Wu FTPD

Post by paul carruthe » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:51:13

I have inherited a wu ftpd install on a solaris 8 ( intel ) box.

I have noticed something interesting.  If I ftp on as myself its fine,
through the ftp client ( ws ftp ) which appears to use the LIST
command and also its fine through a command prompt when I use ls or ls
-l commands.  However if I login as a different user using ws ftp it
fails to pull back a directory listing.  ls -l and ls works fine for
this user.  Any clues ?

Its version 2.6.2

( The  above users, the user that doesnt work with LIST command (
wsftp client ) is a member of the guestgroup as set in /etc/ftpaccess

Paul

Wu FTPD

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 06:48:02

> I have inherited a wu ftpd install on a solaris 8 ( intel ) box.

> I have noticed something interesting.  If I ftp on as myself its fine,
> through the ftp client ( ws ftp ) which appears to use the LIST
> command and also its fine through a command prompt when I use ls or ls
> -l commands.  However if I login as a different user using ws ftp it
> fails to pull back a directory listing.  ls -l and ls works fine for
> this user.  Any clues ?

> Its version 2.6.2

> ( The  above users, the user that doesnt work with LIST command (
> wsftp client ) is a member of the guestgroup as set in /etc/ftpaccess

Try searching Google and Google groups.  The problem has to do with ls
and LIST being internal commands and ls -l calling the system's ls.  I
can't remember the exact details or how to fix it though.

--
+ http://www.not-real.org/~nick                                   +
+ How valuable is my contribution? Share your feedback at Affero: +

1. wu-ftpd with RH v7 sending auth packet/wu-ftp connection delays SOLUTION

You can disable rfc931 in wu-ftp all you want, but it will not help unless
you also disable it in xinetd.

Check /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd  for:
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID

USERID forces xinetd to do a identd lookup on the remote user.
Most times the userid is useless anyway, so you can just
change USERID to HOST to log the IP address instead.

        log_on_success          += DURATION HOST
        log_on_failure          += HOST

killall -USR2 xinetd  to restart/reread the config changes
and you should be in business.

BTW - Telnet access experiences no such delay, because xinetd is
not configured with log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
USERID is only called for on the login failure, which you would not
notice the delay on.

Cheers
George

2. packetsniffer?

3. wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

4. How do I get Linux OFF my hard drive?

5. Wu.ftpd or linux-ftpd?

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

7. in.ftpd zombie problem with wu-ftpd on RH6

8. small improvement to diff

9. FreeBSD ftpd 6.0 vs wu-ftpd 2.4

10. Weirdness of solaris ftpd and wu-ftpd

11. How to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot?

12. wu-ftpd or pro-ftpd

13. ftpd wu.ftpd not starting up