors cooler than gettys?  (are they?)

Load Linux on your HP100LX and SLIP into the Internet with your cell phone
while biking cross country?

Thanks in advance... and if we use your story in the classroom, we'll send you
a handsome USR T-shirt.  :-)

Please reply via email.

Regards,
John
--
John LaCour                                Technical Support

1. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

I have installed linux on my 486, I don't have any knowledge on copying
files from a linux system to a dos floppy. Actually I want to copy a few
man's from the system on a dos formatted floppy and print the mans on a
win95 system in my office for later reading.

for further knowledge:-
I can mount a floppy
I can format a floppy for linux file system
I can direct the output of man <command> to a floppy in a file called
<filename>
I can check the copied text files on floppy using more <filename>

I cannot make the floppy readable on a doz or windoz based system.

Please Help !!

Thanks in advance!

Tualha Khan

2. Deskjet 500 and ghostscript?

3. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS

4. Adaptec AVA 1505 & Tape Drive?

5. Communications - Unix to Unix vs Unix to DOS

6. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.admin

7. Using a DOS PC as a print server for a Linux system

8. LINUX MODE LINES

9. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

10. Using RCS under DOS file system

11. Using Transport XKE internal M1200 modem with Linux--Can it be done???

12. using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

13. Using Sun CD-ROM drives on PC/PC-clone systems... can it be done?