UNIX Network Monitoring Tool for A Big Network

UNIX Network Monitoring Tool for A Big Network

Post by pr.. » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

We have a large network which is undergoing a great amount of change.
When a user calls we want to be able to tell if there is a network
performance problem or an actual application problem.

I want some UNIX application which will sit in diverse areas of the country
and enter some type of test transaction, after completing the transaction
report the outcome to a central system for data aggregation.

What I'm trying to discern is when I'm having a problem with my "X" based
application's performance or a common garden variety network slowdown.

1. Big Brother ((A Web-based Unix Network Monitoring and Notification System)

Hi Fellow SysAdmins,

A while back I saw an article on 'Big Brother' (A Web-based Unix
Network Monitoring and Notification System) and was wandering if
any of you know if there's a FAQ or a Usenet group
dealing with it?

I downloaded the BB software, compiled and installed it, but as I
get error messages that I can only guess at their meaning (and even
less- try to guess remedies) I'd like to get some support (in
material or human shape :-)

Specifically, when I try to run BB, I get:

Starting Big Brother Collectors...
bb: CONNECTION TIMED OUT...bb: CONNECTION TIMED OUT...bb: CONNECTION
TIMED OUT...bb: CONNECTION TIMED OUT...

So, could any of you please point me to the FAQ or Usenet group ?

Thanks,
Ron.

--
Ron Barak      | Moradot HaCarmel 7B Ind. Park
               | P.O. Box 244 Yokneam 20692 Israel
System Manager | Tel: +972-4-9599555
Vsoft Ltd      | Fax: +972-4-9590717

2. the FSF Distribution Office has moved!

3. UPDATE: Big Brother Unix Network Monitor v 1.03

4. Disk Config questions for Slackware 3.4

5. S/W UPDATE: Big Brother System & Network Monitor v 1.06

6. Good Linux Reference Book ??

7. Which network monitor (Netsaint, OpenNMS, Big Sister, etc.)???

8. Urgent : WTMP structure

9. Big Brother System & Network Monitor v.1.06b released

10. Big Brother Systems & Network Monitor update

11. Which network monitor (Netsaint, OpenNMS, Big Sister, etc.)???

12. BBNT: a client for Big Brother System & Network Monitor

13. Big Brother Systems & Network Monitor update