Limit on number of users in a group in /etc/group

Limit on number of users in a group in /etc/group

Post by Kaizer Sogiawal » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and running into the following problem.

I have a group (let's call it 'thegroup') defined in the /etc/group file
that has 525 users in them. The size of this line is 4114 characters.
Most of the users have 'thegroup' as their secondary group. When they
run the groups command, the output does not show 'thegroup' in it. This
has been causing us some problems and I was wondering if anybody had
come across such limit.

I was looking up some details on whether I can include groups in a group
specification, like-

a_group: tom,*, harry
b_group: mini,jill,terri
thegroup: a_group,b_group

There is one place where the on-line help clearly states that this is
possible. This is in admintool, create new group and selecting the help
from there. The man page on 'group' does not say that. NIS is not an
option to us on this machine.

Thanks in advance!

--
Kaizer Sogiawala

Limit on number of users in a group in /etc/group

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a group (let's call it 'thegroup') defined in the /etc/group file
>that has 525 users in them. The size of this line is 4114 characters.
>Most of the users have 'thegroup' as their secondary group. When they
>run the groups command, the output does not show 'thegroup' in it. This
>has been causing us some problems and I was wondering if anybody had
>come across such limit.

I believe there's a limit on the size of a line in /etc/group, probably 512
or 1024 characters.

The solution is to have multiple entries with the same groupid:

thegrp1::123:tom,dick,harry
thegrp2::123:mini,jill,terri

Quote:>I was looking up some details on whether I can include groups in a group
>specification, like-

No.

Quote:>There is one place where the on-line help clearly states that this is
>possible. This is in admintool, create new group and selecting the help
>from there. The man page on 'group' does not say that. NIS is not an
>option to us on this machine.

Are you sure the place that said it was possible wasn't talking about
netgroups?  Those do allow recursion.

Limit on number of users in a group in /etc/group

Post by Alexey Saryiche » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and running into the following problem.

>I have a group (let's call it 'thegroup') defined in the /etc/group file
>that has 525 users in them. The size of this line is 4114 characters.
>Most of the users have 'thegroup' as their secondary group. When they
>run the groups command, the output does not show 'thegroup' in it. This
>has been causing us some problems and I was wondering if anybody had
>come across such limit.

I didn't encounter any mentioning about limitations on number of
users in group (but I didn't have such big groups.) Try command
grpck and see what it say.

Quote:

>I was looking up some details on whether I can include groups in a group
>specification, like-

>a_group: tom,*, harry
>b_group: mini,jill,terri
>thegroup: a_group,b_group

>There is one place where the on-line help clearly states that this is
>possible. This is in admintool, create new group and selecting the help
>from there. The man page on 'group' does not say that. NIS is not an
>option to us on this machine.

No, it isn't possible.

Regards, Alexey Sarytchev,
UNIX system administrator,
Center of Financial Technologies, Inc.

Limit on number of users in a group in /etc/group

Post by Eric Ro » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

An alternative that works on DGUX may be worth trying:  split group
"thegroup" into multiple complete lines:

thegroup::101:fred,barney
thegroup::101:wilma,bambam

>>Hi,

>>I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and running into the following problem.

>>I have a group (let's call it 'thegroup') defined in the /etc/group file
>>that has 525 users in them. The size of this line is 4114 characters.
>>Most of the users have 'thegroup' as their secondary group. When they
>>run the groups command, the output does not show 'thegroup' in it. This
>>has been causing us some problems and I was wondering if anybody had
>>come across such limit.

<snip>
Eric Ross                               Colorado College

(719) 389-6452                          Colorado Springs, Colorado  80903
       --- Delete nospam from my return address before replying ---

1. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

Is there a way to do something like the following:

/etc/group
----------------
staff:*:10:
student:*:20:
staff+student:*:staff,student
guest:*:40:

That is, I'd like to be able to create a file
owned by "staff+student".  Then users in the "staff"
group or in the "student" group could access the
file.  But users in "guest" could not access the file.

Jeff Rodriguez

2. "Becoming" parent process

3. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

4. Where to get the latest XFree86 RPMs?

5. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

6. savecore?

7. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

8. Integration UNIX with NetWare

9. necessary groups in /etc/group, and necessary users in /usr/passwd

10. /etc/group size or user limit?

11. Number of groups a user can belong to limited to 32.

12. LOCAL (TX): Announcing Linux Users Group in Midland/Odessa Texas (Permian Basin Linux Users Group)

13. redefining group id's in /etc/group ???