Running UUCP through a proxy server

Post by hoffma » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've got a Sun machine running SunOS 4.1.3, as well as
a proxy server (currently running on a Linux box, but
may be changed to a NT machine, although that shouldn't
matter for this question). I've downloaded and installed
a "socksified" version of telnet, and can now telnet
directly (well, through the proxy server) from the Sun
machine to the UUCP mail server we're currently using.

What I need to know is: How do I need to set up my UUCP
confuguration such that I can use the socksified telnet
to make the connection to the UUCP server instead of a
direct dialup connection? I've been reading about making
changes to the inetd.conf, Systems, Dialers, etc., but
all the information I've seen seems to assume a direct
connection using the "standard" UNIX commands. If it's
as simple as replacing a standard command or two with the
socksified version(s), I could do that, but I'd rather not
for fear of breaking something else.

Greg

Post by Garry Garre » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I've got a Sun machine running SunOS 4.1.3, as well as
>a proxy server (currently running on a Linux box, but
>may be changed to a NT machine, although that shouldn't
>matter for this question). I've downloaded and installed
>a "socksified" version of telnet, and can now telnet
>directly (well, through the proxy server) from the Sun
>machine to the UUCP mail server we're currently using.

>What I need to know is: How do I need to set up my UUCP
>confuguration such that I can use the socksified telnet
>to make the connection to the UUCP server instead of a
>direct dialup connection? I've been reading about making
>changes to the inetd.conf, Systems, Dialers, etc., but
>all the information I've seen seems to assume a direct
>connection using the "standard" UNIX commands. If it's
>as simple as replacing a standard command or two with the
>socksified version(s), I could do that, but I'd rather not
>for fear of breaking something else.

You can do UUCP over a network rather than dial up.  I'd
get a copy of O'Reily's book on the subject of UUCP.

I suspect that you may have to download the source code
to UUCP from somewhere and socksify it.  To socksify a
program, you simply replace 6 function calls with their
socks equivalent (instead of connect() it's rconnect(),
etc.), so in the UUCP source code, you grep for the 6
function calls that you need and replace them with the
socks ones (this info is documented in the SOCKs man
pages).

What might be easier (but perhaps more dangerous), would
be to setup your linux box with UUCP as it can forward
stuff via UUCP.  If linux is replaced by NT (one has to
ask why), then you could get an NT based UUCP program.
Heck, DOS had WAFFLE, a BBS that did UUCP, I'm sure an
NT version of UUCP must exist.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o    see my homepage for a "mailto:" tag
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>   to send me e-mail...
Mailstop 2-A             4
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems  - http://www.csgsys.com/
CSG Internal - http://intranet/unixops/
My Homepage  - http://monarch.papillion.ne.us/~ggarrett

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.