UNIX to UNIX modem connection

Post by Robert H. Bradsh » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

I have a need to periodically transfer large files (over 1 Meg) between
2 Unix systems connected via modems. I would like to automate this
procedure as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on
the best/easiest way to do this. I am specifically looking for what
application software to use to transfer the files. My criteria is
easy to automate (possibly via cron and ksh) and use standard utilities
or tools.

Here is my initial list of possibilities:

UUCP
kermit
rz/sz
cslip and ftp

---
| Bob Bradshaw          | Motorola Messaging, Information, and Media Sector    |

| Phone: (847) 435-0034 | 1501 W. Shure Drive   IL27/Bldg 3436                 |
| Fax:   (847) 435-0028 | Arlington Heights, IL 60004                          |

Post by Doug Barne » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

> I have a need to periodically transfer large files (over 1 Meg) between
> 2 Unix systems connected via modems. I would like to automate this
> procedure as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on
> the best/easiest way to do this. I am specifically looking for what
> application software to use to transfer the files. My criteria is
> easy to automate (possibly via cron and ksh) and use standard utilities
> or tools.

> Here is my initial list of possibilities:

> UUCP
> kermit
> rz/sz
> cslip and ftp

> ---
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Bob Bradshaw          | Motorola Messaging, Information, and Media Sector    |

> | Phone: (847) 435-0034 | 1501 W. Shure Drive   IL27/Bldg 3436                 |
> | Fax:   (847) 435-0028 | Arlington Heights, IL 60004                          |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Set up UUCP and do your transfers from a cron job.  You get a log of the
job and retransmission till it goes all built in for FREE!!  Works
fine-lasts a long time (8^O

UNIX to UNIX modem connection

Post by Jonathan Ch » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Here is my initial list of possibilities:

>UUCP

This has got to be simplest to set up and automate.

UNIX to UNIX modem connection

Post by J. Wakeley Purp » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > I have a need to periodically transfer large files (over 1 Meg) between
: > Here is my initial list of possibilities:
: >
: > UUCP
: > kermit
: > rz/sz
: > cslip and ftp
: Set up UUCP and do your transfers from a cron job.  You get a log of the
: job and retransmission till it goes all built in for FREE!!  Works
: fine-lasts a long time (8^O

I'd recommend kermit. I've set up both kermit and uucp. For my money
kermit is easier to learn, MUCH more flexible (available for MSDOS, MVS, etc.)
has a full scripting language for automation, logging or whatever,
does RLE compression by default for very fast transfers of plain text,
is much more efficient than UUCP in packet overhead, etc., etc.
It is actively supported by Columbia U. where UUCP is a somewhat deprecated
protocol with known security problems.

check out comp.protocols.kermit.

--

UNIX to UNIX modem connection

Post by Leslie Mikese » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a need to periodically transfer large files (over 1 Meg) between
>2 Unix systems connected via modems. I would like to automate this
>procedure as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on
>the best/easiest way to do this. I am specifically looking for what
>application software to use to transfer the files. My criteria is
>easy to automate (possibly via cron and ksh) and use standard utilities
>or tools.

>Here is my initial list of possibilities:

>UUCP
>kermit
>rz/sz
>cslip and ftp

UUCP is the obvious choice if you can configure both ends of the connection
(or the other end will cooperate with you) and if you set up email to
run over uucp between the systems you can get error notifications, etc
via email.  Scheduling, retries, etc. are all built-in, so all you
need is a cron job with a single command to queue up the transfer.

If you can't get the remote side set up for your uucp login but the
machine already has dial-up capability and you have your own login
you can use kermit at your end (if the kermit program is available
at the other end).  You can write a script for kermit to log in as
you and transfer a file, but you have to handle error condititions and
retries yourself.  Recent kermit versions can do file transfers about
as well as zmodem so I wouldn't bother with rz/sz unless that is all
that is available at the other end (you'll still have to use a kermit
script to dial up and log in).  However you need some non-default settings
to get optimum transfer speeds.

Cslip (or ppp if available) may be more trouble to set up, but it has the
advantage of not requiring you to make a direct call to the machine with
the files.  That is, if either machine is on the internet you can call
some other access point and have your packets routed to the destination
host.  Or if neither is on the internet you could do the same from other
machines on a local network.  You probably would want ncftp or lynx
as command-line transfer programs instead of the stock ftp program.
The other advantage of slip/ppp is that you can run multiple sessions,
so if you need interactive access you could have several windows
connected at once, or simultaneously use POP/SMTP email.

Les Mikesell

1. UNIX-UNIX connection

Connection of machines is like this:

          ------- ---                                                     ---------------
         |    machineA  |             --                                   |   machineB               |
         |    solaris 2.3  |-----|     |-------   ------|        Solaris 2.4         |
         |                        |             --                                   |                                    |
         |                        |             NULL MODEM                |                                    |
          -------- --                                                     -------- -------

 Is there any web location that explains the steps involved and commands that I can use?.

Thanks,
raju

2. Apache Traffic Limit

3. Unix to Unix connection help

4. Linux RedHat 3.03 Problems

5. Modem connection to UNIX

6. Apache starts but I cannot reach it over my internal networkisn't

7. Modem connections through UNIX executable

8. How to compile a Linux kernel....

9. modem connection between ultrix(MIPS) and UNIX(sunsparc2)

10. modem connection between ultrix(MIPS) and unix(SUN sparc2)

11. laptop--unix host modem connection frequently breaks..Why ?

12. connection from win 95 PC to UNIX Workstation via Modem

13. comp.unix.questions comp.unix.misc comp.unix.sys5.r3