Why didn't netbackup backup MS-Exchange Server files?

Why didn't netbackup backup MS-Exchange Server files?

Post by g.. » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I have a question of using Netbackup to backup MS-Exchange Server files.

We have Veritas Netbackup for Unix Server(v3.1.1) installed on our
Digital Alpha Unix server (called "nbusrv1"). We also have Microsoft
Exchange Server (v5.5) installed on our NT server (called "mail1"). I
have created a class (classname = "mail1") to backup all directories on
NT server "mail1". The class type of class "mail" is "MS-WINDOW-NT".

Today we want to restore some very important e-mails from our backup
tape. But while looking through backup files, I can not find the files
"Priv.edb" and "Pub.edb" which stores the actual e-mails. I can only
find a bunch of log files ( "edb0018DF.log", "res1.log" etc.) in
directory "/D/exchsrvr/MDBDATA/" from either "full backup" or
"incremental backup".

When I looked
So my questions is:

1. Does "Netbackup" backup all the files (including files belong to
MS-Exchnage Server) if I tell it to do so?
2. If the answer is Yes, what could I did wrong so the exchange files
are missing from our backup tapes?
3. What should I do in oder to backup MS-Exchnage files?

Thanks for your help.

Guang Mei

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. ssh-1.2.17 sshd problem w/Solaris 2.3

3. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

4. HP Deskjet 520...busy???

5. MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

6. Can not log in while dail-up connection is active ??? Please Help

7. missing /usr/libexec files - why didn't they install?

8. Panasonic DVD-RAM Drive LF-D100J

9. BRU2000/Backup of MS Exchange??

10. MS Exchange Backup/BRU2000

11. Backup|archive|sync of ms exchange (imap) 2 linux

12. Veritas Netbackup vs Syncsort's Backup Express

13. help needed-- Veritas Netbackup question: how to backup NT client's network drive?