Extending root file system

Post by David S. Trus » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Well, I've added an external drive for a C110 and moved /home to it via
:

# umount /home
# mkdir /home2
# mount /dev/vg00/lvol3 /home2
ran SAM and created 'vg01' mounted to /home
copied /home2 contents to /home
# umount /home2
# reboot

Things look good, and I commented out the /home2 reference in
/etc/fstab, now I want to recover the space on /dev/vg00 that was used
originally by /home.

Can't use umount->lvextend->extendfs->mount since the root drive is
"always active"

Ideas, please !!!

-

-

Extending root file system

Post by Mike Wat » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Having a little problem following exactly what you did.  Might help to
have a bdf -t hfs output to see how the logical volumes were to start
with.

Have you checked out the man page for lvremove?  If the /home directory
was originally mounted as a separate, distinct, logical volume you can
make that space available by removing that logical volume.

If your trying to add the space to the / logical volume, I'm afraid it
can't be done.  The / logical volume is not extendable.

-Mike-

> Well, I've added an external drive for a C110 and moved /home to it via
> :

> # umount /home
> # mkdir /home2
> # mount /dev/vg00/lvol3 /home2
> ran SAM and created 'vg01' mounted to /home
> copied /home2 contents to /home
> # umount /home2
> # reboot

> Things look good, and I commented out the /home2 reference in
> /etc/fstab, now I want to recover the space on /dev/vg00 that was used
> originally by /home.

> Can't use umount->lvextend->extendfs->mount since the root drive is
> "always active"

> Ideas, please !!!

> -

> -

Extending root file system

Post by Toby Cree » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Can't use umount->lvextend->extendfs->mount since the root drive is
> "always active"

> Ideas, please !!!

HP will tell you that extending the root filesystem is impossible for
just that reason.

Toby
--
Toby Creek - UNIX System Administrator
Alcatel Telecom, 2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC

1. help extending the root file system

I just installed Solaris 2.6 and would like to install the AdminSuite.
I accepted the default file system sizing for the installation, and now
it's telling me that I don't have enough room in /opt to install
AdminSuite.  Well, I'm having difficulty extending the filesystem
without it, but I can't install it without more room!  Arrgghh...
What does one have to do to extend an existing filesystem in Solaris
without the tool?  Is there something I'm missing here?  I have
experience with HP and IBM sys admin functions and I am struggling a
little here with Solaris.

Thanks,
Susan

2. : XFree 3.3.6 and SiS630s

3. BUG in ext2 file-system (2.0.33 kernel): tried to extend a file using lseek

4. Help with find command, please? :-)

5. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

6. Linux and Innd

7. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

8. removeing specified timezone

9. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

10. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root floppies.

11. root file system above >1024 limit with System Commander?

12. file system set up - large extended partition

13. CFP - Extended Deadline (12 June) - Workshop on Scalable File Systems and Storage Technologies